Walther LP500; any good?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jerome

Re: Walther LP500; any good?

Post by Jerome »

Could do; although it's a shame one would need to improvise with such an expensive pistol. This issue might be a "game-changer" for those who prefer pistols weighing more than 950g, and don't want a weight bar poking-out forward of the trigger guard. Will we see LP500's in cup finals stuffed to over-flowing with home-made weights? I doubt it.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Got my Walther 500 E short time ago. Have owned a Steyr LP Evo E for some time.
Pros and cons, in my humble opinion:
- Walther 500 E has no on/off switch for the electronic trigger unit. Unit activates when the trigger is pulled the firste time for the shooting session. Auto shut off, 20 - 30 min.
- Steyr Evo E: Blinking LED tells battery (low) charge status. LED-warning for low battery (400 remaining shots).
- Walther 500 E: Battery status info by pressing trigger for more seconds, then the blue LED will indicate status: 6 blinks: fully charged, 1 blink: time to charge. A matter of preferance. I would probably prefer the Steyr way to do it.
- Steyr Evo E: On/off switch incorporated. Auto shut-off, 20 - 30 min.
- Steyr Evo E: Battery can be charged without removing battery. Userfriendly.
- Walther 500 E: Battery has to be removed for charging. Remove grips, then two bolts. Less userfriendly.
- Steyr Eveo E: Battery in grip. The battery is slim, but care must be taken when resculpturing grip, though. (The older Steyr LP 10 E battery unit is bulkier).
- Walther 500 E : No battery in grip. Probably preferable.
_ Steyr Evo E/Walther 500 E: The Steyr more front heavy, the gun heavier too.

The owners manual for the Walther 500 E is good, but has one shortcoming: One singe line about the electronic trigger unit only.

(Considerations/info from Walther LP 500 owners invited.)
Last edited by northpaw on Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

northpaw wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:55 am
- Walther 500 E: Battery has to be removed for charging. Remove grips, then two bolts. Less userfriendly.
Just take the grip off and charge it?
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

According to owners manual the trigger unit has to be removed from the frame for charging. Remove grip, then unscrew to bolts to remove the unit from the frame. Charge, then reinstall. I´ll recharge in the future, and let you know.
jckstrthmghty

Post by jckstrthmghty »

To add further confusion an image I found of the LP500 being charged.

Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

That's the way to do it
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Grip-frame washers stacking sequence?
Case solved.
- - -
About the electronic trigger of the LP 500 E Expert: Feels different from the electronic trigger of the Steyr LP EVO E. Maybe I prefer the E-trigger of the Walther, but I´ll reduce the weight of the second step of the trigger more. Are spring of different strenghts avilable for the second step of the E-trigger unit? I have adjusted the 2. step down as far as possible (adjustment screw about to pop out.)
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

Any feed-back on the mechanical trigger version? Is the LP500 mechanism the same as the LP400; does anyone know?
Star7

Post by Star7 »

I do not have enough shots on my LP500 m to really asses the trigger. It is, naturally, very good. However, until I play with the adjustments and get a feel for the variety and degree of interaction of the adjustments I can't say much. Good trigger.

The FWB P8x, has a really good trigger with rational, easy to understand, adjustments and so far, I prefer it. The P8X does not require grip removal for let-off weight adjustment whereas the LP500 does....not really a big deficit.

again......just got the LP500 and only 500-1k pellets......too soon to say.
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

I liked the trigger on my old LP400, but after around 200 shots, the trigger weight would always need adjusting as it invariably became too light (and illegal). Frustratingly, it seemed that no amount of readjustment would stop the trigger from eventually becoming too light. Perhaps this is normal and I should stop complaining? Or it might be that I'm still too inexperienced to set the trigger so that it stays on weight?
Star7

Post by Star7 »

I have well over 500 pellets but not 1k through the LP500 and the trigger has remained very consistent. I am a little biased toward the fwb triggers both P700 and P8X but there is thus far nothing at all wrong with the LP500 trigger. I should have a couple of thousand pellets through it shortly...I'll certainly report if it starts to drift.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Does the LP500 electronic has the usual solenoid or is it a completely different electronics?
Star7

Post by Star7 »

Has anyone got a comparative weight on the LP400 cylinder versus the LP500 cylinder? Aside from being a lot cheaper, I am curious how much the center of mass is moved.

According to the Champion's Choice 2019 catalog both cylinders fit both LP400 and LP500. There is at least $60 difference. I bet the weight difference is trivial.
David M

Post by David M »

Jerome wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm I liked the trigger on my old LP400, but after around 200 shots, the trigger weight would always need adjusting as it invariably became too light (and illegal). Frustratingly, it seemed that no amount of readjustment would stop the trigger from eventually becoming too light. Perhaps this is normal and I should stop complaining? Or it might be that I'm still too inexperienced to set the trigger so that it stays on weight?
This will happen on the LP400 if the second stage is set too light.
The second stage spring is very short and a little stiff and at min weight it only just touchs or runs out of adjustment.
Change the spring (148) to a longer spring (about 2 coils) with lighter coils (finner wire) and it will fix the problem
of light second stage weights.
Attachments
LP 2nd spring.jpg
LP 2nd spring.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
Jerome

Post by Jerome »

Many thanks for the trigger-setting advice David. Meanwhile, I just purchased a LP400 Alu; so no LP500 for me. Only wanted a mechanical trigger and I'm not convinced that the LP500 offers anything substantial over the LP400.