NRA - ???? Did someone drop the ball?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jhmartin

NRA - ???? Did someone drop the ball?

Post by jhmartin »

NRA is not holding an All American Banquet at NCAAs this year .... What's up w/ that?
In addition the only banquet to be held is the early one with no parents/guests allowed.

NRA is just going to mail the awards out.
Maybe need to find another sponsor for this if they are dropping the ball.
It had better not be finances .... they could grab a hundredK from ol' Wayne and he'd never know.
rgibson

Re: NRA - ???? Did someone drop the ball?

Post by rgibson »

“Wayne” has become a distraction and needs to go.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have been a Life Member since 1977 and now an Endowment Member. I am led to believe by some team members that the NRA provided no support to the Palma Team/U.S. Rifle Team when they went to New Zealand last year.
william

Post by william »

rgibson wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:25 pm Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have been a Life Member since 1977 and now an Endowment Member. I am led to believe by some team members that the NRA provided no support to the Palma Team/U.S. Rifle Team when they went to New Zealand last year.
Really? Why should the NRA back any competitive programs? They have corrupt politicians to rub shoulders with.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Rhetorical questions won’t fix what is wrong with the NRA. Cleaning house from the top down might help. During the overthrow in Cincinnati one faction wanted to continue with concentration on competition including moving headquarters to Colorado. The other faction wanted to focus more on 2A and HQ in DC area. Think how things would be now if we had moved to the People’s Republic of Colorado. Maybe we could check with NRA of U.K. or Australia or N.Z. to see which path protected their right to firearm rights. We are just as bad off being close to the seat of corruption in DC. NRA’s misfortune began an almost from founding when it was chartered in New York State so that Andrew Cuomo could dismantle us. Maybe I can persuade NRA to South Carolina then I will straighten it out.
Bob, The Answer Grape.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Please excuse the typo. Meant to write “protected their firearm rights.”
machinist mike

Post by machinist mike »

I am SOOO tired of requests for money from the NRA, both by mail and by E-mail. If it is by E-mail I just hit reply and type "Get my share from Lapierre!". If it is by U.S. Mail, I cross off anything pertaining to how much they want from me, then write "I can no longer support the NRA with monetary contributions as long as Lapierre is in control". Then I put it back into the pre-addressed postage paid envelope, and mail it back to them.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Really didn't mean for this to go off in an NRA rant direction (but easy to see how)
I've supported the NRA for years because of the All American program and their support for not only NCAA rifle, but the Intercollegiate competition programs (For those in college not shooting on NCAA teams)
My club is a 100% membership club and it is to me a small thing to be a member and a large thing to have the club to shoot and coach at.

In addition the NRA Foundation is the lifeblood of clubs like mine in a poor state. NRA Grants our clubs have received over the past years allow us to bring shooting programs to many who would never be able to afford the equipment and consumables (Guns, ammo, targets, scopes, mats, stands, etc).

The All American program is a special one to my heart as a few of my shooters have been awarded the honor and I know what being publicly recognized meant to them. A plaque in the mail seems to me to be too small of recognition. If they were short of $$$ go to the state Foundation fund committees and ask a little bit .... I would totally agree and argue for that. To drop the news a few weeks before NCAAs is pretty poor.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

Agreed. The NRA is on a path separate from mine and those that I know. The NRA used to be about firearm safety, training, and competition. Now, who knows? Buying suits and make-up for Wayne? I also hear that some gal in Florida has been buying homes, on the NRA members dime, for her family members.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... story.html

Make up your own mind, based on the facts that you uncover, for yourself.

Yes, I am a long time NRA Life member. No, I do not support the organization, as it exists today.

Best regards,
m1963
Last edited by m1963 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I do not receive solicitations from the NRA for money. I suspect they know I have little to spare.

I have been receiving mailings from Mr. Mike Bloomberg.

Within these documents he proudly states how he, personally, has nearly bankrupted the NRA.

I am aware the US Supreme Court ruled that one can donate/spend money as "Free Speech".

However, it is disturbing that one individual can use their billions to influence the elections in our USA.

With kind regards,

David
PCU

Post by PCU »

Back to original post. NRA states that All-Americans will be announced at NCAA Championship - but, according to J.H. Martin, there is apparently no banquet this year.
JMI

Post by JMI »

If you tell the NRA not to send you solicitations for money, they will not send them.

The Washington Post has an agenda. One on the list is the destruction of the 2nd Amendment. Destroy the NRA and the 2nd Amendment will follow. The NRA might have some management issues. One thing is certain. If not for the NRA and Wayne LaPierre, gun ownership in this country, a birthright, would be severely restricted. If you think airguns somehow would get a free pass, look at the airgun laws in England.

Gun Owners of America (GOA) is an option to the NRA.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I don’t think that giving NRA members an alternative is going to help. We need to fix the NRA. GOA isn’t involved in the kind of shooting we do. Maybe we should take a page from IBU. Every time I watch biathlon I see major European companies like BMW sponsoring. Hmmmmm
JMI

Post by JMI »

I suppose it depends on your goal(s). I dabble in NRA Highpower and CMP. I appreciate their involvement in the shooting sports. But you need the correct equipment.

While the GOA is not involved with competitive shooting they sure are there for the right to own firearms. And we all know nobody needs a rifle capable of .5 MOA, except a sniper.

I just think if you believe in the Bill of Rights, you should support organizations that defend them.
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

This is the official notification on the cancellation of this year's NCAA Banquet as sent by Tori Taylor, NRA National Manager of Schools and Colleges. It seems to be a one time cancellation.

"Due to temporary changes that were made for the calendar year 2020, the NRA Collegiate Program will not be able to host an All American Awards Banquet at the NCAA Championship. The NRA Collegiate Program will still provide all of the NRA All American awards and the NRA National Sectional awards. The awards will be mailed after the NCAA Rifle Championship to the coaches for presentation.

I wish the NCAA student athletes, and their coaches, a wonderful season and a fantastic championship at the University of Kentucky.

Once again, this is a temporary change for 2020. I look forward to hosting a fabulous banquet and seeing everyone in person once again in 2021. Thank you for your support of the NRA Collegiate Program, and thank you for helping me share this information with the NCAA.

Very respectfully,
Tori"
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Mr. Rocketto,
Always enjoyed your articles on marksmanship history etc. Thank you for that. Thank you for giving us this info. Any perspective on NRA support of U.S. Rifle Teams?
JMI,
All I cared about was my cold-bore shot.
Hap Rocketto

Post by Hap Rocketto »

First let me thank you for your kind comments on my scribblings.

I can only speak to the NRA's support of the two major international shoulder to shoulder smallbore prone matches, the Pershing shot in the USA and the Roberts which is fired in England. These matches are fired on an eight year alternating rotation so that one happens every four years.

It has been my honor and privilege to be the Adjutant of the 2009 and 2017 Roberts and the 2013 and 2021 Pershing Teams. As such I am responsible for the logistical and administrative planning and support. In the past the NRA has funded these teams, and I suspect they will fund the 2021 Pershing. I certainly hope so for if they do not I only have a short period of time to raise the funds needed to support the match.

The smallbore community does not have an organization like high power's Palma Productions for support, but I can see that it might become necessary in the future.

Best,

Hap
joe_osu

Post by joe_osu »

I hope you are correct. For refrence the 2019 palma team that attended the matches in New Zealand recieved no monetary support from the NRA. My understanding is that this support was not very much before that. I know there were many members of the team who were unable or unwilling to attend due to the lack of support from the NRA. Hopefully this was a one time issue and that they will again support overseas competition again.

Joe Bakies
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

The NRA has not supported the US palma team fully for MANY cycles, this is an amateur sport and I was on the 2019 squad. They paid some team entry fees,the rest was on us, we all expected/knew that going in.

I was also fortunate to be on the US Roberts team to England in '17. The NRA paid a large portion of our travel on that trip, it was a great event and experience. That event only happens every 8 years and is a much smaller team, easier for logistics.

The competition division is severely understaffed, I doubt that will change. Why doesn't the NCAA own "all american" honors? I shot club level in college, it seems it is an NCAA event?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

mgdietrich wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:04 pm Why doesn't the NCAA own "all american" honors? I shot club level in college, it seems it is an NCAA event?
I think that the "All American" honor is not strictly limited to NCAA competitors. And NRA has "owned" it forever......
NRA also runs the "NRA Intercollegiate" Rifle & Pistol Sectionals & Championships". (Intercollegiate are shooters not on NCAA teams but represent their schools (Rifle Clubs, ROTC programs & individuals))
---Think of the Intercollegiate Sectionals as the NCAA Qualifiers.
I used to run the Intercollegiate Sectional here in NM for the shooters and schools in the state. The ROTC programs dropped attendance (see below .... maybe why??) and we only had UNM, CNM, and NMTech shooters firing. They have all decided in the past few years to attend the Western Wildcats instead, so we've dropped having those sectionals.

I believe that the Intercollegiate (as opposed to the NCAA) athletes are also eligible for All American honors if they have enough matches and shoot high enough in the sectionals. I do not know the process ... Tori would.
We have not seen Intercollegiate athletes in the mix because they really do not shoot any/enough shoulder-to-shoulder matches as NCAA athletes do (I'd guess???).

I guess that the ROTC programs have a championship of sorts with goofy rules and guns. The smallbore comp is 5 shots each position - no slings - Rifles are AR-15 type with .22LR uppers. (Just found that out yesterday) in Boulder this year I think.
>>Anyone know about this match format??<<<