Lucked into a Russian MTs-12

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ultramag44

Lucked into a Russian MTs-12

Post by ultramag44 »

I have been looking for one of these for awhile.

Does anyone have one of these? Impressions, thoughts, etc..

Now to get out to the range and see how it shoots! :)

I made a scope base / mount too!

KatoomDownUnder

Vostok

Post by KatoomDownUnder »

They can't be too bad if you have a gander at this.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Vostok_Target_Rifle.htm

Cheers
Pete
Jason

Post by Jason »

Wow -- that is some classic Soviet iron. Slap a scope on it and show us how it shoots already!

Jason
BigBen

Re: Lucked into a Russian MTs-12

Post by BigBen »

I own an earl none import Mts12 and the only mts13 in America. They are lasers very accurate but good luck finding one they were discovered here late so they only imported 25 before they were banned. We are talking about a gun that is rare even in Russian... My family in Russian so I know enough to read around the Russian forums and from what I hear these things are very very limited production..... They produced many more mts12 than mts13, as for the mts13, they made 4 different models of mts13. The mts13, 13-1, 13-2, 13-3, between the 4 iterations only 497 units were ever made, very very rare. As in there is no knowing how many of each model but that between all four there is only 497 ever..... Not to mention that the last mts12 to sell went for over 4000$ the pric
downloadfile.jpeg
downloadfile-18.jpeg
downloadfile-18.jpeg
e is on the rise and there is very few of these guns. One last thing.... These rifles were designed by Mikhail Margolin a blind gun smith in Tula. The mts13s left in russia , a lot were slaughted as in modified for service use by snipers before development of rifles like the mts116m sniper rifle that is based on the mts13. My point is these rifles are very very very hard to find especially unmodified, I was lucky and knew a Russian Olympic shooter that imported the only mts13 in America and he passed it to me on his death. My family is from Tula Oblast so these rifles are like a source of pride for me! Good luck! I hate to say if I see another I would probably buy it myself!
downloadfile-1.jpeg
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ben,

I think the Mrs 12 had a later life. The 1980s MTs 112-1 used the same bolt and basic receiver (with a simpler Anschutz-style sight dovetail) with a two stage trigger in an Anschutz-style stock. There was a UIT Standard version the MTs 113, and the MTs 115 Free Rifle for 300m.
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

DSCF1350.JPG
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

how much did you pay?
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

I'm am aware of the MTS 12 in other forums like the toz61 and mts112 but the mechanism changed a bit and also they are almost completely impossible to find here.... I understand that there were other forms of the mts12 but in essence it is more of a Margolin rifle thing and not another mts12..... As in only an mts12 is an mts12 but they are Margolin rifles. Also I like the old articles but an MTS is not a Vostok, that is the only problem I have with that old article roping the Tula guns in with an Izhmash branding.
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

I mean I know Vostok means East but it was mainly a Izhmash thing.
Modena

Post by Modena »

BigBen wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:20 pm how much did you pay?
If you read the post, the OP inherited it.
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

I read the whole post and it says nothing about inheritance.....
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

That is really cool by the way! especially if you inherited it.... you Russian? or does your family just have great taste?
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

haha
Modena

Post by Modena »

BigBen wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:46 am I read the whole post and it says nothing about inheritance.....
I was lucky and knew a Russian Olympic shooter that imported the only mts13 in America and he passed it to me on his death. My family is from Tula Oblast so these rifles are like a source of pride for me! Good luck!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Modena,

You are quoting Big Ben about his own rifle, not the Original Poster of this thread, Ultramag44.

Given the OP hasn't posted since 2013, I think it's unlikely that he is still following this thread.
Modena

Post by Modena »

Tim S wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:38 am Modena,

You are quoting Big Ben about his own rifle, not the Original Poster of this thread, Ultramag44.

Given the OP hasn't posted since 2013, I think it's unlikely that he is still following this thread.
haha yes I was referring to the new post six years after the last post...
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

Yeah I'm an idiot for not realizing what happened too....
BigBen

Post by BigBen »

haha after coming back to this and reading it again. it is very funny! gosh its like another "who's on first"