Older Armadillo Anschutz Buttplate

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

lyoke2

Older Armadillo Anschutz Buttplate

Post by lyoke2 »

There is an opportunity for me to purchase one of the older armadillo Anschutz buttplates. I have never shot with one before but have heard great things about them. This would be used for prone only.

I haven't seen many in the market before so I am not sure of a fair price. This is the complete buttplate with hook. What would be a good price on these today?

I have also read that these are no long ISSF legal, I am not sure of this claim since I do not have the buttplate dimensions on hand but there are quite a few that are similar in design on the market. Is this buttplate still legal under ISSF (USA Shooting) rules?

Thank you for any and all advice.
Tim S

Re: Older Armadillo Anschutz Buttplate

Post by Tim S »

Lyoke,

The (il)legality relates to the depth of curvature. Since Anschutz designed and made the plate the ISSF limited this to 25mm. Some shooters have ground the top of the plate, so it can be tilted back and still be ISSF compliant.

In terms of pricing, remember than Anschutz now make a new version, and Grunig make a close copy. You shouldn't pay more than a new plate.
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

I have had one of these. It was better than one of the totally rigid Anschutz butt hooks that preceded it, but I thought that it still did not adapt fully to the shoulder. Also I believe that the armadillo bit is made of somewhat brittle metal. I much prefer my Gemini butt hook, which I think is probably unequalled as a design, if rather fiddly to set up.

As for price, I would expect to pay considerably less than the price for a new butt hook modelled on the armadillo, such as Grunig and Elmiger offer, but how much less will depend on supply and demand. I have seen examples on ebay go for what I would regard as excessive sums of money.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

Thank you for the replies.

I definitely won't pay more than a new plate!
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Over the past 2 years, I have bought 2 and both were under $200. Note that they were also almost in unused condition.
Regards
ken
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

I have once to sell. 150$ plus mail.
I live in Spain.

BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Another, same price.
Only butplate.

Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Except that's not an Armadillo butt. Those are 1960s or early 1970s plates for a 1413. The "Armadillo" is the 4762 plate (with five bolts at the side) introduced around 1984 for the 1813, and later used on the 1913 and 2013 until the late 1990s.
BR1942

Post by BR1942 »

Thank you for explaining.

Why people wants "armadillo"?. There are many modern butts that works as well or even better.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

That's a good question. I think one reason is that it still works, even though it's not the fanciest design any more. You can still see these plates on the latest rifles at World Cup matches.
lyoke2

Post by lyoke2 »

I ended up getting the buttplate.

Haven't shot with it yet but I am pretty happy with the quality. I need to do a little grinding to make it legal and missing a screw but I am looking forward to testing it out.

I appreciate everyone's help.