Expired/Defective Cylinder Disposal (US)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
w4ti

Expired/Defective Cylinder Disposal (US)

Post by w4ti »

Hello,

Was wondering what folks do with their expired and/or defective air cylinders? I think I can take my two to the scrapper and get a few cents, but maybe there is something else I should do with them- maybe keep one for dry fire weight?

What are you doing with your expired or defective cylinders?

Thanks!
Chase
Gwhite

Re: Expired/Defective Cylinder Disposal (US)

Post by Gwhite »

I know one shop that insisted on cutting them in half if they were deemed unserviceable. They said they didn't wan't somebody loading them with powder to make bombs...
w4ti

Post by w4ti »

My word, that's taking things to extremes! I was honestly hoping someone was taking the manometers and pinning them to their shooting box or something.

Thread went dark, quick! ;)
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Let JAWS chew 'em up!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Put them up for sale here on TT. Someone WILL buy them.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

. . . this thread heading towards . . .

A DARWIN AWARD

. . . wait for it . . .

. . . wait for it . . . .
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have a few years to go yet, so I'm not sure. Probably strip them and recycle the can.....
As I have previously said, You CAN refill them yourself with a home compressor or pump
since the DOT regs only apply to PV's in commerce. So its up to you
divingin

Post by divingin »

spektr wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 am As I have previously said, You CAN refill them yourself with a home compressor or pump
since the DOT regs only apply to PV's in commerce.
The expiration of air gun cylinders is not a DOT thing, is it?

In scuba, I heard (have not bothered to verify) that DOT regs apply to testing and certification, but only to the extent that the cylinders are transported on a road or highway. The rest is the self-policing of the scuba industry. Condemned aluminum scuba cylinders (those that fail either hydrostatic testing or visual inspection for cracks) can be readily recycled - 8 years ago they were worth about $18-25 in scrap value. Steel cylinders can also be recycled but are worth nowhere near that.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I put an updated stamp on mine:-)
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

I am socking away 25 dollars a year per cylinder to save for a replacement when mine expires.. Not to hard since I quit drinking.....
High Left

Post by High Left »

Looked at the dates on mine, and looked up the replacement cost.

Went and poured a drink ...
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tangohammerli wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 pm I am socking away 25 dollars a year per cylinder to save for a replacement when mine expires.. Not to hard since I quit drinking.....

That's just SICK!

BTW I had mine re-dated by the manufacturer.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am BTW I had mine re-dated by the manufacturer.
Who was the manufacturer? I would definitely give significant preference to a vendor who re-certifies/re-builds their cylinders.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:44 pm
Rover wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am BTW I had mine re-dated by the manufacturer.
Who was the manufacturer? I would definitely give significant preference to a vendor who re-certifies/re-builds their cylinders.
Sorry, you're a day late and a dollar short. The now defunct Swiss manufacturer was SAM. That's why I was looking for someone who rebuilds cylinders (non-SAM) in another TT post.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I'd like to build a rocket based on an AP cylinder. Shall we say, a cylinder with fins and a nose cone. I've seen video of scuba tanks flying when shot or when the valve gets sheared off. I haven't tried to build a rocket because I don't know how to rapidly open the valve, plus don't have access to land where this might be remotely safe. If anyone has ideas, let me know. Oh, and I know that metal parts on hobby rockets are a no-no, as are rockets without recovery systems, per the amateur associations in the U.S. Obviously, this is naughty, but so am I.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

What am I missing? Why can't you take them to a hydro testing facility and have them re-tested and re-stamped? New hydro testing is good for 5 years.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
spektr

Post by spektr »

Hi Art.
The problem is that our cylinders lack internal inspection access
and have been end of lifed by regulators at 10 years. You could hydro them,
but lacking designed inspection access,]they are non serviceable......
The regulators did the same thing to all other cylinders in our class lacking internal inspection
due to issues arising in the life raft industry.....
David M

Post by David M »

I do not understand why there is so much mis-information about cylinders on Target Talk.
Aluminium cylinders do age, it's called fatigue.
The original alloy tank life was 20 yrs.’, but thanks to the German marine industry this was reduced to 10 yrs.
European manufactures have to abide by these laws, so the life is 10 yrs.
They cannot be inspected and life extended as a test for fatigue does not exist (until they start to crack then its too late).
Here is what Walther has to say...

"How long can I use my aluminium cylinder (compressed air and CO2)?
Past experience and further testing using the latest technology available indicate that the manufacturer-specific service life of aluminium compressed air cylinders should be limited to 10 years. This ensures a maximum degree of safety for users and third parties. Out of concern for users and third parties, we cannot recommend prolonging the service life of aluminium cylinders through “reconditioning” or “inspection” that involves pressure tests but does not include investigation of their internal structure (especially microstructure). In view of the many years of stress on the material (including especially possible damage, alteration and improper use), such tests cannot give a 100% guarantee that aluminium cylinders are safe to use for an extended period. For this reason, compressed air cylinders made of aluminium must not be used if they are more than 10 years old (according to the manufacturing date shown on the cylinders). Should the aluminium compressed air cylinder is used beyond the manufacturer-specific service life of 10 years, it is on the shooter’s own responsibility – there is a risk of injury!"
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

David M wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:57 amShould the aluminium compressed air cylinder is used beyond the manufacturer-specific service life of 10 years, it is on the shooter’s own responsibility – there is a risk of injury!"
The above is the only thing that many will focus on.
For those, yes under your own responsibility use your expired cylinders when shooting alone on your own range. And ask your home owners insurance provider what they think of your liability of having others shoot with you on your own property with expired tanks.
But at ISSF regulated competition (and should include the club, shared, or public ranges, have them check with their insurance providers what they think of not verifying cylinder dates and allowing expired cylinders to be used) GTF over it already. You'll need a cylinder that's within the date limit.
The rules changed in 2009!!! There have been threads on here about it that are more than 10 years old. Cylinders manufactured after the rule change are starting to hit expiry FFS.
Let threads about replacement or disposal run their course and stay on topic. 10+ years of belly-aching hasn't changed the mind of the regulators, 10 more won't either.
And Rover, the reason SAM re-dated your cylinder is probably explicitly because they were going defunct and the employee you had contact with didn't give AF. If any manufacturer did that, was still in business, and it was found out, they would lose their rights to manufacture certified cylinders and probably face fines and a possible recall of cylinders. However, if your re-dated cylinder fails before its newly acquired expiration date and the act of re-dating is uncovered the employee (and company execs) may find criminal responsibility follows them regardless of whether the company is still in existence.

(Bitching about the rule change back in 2009)
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Use an expired tube when training with a SCATT, cut of a bit and the weight stays normal.