Unusual stock for an older M54 Anschutz rifle.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

James Storm

Unusual stock for an older M54 Anschutz rifle.

Post by James Storm »

I solicit the collected experience of the TT users to help me understand the nature of the stock pictured in the accompanying photographs. From the rear of the inletted section to the front, the stock looks like a usual walnut Anschutz stock. The the stock behind the inletted area looks as if it had been worked on at home with somewhat coarse checkering and and a unusual to me shaping of the wood to fair into the heavy aluminum butt structure. This aluminum part looks to me as if it had been cast professionally. Has anyone ever seen a butt piece like this? Any information you can provide will be gratefully received. Thanks, James Storm
Attachments
IMG_3854.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3850.JPG
MGoodman

Re: Unusual stock for an older M54 Anschutz rifle.

Post by MGoodman »

Looks like a factory 1411 stock with a custom made buttplate
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Yep, that's a 1960s 1411, say 1963-ish. That iteration had a distinctive cheekpieces that slopes down to the grip. The chequering doesn't look the best, but I want to say that the stock has been refinished.

I've not seen that buttplate before. There were a few US hardware makers, and most alu butt parts were pretty chunky. It could be home-made, although it's more likely to be formed from a solid piece, not cast.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

In response to Tim S and Mgoodman, thanks for your replies. Indeed, the stock appears to have been recoated after the factory, judging from a couple of sags in the finish. Am I correct that the shape of the left side of the rear of the stock (below the cheek) are part of the factory manufacture?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

James,

The cheekpiece looks like a factory job to me. Anschutz cut the 1411 pretty square until the 1970s.
beye

Post by beye »

The grip was originally checkered at the factory. Looks like it's been filled in somewhat by the new finish. My guess about the buttplate is that it was cut short for some reason (perhaps for a b/p adjustable for length or just for a shorter shooter) and the new b/p was to restore it close to original LOP. No doubts that the butt has been cut off, as the cheekpiece at the top on this stock ended about 3/4" before the plastic b/p was attached. Too bad it doesn't still have the forend accessory rail, as replacements are difficult to find in this size anymore.
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

Inspired by the several observations of the TT community, this weekend I stripped the finish from the stock. The checkering, which looked coarse when covered by the old finish, looked fine and regular, quite professional, when the finish was removed. This is consistent with the hypothesis that it was a factory job. Jim.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

James,

Chequering at the grip would be normal for a 1960s model. Anschutz switched to a stippled finish from 1970.