SCATT Calibration?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

StuckinNY

SCATT Calibration?

Post by StuckinNY »

Scatt Basic arrives on Saturday. Looking forward to it. As I was reading the manual, the method of calibration was a bit unclear. Specifically this:

To perform the optical sensor calibration, aim and take one shot at the paper target. The aiming point should be displayed inside the working area*.
The SCATT software will interpret your shot-hole as center of the target.

I am guessing that the calibration shot should be pretty much on X if follow up shots will be scored by the system? If so, should the first shot be done from a rested position? Any insight to how this works or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Modena

Re: SCATT Calibration?

Post by Modena »

Yes shoot your calibration shot from a rest, so long as it lands on target (somewhere) then calibration is good. After that, then shoot a couple of sighters also from the rest while in sighters mode, and while in sighters mode you can drag the shot towards the middle of the target (or wherever it lands). If you're live shooting, drag it to wherever the electronic target scored the hit - if you're dry firing then make sure your "shot" from the rest was a (virtual) "ten" and drag the sighting shot to the ten ring. You might find that, say you "know" from the rest is was a dead-nuts ten but the scatt score an 8.0, drag it to maybe 10.0 and try again - it's easy to compensate "too far" in dragging the sighters.

"drag" means click (and hold the mouse click) on the sighting shot, drag it to position, and let go the mouse button.

Once you've finished dragging from the rest and you're comfortable the scatt is reporting what you see, then start dry firing for real in sighters, then start the match.

You can only drag shots like this while in sighters.
Do not shoot scatt "for score", because while the scatt is extremely accurate (consistent), the line up between where scatt records the shot and where it would have gone is never "spot on", and of course in dry fire there is no recoil and there is also no follow-through consideration.

Hope this helps, it was not apparent to me either that you could only drag shots in sighting mode. Once I figured that out it all made sense.
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Perfect---Clears it up. Thanks so much for the response.
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

If you have the time and inspiration, please post your experiences with setup and initial use of your system.
Modena

Post by Modena »

the following document is worth your time to read, thanks to a great and experienced coach here in Australia, Tricia Van Nus;

http://www.coachexcellence.net/wp-conte ... -SCATT.pdf
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

This video by Scatt is really helpful: https://youtu.be/hAkwJp0j3QA

More SCATT set up videos for different models here: https://www.scatt.com/videos
Ramon
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

Modena wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:40 am the following document is worth your time to read, thanks to a great and experienced coach here in Australia, Tricia Van Nus;

http://www.coachexcellence.net/wp-conte ... -SCATT.pdf
Thank You for posting that link and Tricia for creating that excellent tutorial.
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Thanks to all the replies. Checking out all the links above before I even opened the SCATT Basic box really helped me understand everything and shortened the learning curve a bit. First off I am so glad there were no issues running this on my MacBook. Both install and use on the Mac was fine. After printing out the scaled target and messing with a series of lights in the basement, I hooked up a Harbor Freight work lamp directly facing the target and was in business. My first attempt at mounting the Scatt was on my younger daughters Crosman Challenger and it was just plain awkward. Off it went and on to my older daughters Walther LG400 Competition and I was able to adjust it in and a minute or two. So far we have only shot 60 something shots but definitely see the potential with it. My only issue is that my daughter who earlier in the day shot a 585 standing had all her shots being scored as 5s or below. Granted I know this isn't an electronic scorer and she wasn't 100% focused but that did seem off by a lot. I plan to double check my measurements/ scale of the target and shoot supported to see if the scoring changes. Overall having fun with it and see its potential.
StuckinNY

Post by StuckinNY »

Just busted out the tape measure and I was off by a foot which explained the bad scoring. I initially went by counting floor tiles but now everything seems pretty legit.

My advice--read as much as possible beforehand and be ready to troubleshoot a little and everything works out.

Thanks to all for the help.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Calibration & sighting shots are the perfect opportunity to force you to work on shot call. Shoot them from position!