Considering my first PCP pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dr.Don

Considering my first PCP pistol

Post by Dr.Don »

I'm mostly a bullseye shooter but have been using a 1980's vintage Daisy 777 during the lockdown. I'm considering getting a PCP pistol to work with but I need some advice on cylinder filling. Do most of you use a scuba type tank, one of the small compressors, or what? I'm 74 and not sure I want the workout of a hand pump, but that's no doubt the cheapest way. How many hand pump strokes does it take to fill a 200 bar cylinder? Which way should I go with this?
Dr.Don
william

Re: Considering my first PCP pistol

Post by william »

When you get to be our age, hand pumping is a pain in the... shoulder.

A scuba tank will last forever. Dive shops will refill cheap with the driest air that can be had, and dry is very important to your pistol's internals. Fact is, my local dive shop is so amused by how slowly I go from 3000 psi down to 2000, they've never charged me a cent to refill. Maybe they take pity on me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hand pumps are not the cheapest way to go. You can find a used SCUBA tank relatively cheap.

If you're too lazy/feeble/cheap to fill a cylinder, maybe you should look for a much cheaper CO2 gun.

I personally would look for a SSP for a step up in hardware plus getting a LITTLE exercise for the least $$$.

Others too lazy/feeble/cheap may feel otherwise.

I'm sure Dive Shops DO take pity on Sweet William.
JulianL

Post by JulianL »

I've used both hand pumps and SCUBA tanks. Even though hand pumps are multi-stage it does take some effort to use a hand pump due to the high pressures that need to be reached to fill to 200 bar/~3000 PSI. With my Hill MK4 it must have taken me 40+ pumps to fill my air cylinder and that is not from empty. Great workout, but takes some effort. Plus, at some point you'll have to perform maintenance and that is a messy affair.

SCUBA tanks are the easiest way to go. Fills are inexpensive, and it takes quite a while before needing to refill. It takes seconds to fill your pistol's air cylinder versus minutes on a hand pump. Also as pointed out the air from a SCUBA tank is very dry. Humidity can be a problem for hand pumps even if you have a dry air filter attached to the hand pump. I started seeing corrosion from humidity on my DIN to cylinder adapters and elsewhere. You definitely don't want your cylinders or pistol to start corroding.

The cost of a hand pump is about $180 to $220. You can get a new SCUBA tank with DIN adapter for less than that. A quick search on Diver-Supply.com shows an 80 cubic feet tank with adapter for $154 with used ones going for less. Get the standard pressure tank. No need for a high pressure (HP) tank which costs and weighs more. I filled up my tank end of last October and haven't needed a refill yet. My cylinders still fill to 150+ bar which is still more than 100 shots worth of air on my pistols.

You can also go with a compressor, but the high pressure ones are expensive and noisy.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I am 73 and use a SCUBA tank. Fills are cheap, but remember that one also must periodically have a hydrostatic pressure check done on the cylinder (every 5 years?) to ensure they are still sound. As stated above, one SCUBA tank fill lasts quite some time.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

We use the SCUBA tank method.

Research what size tanks are available and can the shop fill them.

You need to ask for a DIN 200 valve. Take the fill adapter supplied with the pistol into the dive shop to ensure the correct valve.

I have two SCUBA tanks...

One is a 100 Cubic Foot tank that can be filled to 3300 PSI. It will fill a lot of cylinders.

The other is a gift from my diving friend. It is a 4500 PSI tank and will fill many many cylinders.

The second tank is Steel. I would avoid the fancy Carbon Fiber tanks as they have a mandatory disposal of ten years, regardless of Hydro test.

A word of CAUTION. Both are above the 200 BAR (2900 PSI) rating of the pistol cylinder. If you crack the valve on the SCUBA tank SLOWLY and watch the fill gauge on the end of your cylinder all should be fine.

Note that once the SCUBA tank reaches 2900 PSI the number of shots per fill will decrease.

Also, there is a mandatory Hydro test every five years, I believe, and an annual "visual inspection".

SCUBA air is much better as there is NO MOISTURE in the tank. Something difficult to attain with home compressors and hand pumps.

Cheers,

Dave
spektr

Post by spektr »

JulianL wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:20 pm
No need for a high pressure (HP) tank which costs and weighs more.
BUY the scuba tank that matches your air pistol pressure. Its so much simpler
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Another option is to check oxy/acetylene/argon tank exchange businesses as they often have 200 bar G size cylinders that can be tested and have an adapter fitted then filled with enough air to last you until you can’t raise it anymore ( the pistol that is ).
Rover

Post by Rover »

deadeyedick wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:47 am Another option is to check oxy/acetylene/argon tank exchange businesses as they often have 200 bar G size cylinders that can be tested and have an adapter fitted then filled with enough air to last you until you can’t raise it anymore ( the pistol that is ).
You can also get nitrogen (better than air) from them, and they will pick up and deliver to your place.