Does anyone not use the grip hand rest ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mhayford45

Does anyone not use the grip hand rest ?

Post by mhayford45 »

I have been seriously working with grip pressure, hand placement and the hand rest the last few weeks as I have a right to left movement in sight picture when shooting. I have eliminated the trigger as the cause of the movement as the movement is present when the trigger is moved forward or backward.

I am beginning to think that the hand rest when adjusted with moderate to firm pressure ranges on the heel of the hand is the cause of the movement. When I loosen it so that there is no pressure on the heel of the hand i grip with a little more hand pressure and if my hand is fully engaged on the grip, the movement is much less pronounced.

Has anyone worked with no hand grip? why and what was your conclusion?

Thanks
Mark
jckstrthmghty

Re: Does anyone not use the grip hand rest ?

Post by jckstrthmghty »

I'm no expert but sounds like you have stated why you have right to left movement if holding the pistol in your right hand. With the palm shelf likely tightening your grip as you pull the trigger where without you already have a tighter grip so less of an effect.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have always believed that the "palm shelf"/"heel rest" (or whatever ...) should be used as an "indexing" device to locate your hand repeatably & consistently. It is not a a clamp that should apply significant pressure to your hand, precisely for the reason you discovered.

An ideal grip (both yours and the pistol's) should have some "margin", so that small changes in gripping pressure (which should ONLY be applied from the front strap into the heel of the hand) should not make the barrel point all over the place. Any pressure not in line with the barrel should be avoided. The finger tips & thumb should be relaxed, or ideally, OFF the pistol grip entirely.

Depending on how firm your grasp is, a typical pistol will pivot on the top of the 2nd finger, and if your grasp is fairly relaxed, the pistol grip will press upward against the heel of the hand. If you vary your gripping pressure significantly, the flesh around the heel of the hand will expand and contract, shifting the aim of the pistol. There is a bone at the heel of the hand that should take most of the pressure. There is very little muscle beneath that, so the movement should be minimal IF that is the primary contact point. The more you clamp the heel rest against your hand, the larger the contact area with muscles that will shift your aim when your grasp changes.
mhayford45

Post by mhayford45 »

I worked 2 practice sessions with no hand rest and with the hand rest. I shot more consistently with the rear of the rest engaged and with the front of the rest not engaged with the heel of my hand.

Without the rest, grip pressure was increased in order to support the sight picture. The groups were good but low.

With the hand rest engaged lightly and the grip pressure used without the hand rest, the best overall stable sight picture was obtained. Consistency was very good string to string and as a result of this work i achieved my first 560+ score.

The time was well spent.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good on ya, mate!