Finger placement question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
thessler

Finger placement question

Post by thessler »

Hi
I'm new to air pistol, like alot of others I'm trying to keep myself entertained durring this disaster.
I saw a u tube video with instruction to press the trigger on an air pistol with the tip of your finger. Typically in bullseye I would use the first crease or joint, those triggers are typically setup a little harder. I'm sure you guys know all that.
So in learning air pistol what would be the propper placement of the trigger finger ?
Thanks you, Tom
AJV

Re: Finger placement question

Post by AJV »

I use the tip.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Middle of the top pad works for me.
william

Post by william »

"...what would be the propper placement of the trigger finger ?"

The one that works for you. Sorry if you think that's unresponsive, but this is something that everybody gets to figure out on their own.
Rover

Post by Rover »

william wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:30 am "...what would be the propper placement of the trigger finger ?"

The one that works for you. Sorry if you think that's unresponsive, but this is something that everybody gets to figure out on their own.
That's right. Finger it out!
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Not having the experience or expertise that so many in here do, I can tell you that you want to place your finger where ever it is, so that when you pull
back on mister trigger, you pull straight back. This is why some pistols have an adjustable trigger... meaning you can move it back and forth and also sideways. so you set it up (adjust) so that when you pull the trigger, you're pulling straight back. So Joe, someone in your club, shoots with his finger on the joint, that's him... not you. You gotta figure it out for yourself.!! Hope this helps, cause that's all I got !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
thessler

Post by thessler »

OK thanks guys
I was actually prepared for that answer. I was just wondering being the trigger is so light it may be a different process. I'll work it out.
Thanks, Tom
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The recommended starting point is to use the pad at the tip of the finger, because it is the most sensitive part. That works well for most people, but you may find a small shift is better for you.

It's also important to adjust the fore & aft position of the trigger so that the pressure is straight to the rear when the pistol fires. This will change if you modify where you place your finger.
rmca

Post by rmca »

As others have said, as a starting point you should do this:
b3ad0e3755ee196fc764a6c17ab58177.jpg
If you can shoot ten's consistently, any other way, more power to you.

Hope this helps
thessler

Post by thessler »

I like that visual, thank you.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Post by David Re: Finger placement question
Post by David Levene » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:56 am

Middle of the top pad works for me. » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:56 am

It will work for everybody.
David M

Post by David M »

There is no one correct position for the trigger finger, but generally....
Tip of Finger to Centre Pad....light triggers Free pistol and Air pistol. Short stroke.
Centre Pad.....increased trigger pull to 1000g-1200g and rapid fire firing. Medium stroke.
Inner Pad to first joint......heavier triggers, double action revolver and auto's, pull 4 to 7lbs. Long stroke.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

The object is to draw the trigger shoe in a rearward direction towards the eye, and the mechanics and geometry of the arc created my finger movement will show that the middle of the first pad provides the most controllable/ accurate and repeatable option.
The tip will have a pushing effect and the first joint means that the trigger shoe is affected by a moving tendon directly underneath which can result in a pulling effect at least and possibly result in a poi anywhere on the target.
The object is to attain a controllable and repeatable trigger release....if accuracy is your goal.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

You don't move your trigger finger to get correct placement - you move your trigger shoe to get correct placement under your finger.
rapha

Post by rapha »

I have very long fingers and if I use the tip of the index, I have to forcibly bend my index out of the guard and that does two bad things: now I have to apply subtle movement on a finger that is under stress but worst, pulling my index out opens up my hand and loosens my wrist which results in unstable sight alignment, especially laterally.
It may only work for my hand but if I can pinch the top of my grip between my thumb and the base of my index, my sight alignment remains very stable all the way after the shot which matters more to me than abiding by an arbitrary rule/advice that does not match my anatomy and produces inferior results.
Also my pistols don’t have lateral adjustments. If they did, I would adjust the shoe to my anatomy rather than the other way around.
My dream pistol would not have a trigger path that is arbitrarily aligned with the pistol, but rather a decidedly sideways (and whose angle would be adjustable) so as to match our digit joints which rotate more than they translate.