10m only soon?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Levergun59

Re: 10m only soon?

Post by Levergun59 »

So what are they going to do with Biathlon. Leave it as the only 50 meter competition in the Olympics. As it is right now, Biathlon is probably the most popular shooting discipline at the games. OK jump on me.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Levergun59 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 am So what are they going to do with Biathlon. Leave it as the only 50 meter competition in the Olympics. As it is right now, Biathlon is probably the most popular shooting discipline at the games. OK jump on me.
a) I can see no suggestion that World Cups will only be 10m, just that it will be possible for organisers to bid for a World Cup if they can only offer 10m.
b) The ISSF have nothing to do with Biathlon.
prowling

Post by prowling »

Just saw this thread, but I think this is a translation and interpretation issue. Readers seem to be confusing “shall” with “can.” When using “can” here, the intention equates to: there is an option of. Some appear to be misconstruing its usage with that of, “shall,” a verb of the imperative mood. Big difference.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Perhaps the easiest thing is to ask the ISSF to clarify?
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

BobGee wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:13 am Perhaps the easiest thing is to ask the ISSF to clarify?
Why do that when we can all exercise paranoia and victimhood?
Rifle and shotgun Worldcups can be held with different mixes of disciplines. So why not different Worldcups for 10/25/50 events?

Now, need to clarify with the ISSF. Because for the shotgun WC it's clear.
"can be divided" and should be "into" not "in".

Classic issues with rules writers even when English is their first language. Missing the consequences of changing a rule or adding one.

So, the question for the ISSF is: "If a Worldcup with only 10m events is held, what happens to the other disciplines?"

As-is the rules remain unchanged and there are no mandatory events for World Cups. There are mandatory events for World Championships. So seems the "can be 10m only" is a clarification that doesn't change the current rules.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
spektr

Post by spektr »

Heres my take on it......

Currently, Firearms are difficult to acquire, maintain and feed in most of the world.
Shotguns are much less regulated.
Perhaps this is an attempt to allow more highly regulated countries to get into the WC hosting game.
The Unasked question is actually this........

IF the ISSF allows a WC to occur with only a 10 meter range, Does that mean the
event can be split with Firearm Rifle and Pistol having their own WC in another location where National Law constraints
Will allow it. This IS WHAT NEEDS CLARIFICATION.

Truthfully, The 50/100 meter Rifle Pistol events as a stand alone WC works fine, the applicant can apply for it without the need to have a large International Trap/Skeet field........ It would also alllow Free Pistol to be shot without all the IOC exclusion BS.
jetpoweredchicken

Post by jetpoweredchicken »

This simply allows a venue that only has 10 meter facilities available to still apply for a Rifle/Pistol World Cup.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

jetpoweredchicken wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:24 pm This simply allows a venue that only has 10 meter facilities available to still apply for a Rifle/Pistol World Cup.
I think that must be it. What we have to be wary of is that a wildly successful WC with only 10m events does not set the standard for future WCs.

Bob