ISSF - R, P & SG Dress Code

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

jhmartin

ISSF - R, P & SG Dress Code

Post by jhmartin »

ISSF is contemplating dress code requirements that are more "National" color coordinating. (for TV of course! ... which is so well covered)
Rifle, Pistol & Shotgun shooters coaches, and yes even officials should go thru this presentation and make comments to: munich@issf-sports.org

Here is a link to the presentation:
https://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=3331

I particularly could make fun of some of what they consider "not nice"
Tim S

Re: ISSF - R, P & SG Dress Code

Post by Tim S »

I saw this yesterday. While I think I understand their basic point, I think it would be difficult to implement. Even if you ignore the cost, and that is a considerable matter especially for juniors, rifle clothing just isn't the same as athletic lycra. It's not printed, so colour designs are limited by the cut of the jacket/trousers. Is it possible to create enough distinctive variations based on the limited colour palette of national flags? Will manufacturers have to keep national team designs on file? Will a team be restricted to a particular brand? National team visors are one of the few readily acheivable items.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I understand where ISSF is coming from. However:

I look at it from the perspective of a lowly club coach here in the USA.
We have club & JROTC teams ... We have many HS shooters that go to international comps
Strictly club shooters do have some pretty "unique" personal color schemes
We have NCAA teams with their school colors as well .... and a lot of them have school colors/patterns
In rifle a shooting suit is just as much of the personal gear as the rifle.

Here in the USA, it would be very similar --- maybe worse --- to telling an athlete they had to have a different rifle for Club/JROTC (say 3-P Precision Air), Collegiate comps (NCAA) & International comps. These "suits", especially custom, are too expensive and too different to have a different one for different levels of competition

As noted ... a common "track suit" type of podium wear is easily done.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Does this mean that leopard thongs will no longer be in vogue?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Rover wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm Does this mean that leopard thongs will no longer be in vogue?
whaaat - not even in San Fransisco?
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Wow. How ridiculous.

Particularly amusing after "Not nice", is "To merchandise. Items which wide audience would like to buy for their use". What wide audience? lol.

You'll only have a wide audience in so far as Olympic team merchandise is concerned.

Are national teams really so flush with extra cash and bursting at the seams with talented athletes that they can concentrate on how good everyone looks?

I would like to know what level of competition the pictures were taken at. Surely not all of them were taken at international levels of competition.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

In my opinion, besides the additional cost the biggest hurdle about the idea is one of timing. In many cases, final selections for an international match is only a short time before the event. Since custom rifle suits take months to get delivered (and months more to "wear in"), does the ISSF expect every single person that might remotely qualify to attend an international match purchase a "legal" outfit? Certainly our national governing body isn't funded to do so....
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

The folks that will make these decisions are probably not the same as will read our posts here.
In my original post there is an email address that you should also send your comments too.

I certainly did and I also have made the suggestion to our national coach and some select NCAA coaches to make comments as well

Fill their in-box!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

As this relates to all ISSF disciplines, I have moved it to the Shooters Lounge.
Sandsniper

Post by Sandsniper »

Rover wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm Does this mean that leopard thongs will no longer be in vogue?
No Leopard print? - that's my shooting aspirations in tatters then !
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

Sandsniper wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:36 am
No Leopard print? - that's my shooting aspirations in tatters then !
Once seen, never able to be unseen.... just ask the Old Fella. I think he went blind after the "moon shot"