Budget optics for prone rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Supe

Budget optics for prone rifle?

Post by Supe »

Hi everyone!

It's been about 15 years since I left the world of competitive shooting, but I'm finally at a point where I'd like to head to the range to enjoy plinking and the occasional prone session. Most of my gear has survived years of moves and travel, but my trusty bargain bin BSA 6-24x scope that saw hundreds of regional matches and a decade+ of Camp Perry trips has finally given up the ghost and won't hold a zero.

Is there any sub $500 (I won't hold it against you if you suggest something cheaper) glass worth looking at these days for the casual shooter? As much as I still dream about the times I was able to shoot with good Leopold and Swarovski glass, that is just not in the budget. I do prefer a fine reticle, but can make do with a 1/8 dot or fine duplex. Ring recommendations would also be welcome - 2313/Anschutz dovetail, and I normally would use an ESP riser block.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated!
bberg7794

Re: Budget optics for prone rifle?

Post by bberg7794 »

I had the same dilemma a few years ago and picked up a used steel tubed El Paso Weaver T-16 off Ebay for around $400. It has a fine crosshair with a tiny dot, the turrets track perfectly, and you can set zero where you wish. I cannot always see .22 holes at 100 yards through this scope, but I can see them if the sun is shining on the target.

They were also available in 20X and 25X (T-20, T-25) and there is also a newer T-24 that I think has an aluminum tube.

I think they are a good budget optic for a prone rifle.

BB
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Since you really like (?) the scope you have now, you might want to call Optical Services Co., Santa Teresa, Texas, and talk to Cheryl Ackerman. She and her dad own the company. They rebuild scopes of all kinds. Tell her what you need, etc., and maybe she can rebuild your scope ("maybe" being the operative word). They have an excellent reputation and work on all kinds of scopes. Don't know what the turnaround time is today, you'll need to ask. They rebuilt my steel tube Weaver T-20 and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it now.... their phone number is (915) 740-4290. or email at: cheryl@targetshooteroptics.com Their website is www.targetshooteroptics.com Good luck !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Supe

Post by Supe »

bberg7794 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:43 pm They were also available in 20X and 25X (T-20, T-25) and there is also a newer T-24 that I think has an aluminum tube.

I think they are a good budget optic for a prone rifle.

BB
You know, I had not given any thought to the fixed power scopes, but perhaps I should! I always shot prone at 24x, sometimes wishing for a bit more, but would dial it back to the teens when shooting standing and kneeling. Since I have no intention of position shooting with a scope, a fixed power makes more sense if it gets me better optics for the price point. I forgot that I spent some years as a sub-junior shooting with a fixed Unertyl!
40xguy wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:40 pm Since you really like (?) the scope you have now, you might want to call Optical Services Co., Santa Teresa, Texas, and talk to Cheryl Ackerman. She and her dad own the company. They rebuild scopes of all kinds. Tell her what you need, etc., and maybe she can rebuild your scope ("maybe" being the operative word). They have an excellent reputation and work on all kinds of scopes. Don't know what the turnaround time is today, you'll need to ask. They rebuilt my steel tube Weaver T-20 and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it now.... their phone number is (915) 740-4290. or email at: cheryl@targetshooteroptics.com Their website is www.targetshooteroptics.com Good luck !!
"Like" is a strong word. It was a cheap aluminum tube scope we had picked up in my teens that never had the best light gathering or eye relief, but I always made it work "good enough" since I shot irons 95% of the time. My eyes aren't nearly as good today as they were back then, so I think an upgrade is probably the better alternative than throwing money at what was a <$300 scope. I may reach out to them and see if they have any second hand rebuilds kicking around, though!
ywaltzucanrknrl

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I look also. I like the Leupold (used) 6x24 Target or EFR. Also the older Bushnell. I've picked up one Leupold 6x24 Target below $500 and one EFR for about $75 over that. I've also picked up a couple of nice Bushnell's for under $400.
In fact this morning I saw a Leupold 6x24 target for sale on US Rifle Teams for $500 and I'm tempted.

I think you can find a good one for $500 if you are patient and watch. I also like the old Weaver T series as mentioned above---very solid scopes, but watch the glass, some are dim and cloudy.

Sightron's are on my used look for list also.

Good luck.
Supe

Post by Supe »

Thanks, I will add Bushnell and Sightron to the lookout list. I had completely forgotten about Bushnell, which was also popular back when I was active.

Has anyone had any experience with Sun Optics at all?
shakestheclown

Post by shakestheclown »

The current Weaver T-24 is good. They have a fine crosshair with a dot and track well. The newest side focus ones are more expensive, but I have seen them on sale under $500. I have one of the older AO ones and I like it a lot. They are discontinued, but maybe you can still find one or get one used. I get enough pulse with the 24x magnification, so 36x would be too much for me.
Don F.

220, 221. Whatever it takes.
DMR

Post by DMR »

I just ordered the Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x 50 mm. It has an illuminated dot and fine crosshairs. With a 3" sunshade and mounts it was just over $300 from Opticsplanet. The reviews made it sound like a solid well built scope, it was recommended to me by another shooter. I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I'd go with the Weaver.
I always liked the 20, but if you are just using it for Prone, the 24 is great,
I just bought a T36 for benchrest and I love it.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

A used leupold of 24, 25 or 36 power can be had for between $400 and $550. I would recommend one of those. Rimfire central classified usually has one of those for sale, usually at higher prices but deals can be found.