Shooting Discipline Information for New Shooters

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lyoke2

Shooting Discipline Information for New Shooters

Post by lyoke2 »

All,

I had someone new to competitive shooting reach out to me and they were interested in the different disciplines of the sport and what would suit them best (a pretty general question). I was curious if there was a resource that had a small write up on each discipline to give people an understanding of each discipline of the shooting sports and what it entails. If not I may start working on this.

Thank you!
Ramon OP

Re: Shooting Discipline Information for New Shooters

Post by Ramon OP »

The only way is to try and see what you like. You can always change disciplines and practice as many as you like amd have time for.
renzo

Post by renzo »

I think the OP is asking for a brief (written) explanation of the different courses of fire, number of shots, positions, hardware, time allotted, etc.

AFAIK, there is no such tutorial. The closest I can think of is reading the lenghty rules, be them those of the ISSF or the NRA, to choose what seeems more likely to suit you, it could be ultraprecision vs. rapid fire, smallbore vs. bigbore, static shooting vs. dinamic (v.g., IPSC, PPC et al).

By the way, those different modes are called courses or specialities, discipline being the whole variety of "shooting".
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

Ramon,

This is the advice I provided to the shooter. They don't know until they try it!

Renzo,

I agree the rule books are best place for the information at the moment a summarized view would be helpful to new shooters and those interested in competition. I know there are many competitions in the US that have very few equipment requirements that attract newer competitors to the shooting sports.

I see your difference in terminology, I personally and my peers, call the different shooting type such as Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun the shooting disciplines. Sometimes this term carries over to the next level where we refer the a specific discipline such as Three Position Smallbore Rifle. We also refer to courses as the course of fire, so the course for Three Position Smallbore would be a 3x40.

Always interesting to hear different views on the sport!
Mike38

Post by Mike38 »

This is actually a very good idea, and someone that has the time really should do this. I had a coworker ask me about getting into Precision Pistol (Bullseye) because I bring up the topic on occasion. He had no idea that he could buy something like a used Ruger MkII for ~$300 and be set just fine as an entry level competitor. He could even shoot a full match, 270 shots, entered as ".22 Only". Then as funds permit, and he's sure he'd like the sport, he could take the plunge by buying a .45. Then upgrading to a true target .22 pistol. He thought that he would have to spend $4000 just to try the sport.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Several coaches have uploaded information to a google drive maintained by a member here for the purpose of sharing this information:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 29XNEV5Tm8

Check it out.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

Awesome!

I requested access.