Eye dominance, Does it matter?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

DavZee

Eye dominance, Does it matter?

Post by DavZee »

I’m a rifle shooter who is left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot 3P and 100 yards prone competition. I use a blinder for my right eye attached to the rear sight. Does eye dominance actually play any role in a situation like this because the dominant eye is blocked? I personally have not had any issues shooting rifle like this. Would it be more important for pistol shooting? I’m very comfortable shooting left handed and thought maybe some information from someone more knowledgeable would help others decide which way would be best for them as well. It’s certainly easier to get a right hand rifle and there’s issues shooting left on a line with right handers.
Tim S

Re: Eye dominance, Does it matter?

Post by Tim S »

It didn't bother Sergei Martynov, three Olympic medals, twice World champion, and eight equal World record 600 scores.

IME cross dominant shooters prefer a dark blinder rather than the usual translucent material. Yes, there might be some eye fatigue but that's better than the dominant eye interfering with your aim.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I agree with what Tim said. I have spoken with quite a few pretty good shooters who's dominant eye was opposite how they shoot and it did not seem to affect them.
ctaney

Post by ctaney »

I am in the same situation as DavZee, and I for me the dominant eye issue does not matter unless the target is moving: e.g., shooting trap, skeet or hunting. Cross-eye dominance is not an issue for me if I am shooting a stationary target.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

for what it's worth: I've shot smallbore with both eyes. it doesn't seem to matter which eye is used. imo: the important thing is to have good glasses and a good sight picture. after 10 years of shooting with right eye, it took about 20 shots to adapt to using the left eye. hope this helps...
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Dustin Clays

Post by Dustin Clays »

Why not use your dominant eye? After all it is the dominant one....

My brother is RH, but cross dominant, as it his wife. My wife is also RH and cross dominant, and so it my youngest daughter. So-- I believe in using the your dominant eye.

Switching my wife over was the most fun- he initial reaction was: "I can't do this!" I answered with, "You've never shot before, you don't know any better. Teach you body to use it the way it was made". She has adapted very well and consistently breaks over 20 clays in competition and does even better with pistol.

My youngest daughter was convinced she could do when she I told her that her support arm (RH) was stronger and will better support the rifle than her left arm. She's picked it up well and is competition regularly in both air rifle and smallbore at the USA, NRA and CMP matches. She has never complained since learning.

Gear...seek and you shall find. Left hand stuff is out there.

Good luck-
DavZee

Post by DavZee »

I must say, “Dustin Clays” is a most excellent online name for a shotguner.
MGoodman

Post by MGoodman »

My son was on the US rifle team, was cross eye dominate,
Many coaches tried to make him a lefty, but I would not allow it.
He was one of the best prone shooters in the US.
Made All AMERICAN 3 times in college.
Just use a blinder, you will be alright.