Centering the front sight on IZH-46m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
oddjack

Centering the front sight on IZH-46m

Post by oddjack »

The front sight post is not centered. Which front sight pusher to use?
Thanks
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Centering the front sight on IZH-46m

Post by atomicgale »

WTF?

What happen' to Morini v. Steyr?

Front sight "pusher" on an IZZY?

Just pick up the gun & shoot it.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Zero the gun, its a ten meter target pistol, if you can wind tbe knobs and center the group, why mess with it....... My TOZ front sight isnt perpindicular to the rear sight...... It still shoots 10s when I do my job......
Rover

Post by Rover »

"My TOZ front sight isnt perpindicular to the rear sight."

A common problem: I had the same problem on mine. I know there must be some kind of fix, but what I did was take a mill file to the top of the rear sight, shaving it down on a diagonal until it was "square" with the front sight. I then used a 3/16" chain saw file to make a U notch (just like a REAL Russian). Now I don't feel like my head is crooked.

With the air pistol, "Good Luck."
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

oddjack wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 pm The front sight post is not centered. Which front sight pusher to use?
Thanks
The front sight isn't in a dovetail, so you can't "push" it. If you loosen the mounting screws, you may be able to wiggle the blade and/or mount enough to get it straight. If I remember correctly, the front blade has a hole in it that a pin on the end of the screw goes into. If you need more adjustment than the factory supplied hole, use a needle file to elongate the hole slightly.

Be warned. IZH's are built with very limited quality control. More than one has been shipped with the barrel installed rotated enough that the sights are very crooked. If yours is one of those, the usual recourse is to send it back to the seller. I spoke with one dealer, and that was how they got most of their spare parts. Getting spares out of Russia (even when we were dealing with them regularly) was very difficult, so cannibalizing defective pistols was their only recourse.
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

Gwhite wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 am
oddjack wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 pm The front sight post is not centered. Which front sight pusher to use?
Thanks
The front sight isn't in a dovetail, so you can't "push" it. If you loosen the mounting screws, you may be able to wiggle the blade and/or mount enough to get it straight. If I remember correctly, the front blade has a hole in it that a pin on the end of the screw goes into. If you need more adjustment than the factory supplied hole, use a needle file to elongate the hole slightly.

Be warned. IZH's are built with very limited quality control. More than one has been shipped with the barrel installed rotated enough that the sights are very crooked. If yours is one of those, the usual recourse is to send it back to the seller. I spoke with one dealer, and that was how they got most of their spare parts. Getting spares out of Russia (even when we were dealing with them regularly) was very difficult, so cannibalizing defective pistols was their only recourse.
GWhite
I am not talking about the whole sight. I am talking about the post that slides into it. IZH even provides a narrower one to change it. All I need to do is center it. It's visibly off center. It's a little to the right, all my shots are landing about 5 inches to the left. I dont want to tap it, it may do damage.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

The muzzle weight, that holds the front sight, has a screw underneath it.

Unscrew that, you can rotate front sight right or left, then tighten screw.

Those Russian pistols are crude, but well designed.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

"My TOZ front sight isnt perpindicular to the rear sight."

I have a 35M with the same issue.

My fix was to remove the blade, then remove the blade support from the barrel (there is a set screw hidden by the blade).
Fill the notch for the set screw on the barrel with J-B Weld and reinstall.
Before tightening, I checked front/rear alignment by placing the pistol upside down on the kitchen marble counter top (flattest surface I have at home).
oddjack

Post by oddjack »

gimgim wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm "My TOZ front sight isnt perpindicular to the rear sight."

I have a 35M with the same issue.

My fix was to remove the blade, then remove the blade support from the barrel (there is a set screw hidden by the blade).
Fill the notch for the set screw on the barrel with J-B Weld and reinstall.
Before tightening, I checked front/rear alignment by placing the pistol upside down on the kitchen marble counter top (flattest surface I have at home).
How did you remove the blade? Did you tap it out?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you have removed screw #71, the front sight blade should just lift out. The screw has a pin on the end that goes into the hole in the blade, so loosening the screw is not enough.
IZH-46M Front Sight Assembly.jpg
IZH-46M Front Sight Assembly.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 1578 times