Esports compares itselfs to 10M Air Rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

abrasivereshaping

Esports compares itselfs to 10M Air Rifle

Post by abrasivereshaping »

Not sure how I feel about this comparison...considering my obsessive quest of gaining knowledge to coach my son(Brandon Mach) to his current level.

https://www.ibuypower.com/Product/Landi ... eal-Sports

"Olympic Sports like 10 Meter Air Rifle are similar to Esports because they need little to no physical athleticism and focused more on skill"

Scroll down to almost bottom.

I'm not sure if whoever wrote / posted has ever held a 12lbs rifle for 75 minutes while attempting to make 60 of their best shots. There is a lot of athleticism / endurance in what we do...you just have to look internally to see it.

Hope I don't ruffle to many feathers...maybe I just needed another cup of coffee this morning :)
m1963

Re: Esports compares itselfs to 10M Air Rifle

Post by m1963 »

True story-

While working an extra duty job some years back a person came up to me and asked, “is that a Sig-Sauer P226 you are carrying?”

Questions about the sidearm of choice for LE agencies in the US are commonplace, and I replied, “yes.” He went on to tell me that he had qualified with the weapon multiple times on some digital platform, or other, and told me that he could outshoot any officer in the division. Perhaps, he was right, in a digital life.

eSports have their place. The problem is, they have no place in reality, in my opinion. I have no eSports experience, and no eSports credentials.

I would add, that there are now universities that issue degrees in eSports.

Best regards,
m1963
Last edited by m1963 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProdigalSon

Post by ProdigalSon »

I think it's a fair comparison, when you compare rifle to more traditionally athletic sports. While it definitely does take effort to shoot a rifle well, it doesn't require nearly the kind of strength and endurance you need to be competitive in something like soccer, cross country, boxing, etc. Gaming doesn't really require much athleticism, but it requires even more focus and mental engagement than shooting does. A professional Starcraft gamer will often have 150+ actions (move/attack commands, building, etc.) per minute - there is no slowing down, no not paying attention for even a second, or you lose. In some ways that mindset is the opposite of what I've been taught for shooting (slow, focused, zenlike), which may be why I suck at Starcraft, but to be good you have to be fast, focused, competitive, and able to think simultaneously at a single-unit tactical level and a macro strategic level. Given that rifle and pistol are both focused, mental control sports as well, I can accept the comparison.
abrasivereshaping

Post by abrasivereshaping »

ProdigalSon wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 pm I think it's a fair comparison, when you compare rifle to more traditionally athletic sports. While it definitely does take effort to shoot a rifle well, it doesn't require nearly the kind of strength and endurance you need to be competitive in something like soccer, cross country, boxing, etc. Gaming doesn't really require much athleticism, but it requires even more focus and mental engagement than shooting does. A professional Starcraft gamer will often have 150+ actions (move/attack commands, building, etc.) per minute - there is no slowing down, no not paying attention for even a second, or you lose. In some ways that mindset is the opposite of what I've been taught for shooting (slow, focused, zenlike), which may be why I suck at Starcraft, but to be good you have to be fast, focused, competitive, and able to think simultaneously at a single-unit tactical level and a macro strategic level. Given that rifle and pistol are both focused, mental control sports as well, I can accept the comparison.
I can agree that the mental control aspects do have some similarities. The issue is how they worded it.

"Olympic Sports like 10 Meter Air Rifle are similar to Esports because they need little to no physical athleticism and focused more on skill"

I can tell you with 100% confidence that shooting 10M Air Rifle, in practice, into the 600-610's decimal can be attained with quality training habits. Once you break into the mid to upper 613-619, takes more effort in coordination of the body system, training regiment. Once you break into the 620's you are on a full regiment of exercise, balance training for Proprioception enhancement and lots of hours on the range. The next level as you approach the 630 barrier, is the continuation of the previous but also real in depth understanding of "your" body. Creating a system of thought, that allows you to build a checklist of the external and internal feelings that allow you to replicate the pattern of great performance. There is much more athleticism than most people think, especially if you're at Team national level and above.

I think this is a good conversation and appreciate the detailed responses. I think Esports should put some of their athletes in our 10M athletes arena for a week and see if the comparison of little to no athleticism still holds true.

Please keep this going, I'd like to see the opinions of other coaches and athletes.

Best Regards,

Bill
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

I think it may come down to your definition of "athleticism". Typically when I hear someone use the word athleticism, they are using it to refer to the more 'dynamic' elements of sport: running, jumping, moving, reacting. Less common, but still applicable, would be reference to physical strength.

It would be hard to argue that a 10m rifle shooter demonstrates athleticism under the first definition, other than in the most generous manner. I would argue that even the second definition would be a stretch. There is NO QUESTION that it takes strength and tremendous conditioning to shoot rifle at a high level. However, I think one would be hard pressed to argue, in a fair comparison, that it is a similar level of 'athleticism' as a soccer, football, runner, or even tennis player.

The concentration, control, and endurance (mental and physical) required for 10m rifle are certainly immense, but I would not label those characteristics of "athleticism", in the traditional sense.

marky-d
JMHollowell

Post by JMHollowell »

I would have agreed with them before my daughter began to shoot. To see the physical ability to be able to force your body to become completely motionless to get off the best shot possible completely.

If there is any question, sit there and watch someone who just shoots for fun & watch someone who competes. Focus on the end of the rifle and you will see the difference.

Sorry, but a "sport" that allows for the "athlete" to sit on his ass & manipulate a remote control will never add up to a sport that requires physical & mental stamina.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I KNEW IT!!!!! I’m selling all my target rifles tomorrow! I’m gonna get me one of those push button thingees with a joystick so I can pretend like I’m running around doing stuff while I act like I’m concentrating. First I better get a trainer to deal with sports injuries like carpal tunnel. Geez, next thing you know people will be saying shooting is a sport like golf or curling.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I meant egolf and ecurling so unclench. I was wondering why you never see anyone outside anymore.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

We now have a generation which believes playing Guitar Hero is harder than learning to play an actual guitar, and anyone can be an invincible sniper after five minutes practice.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

James, if we work hard we can become Guitar Snipers