Need Info on a RHUNER SPORTWAFFEN WEISBACH

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jkuper

Need Info on a RHUNER SPORTWAFFEN WEISBACH

Post by jkuper »

I bought this unfired in its box at a local gun show, but have yet to find out anything about it, I had it gun smith clean it and I have fired it a few times its very accurate, I think its an early free pistol but not sure, any information will be appricated, and what is it worth?

John
Raymac

Post by Raymac »

I think that is ROHNER.....they make a single-shot free pistol, it is quite inexpensive and very good considering the price.

Rohner Sportwaffenfabrik, GMBH
Untere Torstrasse, 9, Oberelsbach-Weisbach, 97656 Germany Tel:499774249
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

The Rhöner is (was) an entry level free pistol. It was manufactured by Rhöner Sportwaffenfabrik GmbH, located in Oberelsback-Weisbach, Germany. The company was started in 1959 by Walter Maier and as of the early 2000s was still a family business (maybe it still is, but websites can go for years without updates). I have not been able to find a company website (or much else about the company or this gun). They started by producing flare guns, but since 1966 the focus has been on hunting and sport arms. Their free pistol was produced in the 1980s (maybe sooner and/or later, but I haven’t seen anything to make me think so). Beeman (the air gun guy) imported it as a silhouette pistol for several years (with a sport grip, rather than the wrap-around). They sold for around $250 back then. The few I have seen have been used and in the $250-350 range. New in Box is something I can’t begin to guess at. Free pistols as collector guns is a really small market.

Accuracy of this barrel would be a small issue for most of us, and there is no reason to doubt the gun’s ability to get you into the low 500s. The trigger, while crisp, is not as fine as the higher priced FPs. Mine is adjusted about as low as it will go at near 150 grams (just under 5 ounces).
I have pictures that I took, along with disassembly/reassembly instructions if you find that you need them.
By any chance did you get a full set of manuals (in English) with yours? I have a multi generation Xerox of an exploded view (in German), but would really like to get a good copy of some documentation.
-BothellBob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

SM Rhöner Sportwaffenfabrik quit business in 1999. The single shot pistol SM 76 was very popular for european silhouette shooters. There is now a company, which bought the machines and the SM-brand and plans to get back into business, also with the SM 76:

SM Chemnitzer Sportwaffen- und Munitionsfabrik GmbH (Blankenauer Str. 75, D-09113 Chemnitz/Germany, Tel. +1149-371 418353
(sorry, no website)
Hamster

Re: Need Info on a RHUNER SPORTWAFFEN WEISBACH

Post by Hamster »

Just curious to know whether anyone else on Target Talk has one of these Rhoner Sportwaffen free pistols. I picked one up from an online firearms exchange here in Canada a few months ago. As noted previously (in 2005) on this forum, it's really a club gun. But I quite like mine, and have got to the point where I can hit a 4" plate with it reliably at 50m, two handed, and regularly, one handed. There seem to be two models. I have the one with a short vertical lever that pops the bolt back to open the chamber, and you cock the pistol by pressing the rear of the bolt forward manually. The trigger is placed quite far forward, and the trigger pull is unusually long, but it has a nice 2 lb letoff, and good sights.

There's another model, with a side lever for opening the chamber, which I've never seen.

I'm not sure whether it's possible to post photos here or not, but the one I have is the same as this (on a French website):
https://www.france-troc.com/Troc_echang ... 40990.html

Evidently there's a longer barreled version as well --
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... ree-pistol

I like this pistol so much that I'm thinking of buying a competitive free pistol, although they're rarely available here in Canada, and I've never seen one at any range here in the Vancouver, BC area (and there certainly aren't any competitions).
Alexander

Re: Need Info on a RHÖNER SPORTWAFFEN pistol

Post by Alexander »

Ulrich Eichstädt gave excellent albeit brief advice. The company exists no more (bankruptcy), the factory premises have been revamped and now are rented by a totally different manufacturer.

This gun at least in its last stage of development is not, repeat NOT an ISSF style Free Pistol, but a silhouette pistol. It was mostly used as such, and indeed enjoyed an excellent reputation for the purpose. Its accuracy back then was very good. Its lateral toggle lock was technically original.
I think Guido J. Wasser has written about it in the past.

Regards, Alexander