SCATT calibration problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

deleted

SCATT calibration problem

Post by deleted »

Hi,

I have a question about the scatt system. I recently purchased the SCATT USB professional set with OS-01 sensor. And although I have heard good stories about the system, I cannot get it to work properly.

I purchased the system for home use at shorter distances. But here is the problem, so far the system has been really unreliable. I have set it up in different rooms at different distances in the house, but I cannot seem to calibrate the system right. Sometimes I get no signal at all. I tried different lightning settings but the system is not consistent. Sometimes, I get it working in a really dark area of the house for some reason, next time it won't work when the room is dark. Most of the time I have the target fully illumintated but I get no signal at all. When calibrating, the circle for the working area in the calibration process disappears when I move the corsshair to the middle of the target. I have no shiny floors, and i always closed all curtains when there is a window in the room. Even put a blanket on the TV and PC monitor.

It has been tested on two different shooting ranges which both have good lightning conditions. For some reason it's not working on one range (never get a signal), and it does work sometimes on the other range but shots are way of target (no it's not me =). Most of the time there is no singal, or signal is lost mid session.

I have no clue when it will work. I have updated the hardware and installed the software drivers. Installed at windows 7 and windows 10 system but the problem does not seem to be connected to the software. I installed USBdiag, a tool from the SCATT site and everthing seems to be working ok (see attachment).

I already read some topics here about the calibration problem, but is anyone else having this problem with the system being so unrealible and inconsistent? I hope some of you may have some tips for me to get the system working because i paid a lot of money for it.

P.S. Sorry for grammar mistakes, english is not my native language =)
Last edited by deleted on Sat May 18, 2019 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhmartin

Re: SCATT calibration problem

Post by jhmartin »

Sorry, But is this a real old system? I cannot find an OS-01 sensor ... OS-02 maybe?
Look here for the part???
https://www.scatt.com/item
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hello-

This manual was helpful to us-

http://www.coachexcellence.net/wp-conte ... -SCATT.pdf

(Here is a link to the website, itself- http://www.coachexcellence.net )

I just remembered that we run our SCATT program as a service, on start-up, so it stays connected during use.

Best regards,
m1963
Last edited by m1963 on Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Hi, it is indeed an older system, not sure how old exactly. But my sensor does say OS-01 on the side. Most of the system is identical to the USB model they sell on https://www.scatt.com/scatt-usb except the electronic target model ( I have WT-01 model).

Earlier I read the manual from coachexellence and that's when I tried different lightning and avoid shiny floors, mirrors, windows etc. I learned that fluorescent lightning makes things worse. I tried LED, that makes things a little better, but most of the time it refuses to work. I checked if it was something with the cables but the system always shows up in my USB devices on PC and does not dissconnect out of itself.

Maybe something wrong with the targetdevice or sensor?
Last edited by deleted on Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modena

Post by Modena »

If you see the dot on the calibration screen, but it "disappears" when you actually sight to the target, then I would say the SCATT is not pointing at the target precisely enough, and you need to adjust it's position on the rifle. Don't forget that if you have a cant on the rifle then you need to allow for that when mounting to the rifle.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

Running on Win10, mine is more consistent by starting the program in "administrator" mode, then connecting the usb cables. Make sure the computer is not going into sleep mode when connected, once that happens I am disconnected even though the program still shows on the screen. 95% of the time it works fine, 5% it is frustrating for sure. Good shooting.
Mike
deleted

Post by deleted »

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips.

I tried to calibrate the sensor more precisely so (when i get a signal) the shot falls exactly in the middle of the calibration screen. I put some paper under the sensor because i do not have adjustment screws. Also tried running it in administrator mode and made sure the system will not go into sleep mode. Unfortunately these things didn't make any difference.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

As long as the dot is inside the circle, it is fine to go. Shoot a group even if it is not in the middle, the group can be moved to the center of the target by the software. The other parameters that the program measures are far more important than the score while you are learning.

Mike
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I used to borrow an old version of a SCATT .... one with a metal target shell ... not the newer plastic.
With that one items that I found that drove it crazy were:
1) Halogen lamps --- these lamps light have a very high IR content which I found REALLY messed up any type of calibration attemp
2) Older Flourescent lamps and their associated ballasts ... if the ballasts are older the electromagnetic interference is hard on the sensor and the target
3) Motors on our range's exhaust fans ... 40+ years old also screwed up the SCATT
4) Gloss painted walls
5) Heating vents or ducts blowing hot air thru the SCATT beam path.

The newer USBs are much less sensitive and our MX-02s we have no trouble with
blb67

Post by blb67 »

Hi,
Have you tried updating the firmware on the usb and sensor?
If not here is the link

https://www.scatt.com/downloads/scattfw ... -03-18.exe

Try using Windows 7 with latest software and drives from the same site

-Basit