New AP shooter needs advice

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Lablover

New AP shooter needs advice

Post by Lablover »

Super newbie for AP. My main goal is Nra Precision Pistol/Bullsye. I’d like to train in the basement when I have free time as I have no indoor range real close.

I’ve had several people suggest the Styer Lp50 and others say stay away from it. I’ve also been looking at the Walther LP500 competition. I’d like something that would be legal to shoot in a AP match and not sure the Lp50 is allowed? I have about a 1500 budget as I already have a scuba tank etc.

The benefits of the Lp50 are practice for timed and rapid fire. That’s it. I’m sure it shoots single shot better than I’ll ever achieve. I have the line on a few priced at 1300 ish and not sure that’s the normal going rate.

Compact or not? Benefits of a compact as opposed to longer?

Or, a pardini on here for 1450, a new Walther LP500 at 1500 or the LP 50. I also have access to a Izzy 46M for a very nice price of 400.00

Help me choose please. The biggest concern is whatever I get be legal to shoot in. AP matches

Would love to hear any thoughts
Thanks in advance
KH250

Re: New AP shooter needs advice

Post by KH250 »

Hi

I own a LP50hp it is legal for ISSF air pistol, the single shot magazine is used in the event.
Mine is the long version, the shorter sight radius on the short one is not an issue. Less shots per tank maybe. Compact would be better for events requiring movement.
My best score for the year at a sanctioned match, 569 was with my LP50 not my LP10E. Trigger not as good on the LP50 for slow fire, some creep on the second stage, but for timed events a non issue.
Chicken-Farmer

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

The LP50 is a mechanical marvel! I own an LP50 compact. I shoot mine mostly at falling plates and sihouette. Each cylinder gives me 80 full power shots. The LP50 is made to eat pellets and can sling some serious amounts of lead down range. I am retired so I shoot for a couple hours each morning, I drain a tin of pellets every other day. I am only limited by the magazine capacity.
For 10M precision air pistol I would suggest a LP10 or Evo. The trigger on the LP50, while nice, simply is not as nice as a dedicated 10M air pistol.
I started out with a Steyr LP10 years ago. The air pistol was awesome, but my first love is plinking. Silhouette and falling plates scratch that itch for me. The LP10 was too slow of a pace for me. The LP50 fits my needs much better.
6string

Post by 6string »

Is your priority training for bullseye or AP competition?
-The LP50 is excellent as a bullseye trainer. Shoot as is, add a 1911 training grip, and/or add a red dot sight. These are options for the LP50. The older LP5 had some bugs. LP50 is much better. Trigger is very good.
-For AP matches, are you the serious type driven to win? If so, of your listed APs, the Pardini K12 would be my choice. Excellent trigger! If you shoot a Pardini 22 for BE you might notice grip similarities. But, LP50 is still good.
The Russian crank lever AP is not my cup of tea. The trigger seems creepy to me, sights are crude, balance is odd. Cranking the arm is tiring. If someone wanted a SSP, then look for old Pardini k58 or FWB 100. But, you got scuba, so non-issue.

You got some good choices! Glad to see you want to do it right.

Enjoy!
Jim
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

Went with the lp50 compact to mimic the type of guns I shoot now for bullseye. She should be here tomorrow!

Now I’m on the prowl for a weaver type rail to mount a tube style red dot. It comes with tha single point mount but not sure how that will work with a tube dot

Thanks for all the help
Chicken-Farmer

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

When you LP-50 arrives the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to leave things be! Trust me I know! As long as the airgun shoots and advances the magazine reliably you are golden. It is very easy to adjust the trigger out and the reliability goes down the tubes. I screwed mine up so badly that I had to send it off to Pilkguns to have them fix it for me. A slightly pricey lesson learned on my part
Congrats on your new LP50. Buy yourself a couple sleeves of pellets. Those LP50's can eat a tin of pellets in no time at all
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Be gentle with the LP50 and never force the pellet carrier, or it may break something inside the pistol.

If you shoot an extra shot after the 5, you have to cock it before you can extract the carrier.

If you feel something stopping it from entering it will probably be a pellet that sticks out. Remove it and ad a fresh one.

Be very careful with its insertion so that it always goes in the right way.

If it stops shooting all together don't panic, you just have to load more air. It goes through the air tanks really quick.

Enjoy! It is fun to shoot all the rapid fire disciplines with this gun.
Ramon
Lablover

Post by Lablover »

Thanks for the advice. I won’t be adjusting anything until I know all is well. Trigger weight I won’t fool with but the angle of trigger etc I might.

I have a few thousand left over Vogel pellets bought from the Cmp from my rifle days. And some R10 on the way as well as a few others. Can’t wait to feed the dragon! Hahaha

I’m also going to work on designing a scope base for a tube type dot. 3d printers are a marvelous thing and not like it has a ton of recoil to worry about.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

The pellets i chose to shoot in my LP50 were those that pressed snugly into the magazine without falling out. H&N FMP 5.49 irrc.

Steyr does sell a weaver mount that slides onto the shroud and doesn't block use of the iron sights. https://photos.app.goo.gl/XXcoKY4wbk2aQw6d7
There are other mounts that replace the rear sight assembly.

On 3D printed accessories I designed this very quiet shroud assembly which has an integrated weaver mount: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zis2eEsUnHPS6wv26
Really nice for backyard silhouettes!