Greetings all,

does such an iris exist?

Kindest regards,

N
Piefou

Re: Rear Iris with opening less thn 0.5 mm

Post by Piefou »

Hi,

Current irises sold by Gehmann and Centra are 0.5-3.0 or 0.8-1.8.

At first i bought only 0.5-3.0 by thinking "hey free adjustement range, nice".

But if you have to be consistently under 0.8mm, there is a problem, and just getting a smaller iris will just be (relatively speaking) harmful to the eye. Same for getting over 1.5mm.

Adding a light grey filter to reduce light, bring closer the front sight to seeing it bigger, duplex for centering ...

Why are you looking for a such small iris ?
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
batty

Post by batty »

holy moley! why would you want an iris that small?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

batty wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 pm holy moley! why would you want an iris that small?
Hobbits? Mrs Pepperpot?
batty

Post by batty »

Tim S wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:08 pm
batty wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 pm holy moley! why would you want an iris that small?
Hobbits? Mrs Pepperpot?
Borrowers you mean!
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

nemo: everyone's eyes are different. don't let someone else tell you what you should be using. do your own experiments and trials and see what works best for you. this is not a "one size fits all" situation. wish you good shooting !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Nemo
I don't recall ever seeing one with the smallest opening under .5, however there may be an option to move the rear sight closer to your eye.

Regards
ken
WingsFan

Post by WingsFan »

I've turned mine down that small occasionally. Bright clear day with the afternoon sun shining on your target at 50feet.
nemo

Post by nemo »

Greetings all,

thank you for your answers confirming that 0.5 mm is the smallest opening.
WingsFan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:31 pm Bright clear day with the afternoon sun shining on your target at 50feet.
That is my daily condition, except target at 35 feet. Maybe a filter?

Kindest regards,

M
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

An aperture that is fixed is easy enough to make, especially if you start with an existing aperture - solder in a piece of thin shim stock, then put it on a lathe and drill it. Drills that small are easy to find.

I would not use a filter. If you have extra light, you may as well use a smaller aperture, so at least you get a benefit in focus for the light you are giving up.

With the exception of perhaps a pale yellow filter, to get rid of UV light, filters will reduce light without giving you an optical benefit.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
batty

Post by batty »

I wrote a guide on how to set up your rear sight placement and your iris. You can find it here https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/7741927 ... nager_grid
rlporter507

Post by rlporter507 »

two things are going on with the rear iris. depth of focus, and contrast. the iris setting adjusts the depth of focus, while affecting the contrast of front sight and target. a setting of below 1.1mm is to small for most people, but as another said, there are exceptions. setting the rear iris below 1.1 also reduces the amount of target area that is seen. on those occasions when the light is so bright i believe turning the iris down to far is not good. a balance of focal length to see the front sight, and a filter to reduce light for better contrast is a better option. another option if the use of filters is not desirable, is another iris in front of the rear sight, in the sun shade, to reduce light. all that said, a huge amount of time must be spent experimenting with iris size, and filter color to achieve the best combination for your eye.