What is exceptable in a new Morini 162El ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sal6781

What is exceptable in a new Morini 162El ?

Post by sal6781 »

I recently purchased a Morini 162E pistol from Champion's Choice. I sent it back saying that the cylinders leaked air. Chuck Pearson told me he checked them and they didn't leak. He sent it back. I filled the cylinders and screwed one on the gun. In about two hours 20 bar leaked off. Is this normal for Morini air pistols ? I have a Steyr Evo 10 and it holds tight for a week or more. I was told by one of the clerks that they would switch it out but he would not do it. Thanks for any help in this matter.
Gwhite

Re: What is exceptable in a new Morini 162El ?

Post by Gwhite »

Step 1 is to see if they leak just sitting around, or only when they are on the pistol. If that is the case for both cylinders, the problem is either internal to the pistol, or the interface between the the pistol and the cylinders is leaking.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you filled the cylinders and screwed them on right away, they would probably drop 20BAR just from cooling.
spektr

Post by spektr »

There's probably nothing at all wrong. When you fill the tank, it gets warm as the air compresses and you are looking at the gage and see a number on a hot tank. Boyles law says that as it cools back to room temp, the pressure will go down because for any fixed volume of gas, pressure is directly proportional to temperature. I would want to know the difference between the readings overnigbt..... I bet it doesn't wiggle
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Rover wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:17 pm If you filled the cylinders and screwed them on right away, they would probably drop 20BAR just from cooling.
+1 for Rover's comment. My tanks are dated "3.10" and nearing the end of their service life but still do not leak. I fill them from a carbon fiber tank and do so very slowly. Nevertheless, the do heat up, so I fill to 200 BAR, then let them sit for a while to cool, during which time the manometer decreases a bit as the tank cools. When it reaches room temp, I top off the tank to 200 BAR. I've never seen the reading decrease after complete cooling. FWIW.

Dennis
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

Thanks everyone.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Another guy who should have bought a SSP.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

well...SSPs, especially with age, are not without problems: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=59997#p290613
Rover wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:46 pm Another guy who should have bought a SSP.
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
David M

Post by David M »

sal6781 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm I recently purchased a Morini 162E pistol from Champion's Choice. I sent it back saying that the cylinders leaked air. Chuck Pearson told me he checked them and they didn't leak. He sent it back. I filled the cylinders and screwed one on the gun. In about two hours 20 bar leaked off. Is this normal for Morini air pistols ? I have a Steyr Evo 10 and it holds tight for a week or more. I was told by one of the clerks that they would switch it out but he would not do it. Thanks for any help in this matter.
Did you determine if the leak was the tank or the pistol ?
Do the tanks leak off the pistol ?
Yes...Do the tanks continue to loose pressure till empty ? (Tank O rings or Gauge shaft seal)...needs service/repair.
or
No... They only leak when screwed on the Pistol. (Pistol leak)
Is it a fast leak or slow ? (fast-high pressure side, slow- low pressure side)...needs service/repair.

I recently repaired a new Morini CM200 ei with a slow leak O ring on "#200052 ....... Valve closing screw", the O ring was loose fitting and I
had to increase the ring Dia from 1.5mm to 2mm. Fixed (part 162052A 5.5mmx1.5mm on a CM162)
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

It leaked 50 bar in two days on the gun. Champion's Choice (Chuck Pearson) is not answering my emails.
william

Post by william »

sal6781 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:04 am It leaked 50 bar in two days on the gun. Champion's Choice (Chuck Pearson) is not answering my emails.
This is 4th of July week. Did you take that into consideration before publicly trashing a well respected business?

They are busy getting ready for Camp Perry. Did you take that into consideration before going out to shame them?

It sure looks like Champion's Choice has made reasonable efforts to resolve your complaint which, by the way, you apparently failed to describe correctly. I'm guessing they will continue to try to help - despite your whingeing.

>> On the subject of filling cylinders, Don Nygord advised to slowly crack open the tank valve (no reason to shock a cylinder from 50 to 200 bar in a fraction of a second). Then open it wider and leave everything in place until temperatures & pressures equalize, maybe 5 minutes. Then close the valve & unscrew the cylinder. Some may want to unscrew the cylinder before closing the valve. Why not? Darwin wasn't talking about you.
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

I didn't know they still had "party" lines and you were privy to my phone conversation regarding this issue.
william

Post by william »

Couldn't resist, could you? I guess you changed your mind after you sent the PM that started, "I won't respond publicly...."
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It's well over a year since I last shot my 162EI.

Out of interest I just opened my gun case and checked the cylinders.

Both the one screwed fully on to the gun and the spare were still at the pressure remaining in my scuba tank (fractionally under 200 bar)
sal6781

Post by sal6781 »

Okay. Thanks for all your help (that includes you too William haha). There were two issues here. That is what confused me. I was shooting an Evo 10 short, and I assume the short cylinders are not affected as much temperatures wise. So that explains the Morini cylinders(more volume) showing a preassure drop off the gun after filling. I took one persons advice and added a very slight coat of silicone grease where I thought the gun engaged the cylinder. Problem solved ! It’s not leaking on the gun now.
It’s upsetting to get a new gun with a problem when the price for shipping and insurance is 56 dollars. Anyway if I offended anyone, I apologize.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Great news about the issue being solved!
Leon

Post by Leon »

I think that Morini quality is going downhill.... they just don't seem to be that well made anymore.

David M' post about having to fix a new CM200 is evidence of that...
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

I recently purchased a new 162 and a K12. I feel the quality is higher on the Morini.
BEA

Post by BEA »

I did not read this entire thread, but I remove the cylinder from the gun when not in use. I do not know if that makes any difference but I like to take the pressure off the regulator and seals when not in use.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There was another thread on that specific topic:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... 4&p=282323

I was just reading the Hammerli AP20 manual, and it says:

Disassembly of the compressed air tank is unnecessary with frequent use of the pistol.

Unscrew the compressed air tank to preserve the seals in case of longer periods of non-use.