Beginner needs help...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tim S

Re: Beginner needs help...

Post by Tim S »

From memory the Anatomic has the Inside-Out rearsight. This is a 20 click sight. Each click is approximately 1/12 Minute. So at 50ft one Minute is 1/6in, and each click is 1/12 of that. So 6-8 clicks will move your group 1/12in.

As for the foresight, what size do you have? Remember these are scaled for standard distance-appropriate targets. That 50yd target is 3x too large at 50ft. Not changing the foresight is OK at first, but it's not good advice in the long term. The size and thickness of the aperture is personal, and dependent on the position - typically you would use a larger aperture standing (where your aim is less stable) than Prone.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 am Straight out of the box I made some shots at 50 feet. I am attaching a picture. The group is high and right. I turned torrents 6-8 clicks on both and saw very little change. It did increase my group. It was late and I did not have much time to shoot more last night. Will do it again this weekend.

So can you walk me through a basic sighting process given my lane is 75 feet max? For this group in my picture, how should I adjustment my torrents? Turning clockwise on both elevation and windage, right?

Also the manual says I can pull up the torrents and set my '0'. But I don't believe I can do that. Am I missing something?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just too new to this sport.

I have gained a lot knowledge from you guys. Thanks!

Thank you so much!
Try this shot box drill...

Shoot a 5 shot group from a rest.

Turn the sights 40 clicks right.

Shoot another 5 shot group.

Turn the sights 40 clicks down.

Turn sights 40 clicks left.

Turn the sights 40 clicks up (return to zero).

Measure with a micrometer the distance between the center of each group. Then calculate the millimeters between the center of the x/10 ring to the edge of the 10 ring and use that to calculate the number of clicks it takes to move the sights from the edge to the center of a ring.

This way you will know exactly how many clicks to go for a given shot call/group center to the center of the target.

Edit to add: Keep a journal and put this information in it as well as all of the DETAILED settings you used for the rifle in each position.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

bdutton wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:13 am
jhd26 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:27 am Straight out of the box I made some shots at 50 feet. I am attaching a picture. The group is high and right. I turned torrents 6-8 clicks on both and saw very little change. It did increase my group. It was late and I did not have much time to shoot more last night. Will do it again this weekend.

So can you walk me through a basic sighting process given my lane is 75 feet max? For this group in my picture, how should I adjustment my torrents? Turning clockwise on both elevation and windage, right?

Also the manual says I can pull up the torrents and set my '0'. But I don't believe I can do that. Am I missing something?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just too new to this sport.

I have gained a lot knowledge from you guys. Thanks!

Thank you so much!
Try this shot box drill...

Shoot a 5 shot group from a rest.

Turn the sights 40 clicks right.

Turn the sights 40 clicks down.

Turn sights 40 clicks left.

Turn the sights 40 clicks up (return to zero).

Measure with a micrometer the distance between the center of each group. Then calculate the millimeters between the center of the x/10 ring to the edge of the 10 ring and use that to calculate the number of clicks it takes to move the sights from the edge to the center of a ring.

This way you will know exactly how many clicks to go for a given shot call/group center to the center of the target.

Edit to add: Keep a journal and put this information in it as well as all of the DETAILED settings you used for the rifle in each position.
This is great! But It does not have a '0" stop on either torrents. I might just lose tracks of my clicks if I am not very careful.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Yes... you will need to keep track.

Typically, turrets are 10 clicks per revolution so it should be easy to keep track of based on the starting orientation of the "L->" and "U->" indicator.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

bdutton wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:54 am Yes... you will need to keep track.

Typically, turrets are 10 clicks per revolution so it should be easy to keep track of based on the starting orientation of the "L->" and "U->" indicator.
After my sighting, can I set a '0" somehow? Right now those indicators are at odd orientations.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Have you tried pulling the turrets up? Some have a spring detent, and you can turn the turret alone (not the adjustment screw), until the 0 face you. Other turrets are secured onto the adjustment screw with a grubs crew. Loosen this, turn the turret until the 0 faces you, then tighten the grubscrew.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Tim S wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am Have you tried pulling the turrets up? Some have a spring detent, and you can turn the turret alone (not the adjustment screw), until the 0 face you. Other turrets are secured onto the adjustment screw with a grubs crew. Loosen this, turn the turret until the 0 faces you, then tighten the grubscrew.
I could not get torrents to face me. But I was in a hurry. I am going to try tonight. There is one screw on the torrent cap then there is one hole. I cannot pull torrent up as the manual indicates.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Don't worry too much about turning the turrets to "0". You aren't shooting Palma Rifle with two sighters at 1000 yards. Competitions normally allow unlimited sighters, so if you clicked at your last session you'll still be on the black, and can click back into the centre.

If you shoot conventional prone at 50 and 100, there is a fair elevation change (7 minutes, or 35 Clicks on a 10 click rearsight). That's 3-1/2 complete turns, so starting at "0" doesn't mean much. You can mark 50 and 100 elevation settings if you want. Until then don't worry.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Okay. Thanks!
mhampel

Post by mhampel »

Cardinal range is open. I do not know about just driving up and shooting, but CORL (Central Ohio Rifle League) holds matches there fairly regularly. The next one isn't until August 18. Call Carl at Champion Shooters Supply (800-821-4867). Don't be reluctant to just show up and shoot. Everyone had to start somewhere.

I do not know if vendor booths will be at the ASSA match. Carl is a very knowledgeable and helpful individual. His shop can set you up with just about anything. There is also and auxiliary shop at the Cardinal Center. Call and ask when it is open. There will be shops at Camp Perry. Smallbore starts July 16 at Camp Perry.

I run the smallbore matches at Miami Rifle and Pistol Club (http://miamirifle-pistol.org). See our web page for dates. In general we shoot one half of an NRA 1600 every other Saturday (2nd and 4th Saturdays). It is probably a long drive for you for only an 80 shot league match, but everyone is welcome if you can make it..
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

mhampel wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 pm Cardinal range is open. I do not know about just driving up and shooting, but CORL (Central Ohio Rifle League) holds matches there fairly regularly. The next one isn't until August 18. Call Carl at Champion Shooters Supply (800-821-4867). Don't be reluctant to just show up and shoot. Everyone had to start somewhere.

I do not know if vendor booths will be at the ASSA match. Carl is a very knowledgeable and helpful individual. His shop can set you up with just about anything. There is also and auxiliary shop at the Cardinal Center. Call and ask when it is open. There will be shops at Camp Perry. Smallbore starts July 16 at Camp Perry.

I run the smallbore matches at Miami Rifle and Pistol Club (http://miamirifle-pistol.org). See our web page for dates. In general we shoot one half of an NRA 1600 every other Saturday (2nd and 4th Saturdays). It is probably a long drive for you for only an 80 shot league match, but everyone is welcome if you can make it..
Thank you! That is encouraging! I am holding my hopes up. Almost felt I tried to enter a wrong sport before your message.

I called several numbers last weeks to reach anyone at Cardinal centers. No one answered me. So I drove there to check out in person last Wednesday. All I saw was trap shooting and eventually got to the supposedly rifle range, I saw one gentle man shooting alone. But I had no idea if he was there testing or what. I tried to drive close and could not park and backed out. There was no office or stuff. It would not be appropriate for me to walk in on this lone shooter. So I gave up. That place is huge. I asked a few people Where the rifle range was and no one knew. For a beginner, it is really hard. I can’t talk to anyone over the phone. There is no office or stuff when I drive there. All I saw was construction and dust flying. And lot of people with shot guns. I was thinking why didn’t I enter trap shooting? It would have been a lot easier and cheaper.

As for Champion Shooters Supply, I called numerous time since May. I was originally planning to go there and purchase an Anschutz 1907. But I was told they had no target rifles in stock. In the beginning I was excited to learn there is one Anschutz dealer in my driving range. But after two months of calls and waiting, I was told to call no rifles. So what could I do? Searched the entire World Wide Web and found ISS and Neal liked to help and take my money. So I bought a KK300 and bunch of stuff. I have everything except a jacket. It is hard to buy a jacket online and over the phone.

After my vacation and return in July I plan to drive to Miami Rifle and Pistol Club. In fact a nice gentleman gave me a warm invite in private message. It is just I do not have big block of time next few days.

This week I even paid the due and joined Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association. I got one confirming email and that is it.

I am a lot more hopeful now. But you can see I tried really hard. For a beginner to enter a new sport, it is not easy. The most help I got is from nice folks here on this forum.

Thank you guys for keeping me going. Maybe most difficult part of my smallbore journey will be over.

If there is no vendor at Cardinal center over Nationals week, what are my other options to buy a jacket?

Thank you again for taking your time to give me information.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

You can buy a jacket on-line. These do not fit like a suit jacket, so don't assume you can order your normal size. Have someone measure you over a thick sweatshirt. Check your measurements against the vendors sizes. If you're between sizes speak with the vendor. They may let you order two sizes and return the one that doesn't fit.

For Prone, the jacket must be snug across your shoulder blades. You'll look the sling onto the jacket, so your arm doesn't take all the weight. If the jacket is loose, the rifle will drag it/sling down so the sling is slack. It doesn't have to be super tight around your chest - in fact too tight will restrict your arms for loading. A simple check for fit is to place your hands behind your head, and try to touch your elbows together. Ideally you want to come shoulders breadth and stop. A standard size jacket may not be perfect, but elbows actually touching is much too big.

The fit around your abdomen doesn't matter for prone, but does for standing.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

re shooting jackets: this "fyi" only.......
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... y&c=SACONR
I'd recommend talking to them and see what they have to say regards a proper fitting jacket
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Thank you guys! Vendor offered multiple jackets shipped to me to find a right fit. But know little about what to check, I will find a chance to do in person.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

I must not understand sightings. I sighted in very good at 30 feet. But when I put target at 75 feet, I was expecting my shots went low. But they are higher by 3-4 inches. What happens? No elevation and projectile opens up at 75 feet?
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

The bullet exits the barrel about 1.5 inches below your line of sight, and travels on an arc. 30 feet (10 yards) is still within the early portion of the arc where the bullet is traveling upward, and under the line of sight to 75 feet (25 yards). The bullet will begin to drop at about 30 yards, and be close to being right on at 80 yards.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Pat McCoy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 pm The bullet exits the barrel about 1.5 inches below your line of sight, and travels on an arc. 30 feet (10 yards) is still within the early portion of the arc where the bullet is traveling upward, and under the line of sight to 75 feet (25 yards). The bullet will begin to drop at about 30 yards, and be close to being right on at 80 yards.
Thank you.

So if I finally dialed in at 25 yards and want to sight in for 50 yards, what would I need to do? What would happen to my shot placement? How many clicks do I need to make? Is there a formula somewhere? Or is it something based on my own record keeping?

Thanks you again!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

25 to 50 is simple, we do it routinely in Britain. Between 2 and 2-1/2 minutes will get you into the middle. That's about a full turn, to a full turn + a quarter on a German sight. 10 and 20 click sights typically have the same thread, so the total adjustment is the same per turn. The 20 click sights just has finer graduations.

For 50 to 100, it's about 7 minutes. That's 3-1/2 turns of the rearsight. Sight in 2in high at 25 yards, and you'll be close at 100.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Tim S wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:58 am 25 to 50 is simple, we do it routinely in Britain. Between 2 and 2-1/2 minutes will get you into the middle. That's about a full turn, to a full turn + a quarter on a German sight. 10 and 20 click sights typically have the same thread, so the total adjustment is the same per turn. The 20 click sights just has finer graduations.

For 50 to 100, it's about 7 minutes. That's 3-1/2 turns of the rearsight. Sight in 2in high at 25 yards, and you'll be close at 100.
Is it true for Inisght out sight?
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

jhd26 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:14 pm Thank you guys! Vendor offered multiple jackets shipped to me to find a right fit. But know little about what to check, I will find a chance to do in person.
I have lightly used champion shooter supply blue canvas and leather issf jacket and pants for sale and will be at camp Perry from July 8 through 24. If interested pm me. I am 6 foot tall and weigh about 200lbs. I wear a size 42 jacket.