Handstops

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Twdmar

Handstops

Post by Twdmar »

I am looking for a new handstop for using on a wood stocked rifle. I have wrist issues from doing Judo and prefer one that rotates a little. I use a tube gun with a round handguard for highpower and rotating the tube is much more comfortable .
Has anyone tried the tec-hro ergonomic or anschutz integral or have any suggestions? Thanks
Tim S

Re: Handstops

Post by Tim S »

A club mate has the Tec-Hro, and I helped him to adjust it. IMO the ball joint allows some intersting movement, but it's not the easiest to set up, and I was not convinced that it would hold adjustment.

You can't rotate a wooden stock like a tubegun, but have you thought of a spacer for your support hand to mimic this? An assymetric wedge would allow your wrist to lie at a natural and comfortable angle, and bring the weight of the rifle onto the arm bones.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twdmar

Post by Twdmar »

Tim,
I had not thought of a wedge but it's an idea. The latest stock I am building has the hand guard tapered so I angles up towards the barrel from the trigger guard and i shaped it to be pretty round. In the past i have used the little button style handstops to use the sling to push hand down without handstop contact.
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

I’ve been using the MEC Handstop for a couple years. Quite adjustable. I’m enjoying it.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

It seems like handstops are very personal. I haven't tried the Tec-Hro Ergonomic nor the Anschutz Integral, but I have used the MEC exclusively for several years. During my recent prone practice sessions, I experienced the familiar numbness and pain in the web of my hand after 20+ shots while loading with my rifle shouldered. After reading the thread here from May 2nd, "Hand falling asleep," I began to wonder if the MEC handstop is too small in diameter and if maybe a larger diameter stop would spread the pressure out? I happen to have a couple of spare Anschutz 6226 handstops (The MEC is .675" while the Anschutz 6226 measures 1.245") that I purchased as loaners for folks to use during our winter league, so today I swapped one onto my rifle and tried it. Today's range session was more comfortable. The numbness took longer to appear and disappeared more quickly when I took the rifle out of my shoulder, though I also used a different shooting glove.

I am curious about the Anschutz 4752, which is like the MEC in design but it appears that the stop itself is larger in diameter. Prior to the MEC handstops, I was shooting a BSA MK II and used the stop that came with it. That handstop was definitely larger (much larger). Prone wasn't terribly comfortable then either, though I'm sure it was due to a combination of factors, especially a very muzzle heavy rifle.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

BBerg,

I used the Anschutz 4752 for the best part of ten years, and really liked it. As you say it can swivel to meet the thumb V and locate the rifle over the heel. Unlike the MEC, the 4672 pivots eccentrically about a spigot, so I think it has a greater range of movement. However, as the swivel attaches to the stop, rotating the stop changed sling tension, at least for me.

The stop can also be lowered to vary sling tension; when I did this I found that the gap between the stop and stock pinched my hand. A wedge of pencil rubber and some tape fixed that, and as far as I'm aware it's still holding up for another owner.

The only complaint I had was breaking the QD lever. Some of the internal parts are cast. It still locks securely, by the QD lever is now a key.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

TimS

What handstop are you using now?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I have a System Gemini. I found one second hand to replace the Anschutz, then bought another to colour match a stock. It's roughly the same diameter as the 4752 and has lots of lateral movement. Depth adjustment is by spacers. It is expensive mind, and it doesn't work with the screw-in stud on a Centra sling.