CMP Sportsman class air rifles, Which one is best and why?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

whitefox545

CMP Sportsman class air rifles, Which one is best and why?

Post by whitefox545 »

Hi! all, Thinking about getting one but I'm used to top tier triggers and rifles and the ones I have tried have been terrible as far as the triggers . I know they can't be lighter than 1.5 lb but all of the ones I have tried have been in the 3-4 lb range and lots of creep! I have an old FWB 300s that I shoot 10 meters with but It's not legal for the class. I guess I'm probably spoiled by the airguns I have. Thank's in advance! J.L.
bberg7794

Re: CMP Sportsman class air rifles, Which one is best and why?

Post by bberg7794 »

Hi J.L.

I think you mean "Sporter" class? I have a bit of experience with two of the approved Sporter air rifles. I have owned a Daisy 887 since November, 2015. It has been on permanent loan to different club members since then. The trigger was pretty heavy and creepy until I performed the trigger modification that can be found online. As a result, that Daisy has a 1.5 pound trigger that is crisp with no creep. It is not the greatest 1.5 pound trigger out there, but it is pretty good. The modification is not difficult and is truly worthwhile. Our club is gradually growing and I have a feeling I will be doing a couple more trigger modifications soon since we now have another 887 and several 888's that I can convert to 887's.

One of our club members recently purchased a Crosman Challenger 2009 and I have put around 200 pellets through it. It has a two-stage trigger that is pretty nice too. I am not sure if there are any trigger improvements for the Challenger, but it is a nice trigger as-is.

Regarding which one is best, that is more difficult. The Daisy is CO2 only where the Crosman will run on air or CO2. If you already have an air tank or pump for other air rifles, then the Crosman using air would be an easy addition. The Crosman is easier to load a pellet into and is more ambidextrous. I also like the shape of the stock better, especially for standing. The Daisy has a very small loading port-I have yet to find a way to load it comfortably when shooting prone. That said, if you can deal with CO2, the Daisy is not a bad option, especially once the trigger mod is done. The Daisy is robustly built and is quite a bit less expensive than the Crosman. For folks who shoot CMP high power with an M-1 or bolt gun, I think the stock shape of the Daisy is a good match for that person.

Hope that helps,

BB
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Thanks for the reply's, Yes I meant "Sporter" class Sorry BB ! I have in my possession an Air Force Edge and have access to all three of the Daisy Sporter legal rifles including the new 599 version that was released a couple years ago, The trigger on the Air Force is creep free but very heavy (around 3 lb) but I see there is a "super Sear' available from AOA that is so posed to lighten it quite a bit, has anyone tried one out? Also I have owned several Air Arms rifles and they have all had very good triggers and have been VERY reliable and accurate shooters. Dose anyone know how the T-200 by Air Arms compares to the ones from Champions Choice or the BSA version or are they all the same guns in different stocks? Thank's in advance guys! J.L.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I recently had a chance to try out a few of the Crosman Challengers. They seemed to be quite accurate (although I did not quantify that in any way), and I thought the triggers were quite good. On the flip side, I did not like the fixed air chamber (as opposed to removable), and I didn't like the bolt. The bolt did not feel robust or secure. I even had it pop open on one shot.

But I have not used the other mentioned rifles for comparison.

marky-d
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Crosman Challenger 2009.

In the last five years, I've been to local, state, and national sporter competitions and I've never seen anyone get a medal with anything other than a Challenger.
I've seen a few kids make it to the 8-man finals with the T-200, but that's as far as they get.
This year was the first time I've ever seen an AirForce rifle used in competition, and that was just one.
Our kid's ROTC armory has 10 of them and they literally have never once moved in five years.
(I once read that they can barely hold the 9-ring even if you locked 'em in a vise.)

The Challenger is a slightly veiled precision rifle.
My kids have done both sporter and precision.
They have both shot in the 560's with the Challenger in the sporter class, yet they only add about 15-20 points when outfitted with an extra $3,000 worth of shooting gear and gun with a hair-trigger.

Now with sights approaching precision grade...
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... em=CH2009S

I have yet to see a 599 in action.
The full floated barrel is nice, but could always be a downside with kids.
Being able to go a whole match without topping off air would be nice, but not overly thrilled about cylinder removal.
Other than that, there seems to be not a lot of advantage to the 599...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Gspell68, Thank's very much for the reply!! I'm old (66) and currently shoot a very nice FWB 300s It shoots Way better than I can but have been yearning for a PCP for winter time 10 meter shooting as I have several PCPs that I shoot Field target and Bench rest with, I'm quite a trigger snob and don't really know if ANY of the legal guns will have a trigger to suit me even with some modifications. I borrowed a Air Force from a friend and your right Not much of a gun!! Thank's again for the info!! I will try a Challenger next time I get to Camp Perry for a practice night!! J.L.
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Hey WhiteFox,
You probably won't be impressed with he trigger, then.
The lowest you can dial it down to is about 1½ pounds, compared to a FWB300 which is probably 5 - 8 ounces.
I think they do that from the factory so that it stays legal for sporter competition regardless of the adjustment.
But I think it does have additional adjustments for stage 1 & 2 travel and position.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

I have a student that I coach that moved from Sporter to Precision. They have a Crosman Challenger they said they were going to let go of. I would be happy to pass your information along if that is the rifle that would meet your needs.

Feel free to send me an email: lake at lake yoke dot com

Thank you!

Lake
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

Lake, Thanks so much for the offer! I think I'm just going to keep my 300s or maybe pick up a newer PCP 10 meter precision rifle. The reason I had thought about a sporter class rifle is all of the old guys I shoot with have that type of rifle but I just feel like I'm taking a step back with these rifles and I may just keep an eye open for a good used later model precision rifle. Thank's again for the reply!! J.L.
lakiraly

Post by lakiraly »

@Whitefox545,
Based upon your comments made I can definitely say that you don't want a Spotter class air rifle. The triggers are not precision, as to what you are used to. Although a trigger job can be performed on them, the sporter will not shoot as accurately as you want it to.
If you want to purchase new, I'd suggest you take a look at the precision air rifles that Champions Choice out of Tennessee sell. Most likely the best pricing you will find when compared to other stores.http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx
gspell68

Post by gspell68 »

Or you may wanna look at these.
They should give you a VAT discount of about 20%, too.
I've heard from several folks on here that Krale was very nice to deal with...

https://www.krale.shop/en/sport-shootin ... s-for-10m/

https://buinger.com/Air-Rifles_4__45-mm_1
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
Augusta, Georgia
whitefox545

Post by whitefox545 »

gspell68, Thanks for the referral Scott ! I look at them most every day and DROOL! I'm old (66) and don't think I'm worth needing a rifle of that caliber for a winter extra hobby! I shoot Field Target and bench rest with air rifles and this is just something to keep up and try to improve my off hand shooting through the winter in my basement and one day a week at the local gun club. It is a LOT of fun and a real challenge though!! Ive pretty much made my mind up that my FWB 300s is good enough for me!! Thanks again every one for the help!! J.L.