Beretta 76 Opinions?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John C

Beretta 76 Opinions?

Post by John C »

I'm looking for a club level standard pistol, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the older Beretta pistols, specifically the model 76. I'm wondering how it compares to other entry level pistols like the Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II/III/IV.
samg

Re: Beretta 76 Opinions?

Post by samg »

The Beretta 76 is a very nice pistol. It is more on par with the S&W M41. Beware, however, if there is any play between the barrel/slide assembly and the frame the thing is toast.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Stick with a pistol that has a parts supply, like the Ruger.
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks, samg, for the input. I specifically appreciate the tip about frame/slide play.

Greg, normally I would agree, but I’m currently outside the US, in a place where Beretta 76s are $300, but Rugers are $500. Plus Beretta parts are much more available. Back home, I have several Buckmarks and higher end pistols.
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

I can't comment on the Beretta 76 particularly but having tried a number of older standard pistols for club level ISSF rules competition, I've found that my DES 69 is more accurate than my S&W 41 (adjustable target grips on both). And they are a long way ahead of any Buck Mark or Ruger on the line. Haven't ever seen a Beretta 76 in use. It appears to have a relatively high bore line, like the US pistols. Many people find the lower bore line of the euro target pistols easier to shoot well. I sure do. They don't have to be expensive. Where I live (Canada) you can buy a good used DES 69 or FAS 602 for around CDN$600. I think that's the most cost effective way to get into this kind of shooting.
samg

Post by samg »

I have to agree with Hamster. The DES 69 is a fantastic gun. I thought of mentioning it in my previous response. Along with being a very accurate target pistol it has a hammer block so you can dry fire it all day with no ill effects. I don’t know of another UIT grade pistol with this feature. Between the Beretta 76 and the DES 69 I would definitely go with the DES.
Leon

Post by Leon »

My first target handgun was a Beretta 76. My opinion = absolute rubbish.

Knowing what I know now, I can only shake my head and think - "you poor deluded fool".

Get one of the others mentioned , Unique 69U, Ruger or FAS 602 ( highly recommended)
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

Over the years I've owned just about every .22lr handgun capable of holding the nine ring. Although I still have one because it's fun to shoot and a fine example of engineering art, the 76 does not have a very good trigger. You can score better with a Buckmark, modified Ruger, or Walther Xesse. The DES69 was one of my favorites but, sadly, it is history and is no longer supported. Same applies to the FAS602.
John C

Post by John C »

Once again, I really appreciate the comments. I agree, if I can find a better pistol, I'll grab it, but the reason I ask is that Beretta 76es are all over the place, and very inexpensive. That said, I don't want to get plinker-grade gun.

If I found a DES-69 or FAS 602 (or IZH-35M, etc), I'll definitely grab one. I've seen FAS 602s for sale, but not frequently. I think shooters hold on to these, while the Beretta 76 is the Ruger Mark II of this part of the world. Cheap, but accurate enough. This is why I asked.

Beretta 87T and 89 are also readily available, but not as common as the 76. These are also in $350-$400 range. Any comment on these as club level pistols? Parts and service are available. Rugers and Buckmarks are more expensive, and with limited parts and support.

Leon; what was your specific experience with the Beretta 76? Was it reliability, accuracy, something else, or all three?
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Hamster wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:09 am Where I live (Canada) you can buy a good used DES 69 or FAS 602 for around CDN$600. I think that's the most cost effective way to get into this kind of shooting.
For other Canadians :
Just had to give my recommendation for Tradeex. Never know what they might have in stock, but has been a source for DES69s
(1 currently) and FAS602s (5 currently) all under CAN$600. I bought my FAS607 from them.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
spektr

Post by spektr »

I started with a s&w 22a.......

Trust me, buy a better gun. You will rapidly outshoot the Beretta and you will
rip your hair out wondering if its you or the gun....... Buy an excuse eliminator,
and move on......
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Leon
Post by Leon » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm

My first target handgun was a Beretta 76. My opinion = absolute rubbish.

Knowing what I know now, I can only shake my head and think - "you poor deluded fool".

Get one of the others mentioned , Unique 69U, Ruger or FAS 602 ( highly recommended)

Tell us what you really think Leon ...🧐....and then let me say that I agree with you completely.

Especially the reference to considering a Domino/ FAS 602.

The Beretta has a crap trigger and really should not be considered unless you want to shoot a case of empty beer cans after drinking them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"The Beretta has a crap trigger and really should not be considered unless you want to shoot a case of empty beer cans after drinking them."

And what, may I ask (hic), is wrong with that?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I’ll drink to that...🍺