22 LR ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

40xguy

22 LR ammo

Post by 40xguy »

Does anyone have any experience with this Eley ammo thru CMP.
Here's the web page. https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/4C22ELYSTD-5000
Thanks.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
mhampel

Re: 22 LR ammo

Post by mhampel »

My inclination is to state "don't waste your money, this stuff is crap". Just so it won't sell out before I buy my next case.

40xguy, you should already know my response, since I have offered to let you test this ammo from my stash.

When I first heard about how good this ammo really is, a friend was using it for practice in the winter, and he thought it shot really well in cold weather. I can confirm. Two weekends ago, I shot my best league score, and the one point I dropped on the last 100 yard bull was not the ammo! (799, 60x in our 80 shot league, Dewar, 100 yard matches). Another friend tested this Eley against five or six other brands and the CMP was second best (I think behind 10x), beating much more costly offerings. For me it groups fine in warm weather as well.

One downside - since it is bulk backed, the lube is smeared all over the case. Makes for a sticky chamber after a while.

Who knows if the next lot I buy will be as good, or if it will work in other rifles. But I'm up for another case. Don't buy it all before I get mine.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

That's interesting. Being in the UK I haven't seen (nor have access to) that stuff.

In the bulk box it looks very like Eley Action, which is oriented at mini-rifle/Practical Competition. Action has paraffin lube and a velocity of 1060-1100fps. The CMP states 1090, which is higher than Eley's traditional Club/Match/Tenex offering (1030-1085) but right in the bracket for Action. They also state the CMP ammo is designed to "allow proper functioning through multiple .22LR firearm platforms" which again implies some thought to semi-autos as well as bolt rifles.

The only major difference seems to be it has a 40gr bullet rather than the 42gr that Action bears.

For information, the casings for Action are made with a slightly thicker rim to ensure they fire reliably with semi-autos - a lot of semi-auto actions don't close fully, or at least have a much larger headspace than bolt rifles, which can leave some rifles getting a lot of light strikes or misfires when using lines like Sport or Club.

If it's rebadged Action, then it's a match-oriented ammo, just not oriented at ISSF Matches. Should hold up perfectly well for integer-scored shoots and may perform better than other brands in older/worn rifles or indeed sporter rifles like CZs with slightly larger chamber tolerances.

I'd be interested mhampel whether it feels particularly tight when closing the bolt, or no more so than Match/Tenex?
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

The stuff I have seen come through our club is very inconsistent. You can literally hear the difference in the different rounds.
mhampel

Post by mhampel »

No noticeable difference in closing the bolt. It also runs in my AR-22 upper.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

I purchased two cases not very long after it was introduced.
It can clean a 50 yard and 100 yard conventional NRA target with a low x count. 2 MOA 10 rings.
It can also clean at USA50 target at 50 feet indoors.

I weighed 500 rounds of this on and RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale for statistical purposes and sorted all of the ammo by weight groups.
For the most part each bullet weight was between + or - .4 grains from the mean average.

There were some severe outliers that were over 10 grains over the mean and 7 grains under.
The heavy rounds were dissected to determine why. The 40 grain bullet was the culprit and some cases were heavier.
The powder weight was 1 grain on every round I dissected.
With these sorted rounds the consistency at 50 and 100 yards was much improved over my first tests. I also tipped 20 of the bullets with a die that creates an EPS shape on the bullet tip. I didn't see a remarkable change.
Will I shoot this ammunition in a match? No. Would I let my juniors shoot it to learn with and accurately call shot hits? Yes Would I shoot it in an indoor league? Yes
Your mileage may very. I was shooting it in a 1813 Anschutz with a Lilja barrel.
itc41

Post by itc41 »

This would be good for something like CMP, Apple seed, 4H, and beginner precision rifle.
I used these when I changed from Military rifle to small bore.
I find Geco is in the same price range, with a some what better consistency.
ITC41
lakiraly

Post by lakiraly »

The Eley ammo thru CMP is a very good price for ammo that is pretty accurate, there will be an occasional flyer.
Good for practice however I would not use it in a match.
mhampel

Re: 22 LR ammo - Update

Post by mhampel »

I went ahead and got a case a month ago.
I have used probably 400 rounds.
Sadly, I do not think this lot is as good as the original lot I reported on earlier.
Definitely more soft rounds. I am not good enough to tell if I broke a low X vs. a low 10, but I do know that I did not break a 6, 7 or 8. And yes, they are in there. Plus some rounds are harder to chamber, and one did not go off until the second strike.
Still using this to practice.