Who shoots other disciplines?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Hamster

Who shoots other disciplines?

Post by Hamster »

Just curious, how many Olympic Pistol regulars shoot (or have shot) other handgun disciplines? Where I shoot (southwestern British Columbia) Olympic/ISSF pistol shooters are a small minority. There's way more tactical style shooting, mainly IPSIC, some PPC. These tactical folks are a different set. More camo, more lycra. They always shoot with both hands, fast, expending mucho ammo, and the targets seem to be rather close. Never tried this myself, since I'm more interested in shooting slowly for precision. Different strokes, as they say. Not saying I could do any better -- I'm using an old K38 for ISSF centre fire and have a long way to go with it. There's no NRA Bullseye around here at all, tho you'll find it just south of the border in WA State. Evidently Bullseye shooters in the US can perform accurately at 25 yards, single handed, with 45 acp, something I've never seen.
Ramon OP

Re: Who shoots other disciplines?

Post by Ramon OP »

I do airsoft for fun and to get a workout, but I consider it more a live video-game than related to issf shooting. I don't even look at the sights!

The one I love and have lots of fun with is what we call woodcutter shooting: two teams saw a beam with their guns (talk about burning ammo!). Also othe fun shooting nights organized by the club.

A couple years ago I tried IPSC but it was too complicated for me to enjoy with all the counting and planning.

Sometimes I shoot carabine, but I can't say I really enjoy it.

What I do when I want to shoot but don't want to shoot precission air pistol is to treat myself to some 50m pistol (even in a 25m range) and shoot the more dynamic disciplines at 25 and 10m (Standard, Sport, Rapid Fire).
Ramon
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I shoot NRA bullseye (.22 only) in an indoor league during the winter. In the spring, I shoot in a 200 yard centerfire rifle league that has 3 matches. It's standing only, so it's vaguely like pistol. Being used to shooting with one hand with all the wobble of pistol, I find rifle pretty easy. It's fun to out shoot most (and occasionally, all) of the rifle shooters who compete year 'round.

I trashed my elbow decades ago, so I don't do much centerfire shooting anymore. I used to shoot handgun silhouette a long time ago. Shooting at 200 yards with a .45 was a lot of fun.

The normal full-blown outdoor NRA bullseye match includes shooting .45 at 50 yards for slow fire, and then 25 yards for timed & rapid fire. Watching a real master shoot the .45 rapid fire at 25 yards with one hand would completely freak out a typical defense/combat shooter.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I like to shoot smallbore and air rifle, but there's just too much kit to drag around. I'm happy to spend hours shooting standing air rifle or 3P smallbore in my street clothes; no interest at all in suiting up anymore.
Dr.Don

Post by Dr.Don »

I shoot NRA bullseye and am CMP Distinguished in pistol. Air pistol is new to me and I am enjoying it, particularly during the lockdown. I also shot American skeet for a number of years.
Dr.Don
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

A shoot a bunch of things, all pretty mediocrely. Bullseye, Free Pistol, 100/200/300/600/800/1000 Yard Bench Rest, F and F-TR as well as Registered Skeet.
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
sparky

Post by sparky »

I've shot a variety of disciplines and would still shoot them all if I had the time. I shot primarily IPSC when I was a kid growing up in Germany. When my father got orders for Japan, where the only shooting was the JROTC 3-position air rifle and 10m air pistol teams, I started shooting that. I started shooting IPSC/USPSA again when I returned to the US for college and grad school, but continued shooting 10m air pistol, and started shooting Olympic Rapid Fire, and Free Pistol. What with work, getting married, having kids, and until recently, not having a space to reload, I haven't shot USPSA in a while. Instead, I've focused on disciplines that haven't required reloading. Bullseye (primarily rimfire, but I have used factory ammo for centerfire events) and 10m air pistol. Besides the pistol disciplines, I also shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

sparky wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am ... I also shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays.
My first time trying trap was a disaster. I was (and am) so used to waiting until I had a good sight picture and steady hold to start squeezing the trigger that most of the discs were on the ground before I was ready to fire.
sparky

Post by sparky »

TomAmlie wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:10 pm
sparky wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 am ... I also shoot skeet, trap, and sporting clays.
My first time trying trap was a disaster. I was (and am) so used to waiting until I had a good sight picture and steady hold to start squeezing the trigger that most of the discs were on the ground before I was ready to fire.
Traditionally, shotgun shooters say they don't "aim," they "point," which doesn't make sense to me. After all, if you're aligning your barrel in some relation to a target, what are you doing if not "aiming?" Regardless, in IPSC/USPSA, I learned to use an "acceptable" sight picture for a given shot. A 5 yard, full exposure target? Muzzle pointed in the general direction is probably good enough. A target 50 yards away with half of it obscured? Carefully align the sights (or pay attention to the dot).

My greatest difficulty has been my impatience, especially late in matches. Sometimes, I get really impatient during the last 10 shots in 10m AP matches, or the last few strings in a bullseye matches, and I start accepting sight pictures that I shouldn't, or I try to rush it and force shots when I should really put the gun down and start my process over.
David M

Post by David M »

Its actually the other way round, I am an old Blackpowder shooter who shoots Issf.
You have to keep the fun in it......
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

NRA shooting is all there is remaining in the North West. With the exception of a 50 foot Indoor Standard Pistol or Center Fire (22lr only) at West Seattle. They also host a 60 shot Air Gun match prior during the Winter months.

Lately, I have been shooting a 40-65 Black Powder Cartridge rifle at the local cast bullet matches. I am drawn to the mechanics of the game. Cast your own bullets, lube them in a pie tin, prepare and load the brass cartridge, etc. It's quite a bit of fun, actually. The rifle will group 2" at 200 yards easily.

Cheers,

Dave
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

indoor air pistol
NRA indoor bullseye rimfire
NRA indoor bullseye centerfire
Indoor small-bore galley rifle
NRA small-bore silhouette
NRA high-power rifle
Indoor air rifle

I am not a very good marksman and have away near the bottom of the score sheet, but I like to buy new high quality bang, bang toys.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Shotgun sports are not really based on aiming. TO shoot a shotgun well you have to have a good fit and a good mount. If your gun fits you and you are consistent in how you mount it, then you don't aim it, you keep your head on the gun and it shoots where you are looking. The gun should become a natural extension of your arm and sight line.

Many clays instructors remove both the center and muzzle beads on their students shotguns as soon as they have the fit and mount down.

Many try to bench shoot a shotgun to pattern it, only to find out when they swing it up, mount it and pull the trigger it is shooting in a much different direction then if you were rifle shooting it.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

My primary disciplines are muzzle-loading. MLAIC, and North-South Skirmish Association. ISSF, particularly 10m AP, is my winter and inclement weather training option...and my winter competition, where I get humility beaten into me. :-)
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

David M wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:50 pm Its actually the other way round, I am an old Blackpowder shooter who shoots Issf.
You have to keep the fun in it......
MLAGB shooter?
David M

Post by David M »

In Australian Blackpowder Pistol , we shoot a 25m match (20 shot precission/20 rapidfire same as ISSF C/F), a 40 shot 50m slow fire match.
As well as four modified 13 shot match for Revolver and Single shots.
The SSAA shoot Rifle, shotgun and Pistol MLAIC.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

10m AR, but primarily to break the routine of shooting 10m AP .
sparky

Post by sparky »

rkittine wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 pm Shotgun sports are not really based on aiming. TO shoot a shotgun well you have to have a good fit and a good mount. If your gun fits you and you are consistent in how you mount it, then you don't aim it, you keep your head on the gun and it shoots where you are looking. The gun should become a natural extension of your arm and sight line.

Many clays instructors remove both the center and muzzle beads on their students shotguns as soon as they have the fit and mount down.

Many try to bench shoot a shotgun to pattern it, only to find out when they swing it up, mount it and pull the trigger it is shooting in a much different direction then if you were rifle shooting it.

Bob
aim - /ām/, verb, gerund or present participle: aiming
1. point or direct (a weapon or camera) at a target.
ex: "aim the camcorder at some suitable object"

point - /point/, verb, gerund or present participle: pointing
1. direct or aim (something) at someone or something.
"he pointed the flashlight beam at the floor"

So what's the difference between aiming and pointing again?
Dr.Don

Post by Dr.Don »

Perhaps the real difference is in what you look at. The shotgun sports are by and large moving target sports. Try just pointing your finger at a bird as it flies over, or at a pretty girl across the street. You will immediately notice that you never look at your finger when you do this. You "see" your arm and finger and your brain knows where it is, but you always "look" at the target (the bird or the girl). That's what we do in pointing a shotgun. In the precision rifle and pistol sports we are taught to focus tightly on the front sight and pretty much ignore the target, although we certainly "see" it. That's aiming.
Dr.Don
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Might be symantecs, I know people that pattern their shotguns by Rifle Shooting them, i.e. Lining up the beads like you would line up the sights on your target gun, which I would call aiming. Pointing would be like when I throw up my short barreled pistol and shot it without looking at the sites to see how well I can hit a life size target at 7 yards, gun is no where near in the line of sight.

In any case, I never look at the barrel / rib on my shotguns when I shoot. My line of sight is well about the barrel and bead line.

In shotgun shooting, especially with crossing targets, you need to be able to see a target in your peripheral vision so you know how to track it. Since you also shoot where you think the bird is going to be by the time the shot gets there (lead) you are not even pointing the gun at the bird itself. Most competitive shooters shoot with both eyes open for this reason, again kind of eliminating the whole aiming idea.

Bob
Last edited by rkittine on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV