Graphic representation of sight picture

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
thirdwheel

Graphic representation of sight picture

Post by thirdwheel »

Here is a link to the best graphic representation of sight alignment I've ever seen, and it's effects on POI and a very useful graphic representation of trigger release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCBlLpXMp9U
dulcmr-man

Re: Graphic representation of sight picture

Post by dulcmr-man »

Very concise and illustrative of the affect of proper sight alignment versus sight picture. However, I do have one question related to that part of the video depicting trigger pressure.

It appears that the trigger press is not a smooth and continuous movement from zero to the shot break. He stops at about 200 g as he passes the center of the black, then increases the pull again as he enters his aiming area, then pauses briefly again before continuing the pull until the shot releases. Everything I've read here indicates that the trigger pull should be smooth and continuous, or am I mistaken? I'm hoping for some comment here from our better shooters as trigger control is one of my major problem areas.

Comments, anyone?

TIA,

Dennis
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dulcmr-man wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am It appears that the trigger press is not a smooth and continuous movement from zero to the shot break. He stops at about 200 g as he passes the center of the black, then increases the pull again as he enters his aiming area, then pauses briefly again before continuing the pull until the shot releases. Everything I've read here indicates that the trigger pull should be smooth and continuous, or am I mistaken? I'm hoping for some comment here from our better shooters as trigger control is one of my major problem areas.
IMHO it depends how you have got your trigger set up.

If you've got it set up as a 2 (or 3 including free play) stage then the only one that really matters is the final stage. How you get to the final stage makes very little (if any) difference.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

David Levene wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am IMHO it depends how you have got your trigger set up.

If you've got it set up as a 2 (or 3 including free play) stage then the only one that really matters is the final stage. How you get to the final stage makes very little (if any) difference.
OK, so I shoot a Morini 162EI and I purposely removed the first stage trigger pull in pursuit of the "continuous" trigger pull because I found that
with a 2 stage trigger I could feel the resistance change at the end of the first stage. This caused me to hesitate at that point and often lead to over holding and a conscious effort to "make" the shot break. Am I doing this wrong?

Dennis
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dulcmr-man wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:17 pm
David Levene wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am IMHO it depends how you have got your trigger set up.

OK, so I shoot a Morini 162EI and I purposely removed the first stage trigger pull in pursuit of the "continuous" trigger pull because I found that
with a 2 stage trigger I could feel the resistance change at the end of the first stage. This caused me to hesitate at that point and often lead to over holding and a conscious effort to "make" the shot break. Am I doing this wrong?
As I said, IMHO what you do to get to the final stage is virtually irrelevant. It's what you do in the final stage that's important.

If, for example, you set the first stage at 350g and the second stage at 200g then you don't have to worry too much about how you take up the first 350g, you just have to learn how release the final stage smoothly and positively.

If you want to stick with a single stage then good luck. Once again, IMHO, you're making it hard for yourself.
David M

Post by David M »

To expand it some more, it also depends on how you have the second stage travel set. (style of trigger break).
350g/200g ratio can have a very short break like glass trigger break and you would take up most or all of the first
stage travel on the bench or early in the lift.
450g/80-100g ratio with a break like glass trigger you would not take up the weight until in the aiming area.
The same ratio with a longer roll off travel (softer feel) you would take up the weight on the bench and it
would feel progressive up until trigger break.
The two types of trigger to avoid are the very short travel full weight trigger (little or no movement) and
the two stage with a very light weight 2nd weight (less than 50g) and no 2nd stage travel.

PS The video is great, pity it is not in english, I could use it at the club with new members.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

David Levene wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm
As I said, IMHO what you do to get to the final stage is virtually irrelevant. It's what you do in the final stage that's important.

If, for example, you set the first stage at 350g and the second stage at 200g then you don't have to worry too much about how you take up the first 350g, you just have to learn how release the final stage smoothly and positively.

If you want to stick with a single stage then good luck. Once again, IMHO, you're making it hard for yourself.
Thanks, David. If you would, please expound on your statement that I'm making it hard on myself. Is it accepted practice among top shooters to use a two stage trigger setup? Any advice on setting the Morini trigger for the "glass like break" for the second stage?

TIA,

Dennis
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dulcmr-man wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm
David Levene wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks, David. If you would, please expound on your statement that I'm making it hard on myself. Is it accepted practice among top shooters to use a two stage trigger setup? Any advice on setting the Morini trigger for the "glass like break" for the second stage?
Firstly, it was not a statement it was an opinion.

With a single stage trigger I believe that you need to have a perfect trigger action for all 550g. With a 2 stage trigger then it doesn't matter what you do for the first stage; you can play with the trigger. The first stage becomes just like taking up any free play.

There are people on here who are much more qualified to give advice on setting up a Morini trigger. DavidM?
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Thank you for the update, David. What you said makes perfect sense to me.

Dennis