Beginner needs help...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jhd26

Re: Beginner needs help...

Post by jhd26 »

bdutton wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 am
jhd26 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 pm Thank you guys! Vendor offered multiple jackets shipped to me to find a right fit. But know little about what to check, I will find a chance to do in person.
I have lightly used champion shooter supply blue canvas and leather issf jacket and pants for sale and will be at camp Perry from July 8 through 24. If interested pm me. I am 6 foot tall and weigh about 200lbs. I wear a size 42 jacket.
I am 5’7 and 190lbs. My chest measure 42. Will it fit me?
I will be back July 8 from our Hawaii trip. So I can make a trip to Camp Perry. What will be happening there? Are there any workshops and clinics?
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

jhd26 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 pm Thank you guys! Vendor offered multiple jackets shipped to me to find a right fit. But know little about what to check, I will find a chance to do in person.
I have lightly used champion shooter supply blue canvas and leather issf jacket and pants for sale and will be at camp Perry from July 8 through 24. If interested pm me. I am 6 foot tall and weigh about 200lbs. I wear a size 42 jacket.
Do you plan to sell one of Scatt USBs? My next purchase is that. I have spent too much so far. I have to wait or find a good price pre-loved.

Thanks.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 amIs it true for Inisght out sight?
That depends on the threading, but unless it's much different to German norms, these will get you onto the black, and you can work from there.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:16 am
I will be back July 8 from our Hawaii trip. So I can make a trip to Camp Perry. What will be happening there? Are there any workshops and clinics?
Jacket might fit. Pants might be too long. I am a size 38.

The CMP national matches are there and they will be doing a smallbore small arms firing school... check it out...
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Sm ... e-2019.pdf
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 am
Do you plan to sell one of Scatt USBs? My next purchase is that. I have spent too much so far. I have to wait or find a good price pre-loved.

Thanks.
My scatts are being used by my juniors. Keep an eye out... there will be a scatt sub for sale here eventually.
Modena

Post by Modena »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 am Is it true for Inisght out sight?
Stop worrying about minutes of angle, zeroing dials, and other stuff you don't need to worry about.

Your sights are ten-click sights. One click will move the group about 2mm at 50 meters.

If your shots are grouping high, wind the top dial "in" like turning off a tap (turn it clockwise), if they're grouping low, wind it "out" (counterclockwise).

If shots are grouping to the left, wind the dial "out" (turn it counterclockwise, or the way I like to think of it is rolling the top of the dial towards you. Turn it the other way if shots are grouping to the right. This left/right assumes you are a right-handed shooter and hence in prone you are using your right hand to adjust the sight.

Forget about trying to "zero" the dial - you cannot read the numbers when you're in position, and the numbers are meaningless - what matters is where the group is, not what it says on the dial.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Modena wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm
jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 am Is it true for Inisght out sight?
Stop worrying about minutes of angle, zeroing dials, and other stuff you don't need to worry about.

Your sights are ten-click sights. One click will move the group about 2mm at 50 meters.

If your shots are grouping high, wind the top dial "in" like turning off a tap (turn it clockwise), if they're grouping low, wind it "out" (counterclockwise).

If shots are grouping to the left, wind the dial "out" (turn it counterclockwise, or the way I like to think of it is rolling the top of the dial towards you. Turn it the other way if shots are grouping to the right. This left/right assumes you are a right-handed shooter and hence in prone you are using your right hand to adjust the sight.

Forget about trying to "zero" the dial - you cannot read the numbers when you're in position, and the numbers are meaningless - what matters is where the group is, not what it says on the dial.
Thanks!

This is exactly kind of information I need to know. I believe I got torrent turn directions figured out. It is the counter intuitive way. if I am right I need be even tighter etc. Now I unscrew the caps and set the internals to proper directions, I can kind of set “zeros”. For no other reason but to know my starting point. All because I do not have longer ranges to play with.

Right now I practice at 25 yards. I am getting close. But I am moving slowly because it could be me not the sights. My target papers are not right and can’t give the right sight pictures. Still waiting for the reduced 25 yard targets.

I also find it hard to see black targets through my sights. I saw some color inserts. Not sure they are for front or rear sights. It seems the yellow might make it easy for me. Do you know where to get them? What size do I need?

Appreciate all the help I have been getting. Plan to go to Camp Perry. Get my jacket and may even find a teacher near me.
Modena

Post by Modena »

Get a target that only has bulls on one side of the paper (any target, so long as the paper is correct), turn it over and draw some black filled-in circles on there that ARE the correct size. Now you have the right sized targets. At 25 yards 44 millimeters would be a good size black dot to be practicing on.

Assuming your KK300 Anatomic does not have a barrel extension tube, your sight radius (distance from your aiming eye to the front aperture WHEN IN POSITION) in prone will be about 35" (+/- 1 or 2 inches wont make much difference at this point so don't stress over it), then a 3.6mm front aperture insert should be about the right size and that is most likely what the rifle came with.

Set your rear iris (if you have an adjustable one) to 1.1mm and leave it alone for now. Your aiming eye should be 1-2" from the rear iris aperture, so move the rear sight front/back to achieve this. Personally I have it so my eyebrow just touches the top of the iris, this gives a reference point for repeatability.

Watch this video to see what your sight picture should look like, and I suggest you watch all of Heinz's videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2-izm-N4A

Colored filters, either on your rear iris, or as inserts in the front aperture may help some people, but don't worry about them for now, you have bigger problems to be working on, and right now they will not make much difference.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

bdutton wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:48 pm
jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:16 am
Jacket might fit. Pants might be too long. I am a size 38.

The CMP national matches are there and they will be doing a smallbore small arms firing school... check it out...
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Sm ... e-2019.pdf
My pants size 36 but length can be a problem. You are a lot taller than me. What we can do is I will try to find you over that weekend July 20-21) at Camp Perry and give it a try. Thanks.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Modena wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:33 pm Get a target that only has bulls on one side of the paper (any target, so long as the paper is correct), turn it over and draw some black filled-in circles on there that ARE the correct size. Now you have the right sized targets. At 25 yards 44 millimeters would be a good size black dot to be practicing on.

Assuming your KK300 Anatomic does not have a barrel extension tube, your sight radius (distance from your aiming eye to the front aperture WHEN IN POSITION) in prone will be about 35" (+/- 1 or 2 inches wont make much difference at this point so don't stress over it), then a 3.6mm front aperture insert should be about the right size and that is most likely what the rifle came with.

Set your rear iris (if you have an adjustable one) to 1.1mm and leave it alone for now. Your aiming eye should be 1-2" from the rear iris aperture, so move the rear sight front/back to achieve this. Personally I have it so my eyebrow just touches the top of the iris, this gives a reference point for repeatability.

Watch this video to see what your sight picture should look like, and I suggest you watch all of Heinz's videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2-izm-N4A

Colored filters, either on your rear iris, or as inserts in the front aperture may help some people, but don't worry about them for now, you have bigger problems to be working on, and right now they will not make much difference.
Okay. Great! I watched that video many times and will watch more his. All this information is extremely practical and helpful.

Thank you again!
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Sorry another issue I have. I have been trying to fix the lock on my case that fell off. I have also been adjusting my buttplate last few days. Today I found this spring on the carpet. Almost certain it belongs to part of my refile or case.

Can anyone tell?

Thanks!
Attachments
96128AE9-EA1D-402F-BF5C-132AD7CD5DD4.jpeg
Modena

Post by Modena »

That spring is from the lock on the walther case
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Thank you so much! No wonder I can’t get my lock back onto the case.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:39 pm I also find it hard to see black targets through my sights. I saw some color inserts. Not sure they are for front or rear sights. It seems the yellow might make it easy for me. Do you know where to get them? What size do I need?
Leave colour filters for the moment. These won't help with a target 3x too large.

If your 25yd range is indoors, then yellow cuts some of the glare from fluorescent tube lights. So it may something to try in the future. Other colours tend to make your sight picture too dark under artificial light IMO.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Tim S wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:29 am Leave colour filters for the moment. These won't help with a target 3x too large.

If your 25yd range is indoors, then yellow cuts some of the glare from fluorescent tube lights. So it may something to try in the future. Other colours tend to make your sight picture too dark under artificial light IMO.
Okay. I worry about it later.

I should have asked before this order but I can still return it.
Is this going to work for me as a spotter? I know this kind of optic stuff one needs to shell out at least $1000. But I just want something manageable now and buy a good one later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PWCWR ... title&th=1

If it is not going to work. I will return it and buy something better.

Tim, you are so kind and generous with your time. Truly appreciate your help. I will get there. I take my hobbies seriously. I will get there. I have been practicing dry fire standing position with my MantisX for more than an hour every day and love it. I go to my current range to shoot twice a week.

Focus on getting a SCATT so I can do better practice at home.

Will go to Camp Perry to get a jacket and hopefully find a coach.

Thanks you everyone who helped me!
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am
Tim S wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:29 am Leave colour filters for the moment. These won't help with a target 3x too large.

Okay. I worry about it later.

I should have asked before this order but I can still return it.
Is this going to work for me as a spotter? I know this kind of optic stuff one needs to shell out at least $1000. But I just want something manageable now and buy a good one later.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07PWCWR ... title&th=1

If it is not going to work. I will return it and buy something better.

Tim, you are so kind and generous with your time. Truly appreciate your help. I will get there. I take my hobbies seriously. I will get there. I have been practicing dry fire standing position with my MantisX for more than an hour every day and love it. I go to my current range to shoot twice a week.

Focus on getting a SCATT so I can do better practice at home.

Will go to Camp Perry to get a jacket and hopefully find a coach.

Thanks you everyone who helped me!
That scope should to. You will also need a stand if shooting 3P and an off-hand stand to rest your rifle in standing...

Scope Stand and adapter for the scope: http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.a ... CC700SJCWC
Off-hand stand: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... item=CC22B

If you are only shooting prone, the provided tripod *might* work if its legs are adjustable length.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm My pants size 36 but length can be a problem. You are a lot taller than me. What we can do is I will try to find you over that weekend July 20-21) at Camp Perry and give it a try. Thanks.
FYI.... Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply, and Brenzovich are shooting apparel vendors and all will be present at vendors row at Camp Perry during Smallbore and some for the entire pistol-smallbore-high power dates. So you can go try on new and used clothing there.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Really? That will be great! I got it before I found the forum here. Once I see how small the holes are from my rifle on official target, I start to doubt. I will only need to it for no longer than 50 meter. Will check out stands. Thanks.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

bdutton wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:12 am
jhd26 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm My pants size 36 but length can be a problem. You are a lot taller than me. What we can do is I will try to find you over that weekend July 20-21) at Camp Perry and give it a try. Thanks.
FYI.... Champions Choice, Champion Shooters Supply, and Brenzovich are shooting apparel vendors and all will be present at vendors row at Camp Perry during Smallbore and some for the entire pistol-smallbore-high power dates. So you can go try on new and used clothing there.
Champion Shooters Supply is local to me. Maybe be I should go there and check.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

jhd26 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am Is this going to work for me as a spotter? I know this kind of optic stuff one needs to shell out at least $1000. But I just want something manageable now and buy a good one later.

Tim, you are so kind and generous with your time.
That should be fine for now 25 yards. You don't need super high power or expensive lenses for this distance. 20X is usually fine. I'm not familiar with the brand, but it may work for 50 and 100 too. IME really cheap scopes often struggle to resolve 0.22 holes at 100, and/or are fuzzy at the top end of the zoom, but you can deal with that in the future.

BDutton is right that the supplied stand is not ideal. It can work for prone, but is too low for standing/Kneeling. It's also rather flimsy. Shooting from a bench though, it'll suffice.