3p new barrel - which one? Shilen, Lilja??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bshootmore

3p new barrel - which one? Shilen, Lilja??

Post by bshootmore »

Im not getting the accuracy wanted out of my 3p used rifle, 14.64mm at 50m just too big.- Lapua test center. Yes ill try some RWS and Eley before retiring this barrel. Seeking under 12mm. less than 10mm is a dream.

Which barrel and how long? build is for a Jr. so 20" is better than 26 from that perspective.
Can't control the world, just my aim, well most of the time.....
jhmartin

Re: 3p new barrel - which one? Shilen, Lilja??

Post by jhmartin »

If you are keen over on that path-----
Also look at Benchmark 3 groove ... had a few guns done with those with very good results
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

This recent thread has some good recommendations for various vendors

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61759
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Just a note to add that I've used Mark Penrod of Penrod Precision to do my daughters 1907 bbl & have recommended him and they have done a FWB and a Walther as well. do a search for Penrod in this forum and you'll get lots of links and his contact info
Kewton

Post by Kewton »

I 2nd the Benchmark 3 grove shoots better than we can shoot by far. The folks at Benchmark are great to deal with no reason to look elsewhere. Howard Pitts did a fine job not sure what area you in but can’t go wrong with Howard he’s a great guy.
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

i'm in Arizona. Decided to go with a new rifle from Anschutz custom shop in Las Vegas. Steve really knows his stuff and he is an avid shooter. They replace the factory Anschutz 5430 with Shilen barrel, add a tuner etc. This barrel will be 21-22", weight is a concern for Jr. hoping for 7-9mm groups at 50m. Adding a tuner too.

We have a Anschutz Silhouette hunter class with a Lilja barrel that is a tack driver. Under a dime at 100 yards with Center-X. It shoots way better than I can.

Future, I'd like to try a Benchmark. Next one will likely be re barreled by myself. PTG has the reams/gauges. I have been building my own match winning HP center fires for quite a while. Seems a natural progression to build the rimfire. Just too busy now.

Thanks everyone!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

7-9mm groups at 50m, that's measured centre to centre right? 7-9 mm groups measured edge to edge would be fantastic over ten shots; Eley's range record is something like 8.8mm. Although 7-9mm c-c is only a little better than the 14.6mm groups you reported getting from the Lapua test centre.

A 21-22in barrel would be appreciably lighter than a 26-27in Anschutz barrel, and balance further back.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

I understood edge to edge. So we will see.
The factory offered these 10 shot groups at 50m from 5430 Factory barrel (not custom Shilen)
group3.jpg
group2.jpg
group.jpg
group.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

For those of us not in the US, how big is the coin? EDIT so a dime is 17.91mm dia. Those groups are nice, but not 7-9mm edge to edge (the smudges at the actual edge not the hole).

Those factory groups were shot with the barrel (no stock) clamped into a vice, and so are not directly comparable to Lapua/Eley test groups where the receiver is held in a fixture and the barrel free floats. The group in the handbook is also cherry picked to the best of my knowledge.

If Anschutz North America's Custom Shop will guarantee ten shot test groups under 9mm edge-to-edge, get it in writing and buy a lottery ticket straight away.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

"If Anschutz North America's Custom Shop will guarantee ten shot test groups under 9mm edge-to-edge, get it in writing and buy a lottery ticket straight away."

That action and ammo combo will go for big money.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

For future folks with this issue, you can try investing in a nice torque wrench and changing the torque on your bedding screws. This can save time and money over a new barrel or adding a tuner; time and money that can be utilized on the practice range!
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I believe your expectations may not be in line with reality. Here is why?
Eley posted a new range record for a projected 60 shot score of 643.6 yet the edge to edge diameter of that group was 15.6mm over 60 shots. I don't have the 10 shot group best size, you would have to ask Morgan Dietrich.
Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/ELEYUSA/photos ... =1&theater
A Shilen Ratchet barrel. 2/13/2017

From the Lapua side their range record, as shown to me by the person who holds it, was 9.96mm @50M and 17mm @100 from the same batch but 10 shot groups.
Again, a Shilen Ratchet barrel. 8/22/19

So a Shilen Ratchet barrel has set test range records at different places with different ammunition.

7-9mm might be overly optimistic. My best lot of Eley tested to a score of 632.9 with a 60 shot diameter of 18.5. It just barely beat out my Lapua control lot by .5 points over 60 shots. If you can find 12mm-13mm consistency in a test lot, and you do your part I believe you would have the capability to win anything.
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

See the photos for my testing several years ago. 40 shot agg is what a shooter wants, no fliers. A single 10 shot group can be great but if the next one can’t repeat it then you are in a tough spot.

10xII action, 1” shilen ratchet barrel, 21” long. uptagraft tuner bloop tube. Bix&Andy trigger
Attachments
7033C1BD-33F9-4546-8039-3E9C3D43F603.png
8643EE3D-2170-4152-A9F8-C6BE9C0E6473.png
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

Good, I have a Vudoo .22 with the Kukri 20" barrel, that proved out at 11.9 @ 50m (under12 as suggested) with Lapua Midas.- that will be my 3p rifle. Might try a tuner to tighten that.
Waiting on the Anschutz custom for the Junior. Hoping for better. It will have a Shilen barrel. Maybe 6 weeks to go.

Help fund the Junior - see
support Talented Jr. Olympic hopeful, share the dream by making a donation and spreading the word.
Hello Friends, Help support the Olympics and our youth. We have an immediate need to reach the amount of $12,000 in 8 weeks for some of the equipment. Contribute and send to your contacts to help us make the goal. Thank you in advance.
I'm Maximus, Max for short, and my dream is to compete and win for the USA in the 2028 Olympics. I have been shooting rifles since I was 8. At age 9 I started competing at local .22 LR caliber Silhouette matches . At 10 I built my own rifle. Ever since I first started, people have been te...
View fundraiser -see more at
https://www.gofundme.com/f/talented-jr- ... supporters
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

did you try to give your old barrel a real good scrubbing with bronze wire brush?
(background on this too much to type out here)
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Out of interest does the Vudoo work well single loading? It's USPs seem to be a magazine and controlled round feed? Looking to the future, does anyone make a good 3-Position stock inlet for a R700/40X?
Last edited by Tim S on Thu May 14, 2020 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

old Anschutz & Vudoo - did not clean b4 test

Lapua did the tests, not sure how they loaded.
Vudoo has a single shot adapter available online. Do I need one for shooting the 1200? Just getting the gear ready for the first match.

I'm going to try an MPA stock cause I like it for many other disciplines and I own one. Also going to try it for Palma. If that does not work out I'll likely go with McMillan. Both work for Rem 700 clones (Vudoo .22 is a Rem 700 clone).
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Is this for serious competition, or just participating? I can see F-Class, Prone, and Silhouette on McMillan's website, but no Position stock. The MPA has some adjustment built-in, although no more than my 40 year old Anschutz.

Edit, check the rule book for single loading. ISSF/Olympic rules do not allow the use of magazines at all. I believe US-NRA allow single shooting from a magazine (i.e. as a loading platform) but not loading multiple cartridges. CRF normally requires cartridges be loading into the magazine, which may be challenging in a 3-P match.
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

thanks. Serious competition but need to get the kid funded 1st so this year funds are limited.

I was thinking the McMillan Palma stock could be used if MPA tanks. Then again could use Vudoo for prone only till next year (1200 match is all prone right?). I get plenty of offhand at SR and Silhouette.

Ill order the single shot adapter for the Vudoo and employ that.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

By Palma, do you mean the Prone? This is a copy of the Anschutz 1411 from the 1970s. Although you can shoot it Standing and Kneeling, it's optimised for the Prone position; the butt is long and straight, where 3-P stocks tend to be shorter.

If you can use the McMillan or MPA stocks for other disciplines, these may do for a while, but IMO neither is a good long term choice for high level competition. How do the prices compare to a used Anschutz?