Fundamental question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
thessler

Fundamental question

Post by thessler »

Hi
I just bought a 10m pistol to practice with in my basement. I have always read and followed " for bullseye shooting " stare at the front sight and leave the target blurry then take your shot.
Now I'm just getting my feet wet in ten meter, but I stare at the front sight, line it up and get it close to the target. The target is much closers than I'm used to and very clear, so I find myself shifting focus at the last second to the target before taking the shot.
With a further distance target it's easy not to look at because it fuzzy, a little closer it's so clear it's distracting.
My question is at 10m what is the best procedure?
Thanks for any advice, Tom
Ramon OP

Re: Fundamental question

Post by Ramon OP »

Exactly what you are doing and learning to not be fooled by temptation. Congrats on your excellent eyesight
Rover

Post by Rover »

Buy a pair of cheap reading glasses that allow you to focus on the front sight with your eye relaxed, ignoring the bull.

On the back of the lens of your non-shooting eye, put some matte cellophane tape so that you shoot with both eyes open and receive equal light to both eyes.

If anything looks bent or warped using this method, you probably have astigmatism and need prescription shooting glasses.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

Rover, about what power readers to get started?
Stan
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The standard recommendation is to start at +0.75D (diopters). That can be a bit hard to find in many drug stores. +1.0D will work to start with. There are lots of places on-line that sell +0.75D glasses.

All that assumes that you don't already wear glasses. If you do, you can get clip-ons here: https://shootingsight.com/product/clip-on-flip-lens/
Rover

Post by Rover »

That sounds about right. I used to get my glasses at the $.99 Store, for--you guessed it-- 99 cents. For that price you can buy two or three different ones and play with them.
batty

Post by batty »

You could also get your eyes tested by an optician asking them to check your eyes for a focus point at the foresight distance
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Asking for glasses that focus at your front sight is too strong a correction for most people. It makes the target very blurry. Some shooters like more or less correction depending on how sharp they want the front sight vs how blurry they want the target. A lot of that will also depend on the amount of light in your range. Brighter lights will force you iris to close down, which will increase the spread of distance over which things look in focus (depth of field).
David M

Post by David M »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:43 pm The standard recommendation is to start at +0.75D (diopters). That can be a bit hard to find in many drug stores. +1.0D will work to start with. There are lots of places on-line that sell +0.75D glasses.

All that assumes that you don't already wear glasses. If you do, you can get clip-ons here: https://shootingsight.com/product/clip-on-flip-lens/
The correction needed is +0.5 to +0.75 (diopter) ON TOP OF YOUR DISTANCE SCRIPT.
You need to visit a optician for a eye check, find out what your distance scrip is and get lens to suit.
Also take a copy of the Eye Guide along with you for the Optician to read.
BULLSEYE SHOOTERS - EyeGuide.doc
(36 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

True, but +0,75 may be too much for many shooters. Especially for indoor shooting.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol