Type of Paper Used for Air Pistol Targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Re: Type of Paper Used for Air Pistol Targets

Post by B Lafferty »

gimgim wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:12 pm
B Lafferty wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:09 pm As I wrote, for practice they're cost effective.
Not really. There is no way you can score with those holes once you start getting better groups.
(I use Kruger, 10 holes per target, and patch each targets once)
Yes, really. For practice it's just fine for me. I'll live with the minute uncertainty of the absolute score until using the Kruger targets for competition.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Not really. There is no way you can score with those holes once you start getting better groups.
[/quote]

Patch each target once? Please explain how you are doing that. Thanks.

Dennis
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

dulcmr-man wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:14 am Not really. There is no way you can score with those holes once you start getting better groups.
Patch each target once? Please explain how you are doing that. Thanks.

Dennis
[/quote]
"Patch" was a miss-type. That should have been shoot.
Yes, for practice the holes illustrated are quite acceptable. I have no difficulty scoring them with this, just like we did in the 60's with .22 when the holes were no better.
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=132NLP

Of course, if you're really good, even Kruger isn't accurate enough by today's scoring standards. I assume that you must be practicing and competing with a Sius system. Sadly, that's beyond my means. I envy you.:-)
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> Patch each target once? Please explain how you are doing that. Thanks.

I use a small square of paper from a used target and glue it behind the black, then with a sharpie color the holes a bit, nothing fancy.
Holes are still easy to score after that, even from the app (my scores are in the 500s though)
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

gimgim wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am > Patch each target once? Please explain how you are doing that. Thanks.

I use a small square of paper from a used target and glue it behind the black, then with a sharpie color the holes a bit, nothing fancy.
Holes are still easy to score after that, even from the app (my scores are in the 500s though)
My cost per practice target is a least 15 cents per target less than Kruger targets. I'm presently shooting at around 508 after an injury to my shoulder in January while snow-shoeing. Before that I was averaging in the low 530's. After the injury, in March, I was shooting in the 470's, so at least there's some progress. Now to find the Fountain of Youth.......
fhorrigan

Post by fhorrigan »

Since someone mentioned baking, I thought I'd share my latest DIY target "recipe" and an example (see photo)

I initially used 20 lb paper on top of a backer (manila folder), like B Lafferty - with similar results. Then I had a chance to try a Kruger target and realized how much cleaner the holes could be! At that point, I planned to order some Kruger B-40/4 targets (4 bull per page). But they were out of stock. And I also like to print 6 bulls per page for practice. So I decided to experiment instead.

There are various reference to baking paper targets on this forum, but not a lot of details. Some suggest simply microwaving or baking at around 100 Centigrade. But I think that simply dries out the paper. Drying does temporarily reduce tearing in a humid climate, but is reversible and doesn't make the paper more "brittle". Most paper (except archival acid-free paper) becomes more yellow and brittle with age because it contains acid that eventually degrades the fibers (making them effectively shorter?). Presumably, baking accelerates that reaction.

I first tried baking 20 lb paper in a small laboratory oven at different temperatures to see when it starts to turn yellow/brittle. 150-200 C seems to work, but the temperature in the small oven was not uniform enough. So I switched to my larger home oven.

Test #1 (20 lb laser paper):
Baking 400 F (~204 C) for ~45 min to 1 hr turns white 20 lb laser printer paper to a color similar to a Kruger target, and cuts clean holes. But the paper also becomes very fragile and tends to crack when there are too many holes too close together. So I switched to a heavier paper.

Test #2 (67 lb Neenah Exact vellum Bristol Cardstock, pastel ivory, 81368):
I saw a previous post on this forum recommending the Neenah 67 lb as a DIY target paper. I bought some last year when I first started printing targets ($7.77 for 250 pages, which I mention because it seems to more expensive at this time). The ivory color is similar to a Kruger target, it works fine with my laser printer, and is heavy enough that is doesn't need a backer. The unmodified paper didn't work any better than 20 lb paper for my air pistol (it did work better with a higher velocity air rifle) . However, when baked, the heavier paper gave me very good results.

The photo is an example of a target using my current recipe (Neenah Exact vellum (67 lb) paper baked at 400 F for 50 min). I think the holes are as clean as on Kruger paper. I used an FWB 103 (~500 fps, w/Beeman coated wadcutters) - your mileage may vary. I picked the example because it was done yesterday during humid Houston weather (73 F dew point) and a month after baking, so it seems to be tolerant of humidity. The issue I am still playing with is how best to bake the pages and keep them uniform. A large stack of paper doesn't work (paper is a good insulator), but multiple stacks of 5 pages appear to be pretty consistent. I usually do 20 pages at a time on metal baking sheets, but think I could fit a lot more especially with some kind of rack to keep the stacks separated. I haven't tested other heavy papers, but expect they should work too.
Attachments
Photo on 6-16-19 at 9.08 AM (1).jpg
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

B Lafferty wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:17 am The cost of ink is negligible.
You're kidding yourself, or stealing your printing services from your employer.

- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607