Cataract surgery, part 2

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M.

Cataract surgery, part 2

Post by Mike M. »

Need some advice here...

I had cataract surgery done on my left (non-sighting) eye a year ago. I got a monofocal lens, set for distance. I'm now to the point where the right eye needs to be done in the next 6 months...maybe sooner. The right eye is seriously nearsighted (about 3 diopters), it's perfect...at about 1 foot. Great for reading, marginal for computer (or shooting) without correction. The problem is that while I have a set of glasses that correct, the difference in apparent sizes of objects between the right and left eye while wearing glasses is enough to give me serious depth perception issues.

The question is, when I get the right eye done, do I go for a distance correction, or a reading correction? The conventional wisdom is distance, but the reading is terribly tempting.

Thoughts?
Ramon OP

Re: Cataract surgery, part 2

Post by Ramon OP »

Reading matters much more than shooting and you do it much more often :)
Ramon
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Reading matters much more than shooting and you do it much more often :)
No,the OP is saying the uncorrected eye is good for reading,computer and shooting.
Definitely go with the advice of the eye surgeon. Then get a corrected lens for shooting if necessary.
The 2 lens should be compatible is my understanding.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I was in a similar situation years ago. I was unable to adapt to monovision (one eye near, the other far) so I opted to have both corrected for distance. I now use prescription bifocals for reading/computer and a separate prescription lens for my pistol front sight. Works well for my. YMMV.

Dennis
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I had both eyes done last April. My correction prior to surgery was 5+ in each eye (had great vision at 4-6"). Now I'm 20/20 in each eye, and use dollar store reading glasses for reading (2.75) and computers (2.50). I also have a 3.75 in the workshop for up close work. I use shooting glasses without correction for both rifle and pistol.

I did have a Toric lens put in one eye, to fix an astigmatism. A friend had one eye implant for distance, and the other for close work, and had lots of trouble adjusting to them(but eventually did).

Talk to you ophthalmologist abot the options, and get his recommendation. Good luck.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Correct prescription for shooting is about +0.50 for rifle and +0.75 for pistol, which is slighly closer than distance, but not as close as reading (which is usually about +2.00). There is a 'mid-distance' option for cataracts that I think is in the +0.50 to +0.75 range, so ask your doctor about these.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

I'm not an eye doctor but it seems to me that it would be easier to go from a distance prescription to a reading prescription, rather than visa versa. additionally, your eyes will change as you age and so will your glasses.... personally, I'd have distance in both eyes and then get a prescription monacle for shooting. seems if you had distance in one eye and reading in the other, then you'd have trouble with depth perception... ??? wish you the best.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
BlingPig95

Post by BlingPig95 »

I've been reading these posts with increasing interest as I am scheduled to get cataract surgery on both eyes in mid-late June. I have terrible myopia and have been wearing stronger and stronger glasses since about the third grade. As I would like to be spectacle free if at all possible, and have astigmatism in both eyes, am considering the Toric lens option. Is this what is being talked about vis-a-vis distance correction or reading correction? I shoot mostly rifle and really wouldn't mind needing glasses for reading, but want to make the right choice for general vision when not reading or on a computer.
Your input will be most welcome!
Thanks!
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

BlingPig95 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:25 am I've been reading these posts with increasing interest as I am scheduled to get cataract surgery on both eyes in mid-late June. I have terrible myopia and have been wearing stronger and stronger glasses since about the third grade. As I would like to be spectacle free if at all possible, and have astigmatism in both eyes, am considering the Toric lens option. Is this what is being talked about vis-a-vis distance correction or reading correction? I shoot mostly rifle and really wouldn't mind needing glasses for reading, but want to make the right choice for general vision when not reading or on a computer.
Your input will be most welcome!
Thanks!
I was VERY myopic (20/600 & 20/800) with mild astigmatism before cataract surgery, but toric lenses were not available when I had mine so I cannot speak to that. However, I chose to have both eyes corrected for distance and I've been happy with that decision. Of course, you will need readers for computer and close up work, but that will happen in any case as you age. The lens implants I have correct me to about 20/30 and I subsequently had lasik to further correct my vision which is now 20/20 & 20/15. There's a BIG difference between 20/30 and 20/20, so chose an option that gets you to 20/20 if possible. I had surgery on each eye at different times so between surgeries I had "monovision" requiring a contact in one eye. I could not get used to the monovision which is why I had the second eye corrected for distance. From my personal perspective I would not recommend monovision although I know some folks who have adapted. YMMV.

Dennis
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

That's the issue. Right now, without glasses, I've got about 20/20-25 in the left eye. Right eye is highly myopic, but works great for about 12 inches. I'm effectively using monovision, and have adapted nicely to it. My big worry is that any error in a reading prescription would really screw things up. And that happened with the left eye, I wound up with 1.25 diopters of farsightedness that required a piggyback lens to correct.