Home made grips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

Home made grips?

Post by IPshooter »

Hello all,

I am glad to be back here after being away for much too long. :-)

While I am working to return to shooting myself, I have begun training my granddaughter in the sport. She is enthused about it and shows great promise.

I have only two APs with which to do her training - a Morini 162 EI and a Steyr LP5. We work on both precision shots and simulated 25 m RF from the 25 m Women's match.

Her performance is hindered by the grips on them which are both medium RH grips. According to Steyr grip chart, she needs an XS RH grip. Unfortunately, these grip prices are not reasonable at this point in her shooting career.

What I would like to do is make some sort of grip for her to use on the LP5. She can use that pistol for all of her training, for now.

Has anyone made such a grip, and if so, can you provide any guidance on how to get this done? I don't have any machinery to get other than a Dremel for final fitting.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them.

TIA

Stan
william

Re: Home made grips?

Post by william »

Don Nygord wrote almost everything you'll need to know. It's a pity he died before there could be a Part 3.
http://www.cincinnatirevolverclub.net/nygord.html

A Dremel with a small assortment of bits / sanders and a few hand files is all you'll need.

Don'e passing was one of the great losses to our sport, as was Arnie Vitarbo's. Arnie made great custom grips for not much over half the price of original and less than half of what Rink charged.

Let us know how it goes.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Thanks, William.

I met both Don and Arnie early in my ISSF shooting career. Both great people. It's a shame they're not with us now.

I had already downloaded Don's terrific advice a number of years ago, and I will go through it again.

Thanks again.

Stan
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

Arnie is no longer with us??? When did that happen? Please reply.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Andrew Berryhill does fabuluois grips and the 2 of you should have a conversation, he can scale vrips to any size.....
william

Post by william »

Marc Orvin wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:56 pm Arnie is no longer with us??? When did that happen? Please reply.
If I'm wrong I sincerely apologize. I thought I had read that maybe a year or two ago. There are things I'd like to be wrong about.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Arnold Vitarbo is still around and in Utah. He attends the monthly upms.org matches.
william

Post by william »

wasatch wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:43 pm Arnold Vitarbo is still around and in Utah. He attends the monthly upms.org matches.
Thank you. I'm really pleased to have been wrong. I'll be more careful next time.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Easy on the scotch, Willie.

Arnie and I have a great relationship based on our mutual interests; mainly Italian cooking and La Dolce Vita.
ABerryhill

Post by ABerryhill »

Stan,

I can help you with the little grips you are looking for. I make 3d printed target pistol grips and making them for small hands was one of the reasons I started the business. Search this site and the Bullseye forum for lots of reviews of my work and take a look at my website for details.

Let me know if you have any questions.

All best,
Andrew Berryhill

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips@gmail.com
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Hello all,

We have decided to make a grip for this young lady. It is nearly finished, and I think it will be a huge help for her.

However, and I might be imaging this, it seems to me that someone posted something here about how they transferred the exact contours of a grip (or other item) to an uncut wooden block using a mechanical rig they put together themselves. As I recall, they had a cutter on one side of the rig (at the uncut block of wood), and the opposite side of the rig had a roller or similar piece that moved along the contours of the original piece. The end result was a very accurate replication of the original piece.

I have searched for this in a number of ways with no luck. And, it was probably posted years ago.

Am I imagining this or is such a post on TT?

TIA

Stan

Post by 1066 »

You could do a search for "wood copy follower" or "carving duplicator machines" look for images, there's plenty of homemade designs out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWnntV20II
Last edited by 1066 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

There is a device known as a "pantograph" that's used to copy flat drawings. I wonder if there's a similar device used for your purposes.

Dennis
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Hello all,

A good friend of mine, an AP and FP competitor, took on the challenge of making this grip. He is doing a great job, and we're wondering about the best finish for the grip.

I've read about Tung oil, Danish oil, etc. Wondering what the recommendations are from this board. Looking for something that will not be slick.

Does anyone know what Steyr, Pardini or Morini use to finish their grips?

TIA

Stan
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Tru-Oil or Liberon Finishing Oil would be my first choices.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Watco Danish Oil works really well. If you wet sand it with their Carnauba wax & 600 grit emery paper, you get a beautiful satin finish that is easy to restore when you whittle later, and the wax makes it non-slip.
Ozbart

Post by Ozbart »

Andrew Berryhill of has made me two left-handed grips which are almost perfect. Andrew worked with me until these grips were perfect. Using Scuptwood I added a Palm Shelf Up-sweep to the grip. It is a perfect fit for my hand. Scultpwood works very well with the resin based material Andrew uses in his 3-D printer.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If these were my grips (I'm still a growing boy), I would leave a coarse finish with no "oil" for grip, and be ready to sand as growth and body changes require.

"Using Scuptwood I added a Palm Shelf Up-sweep to the grip." I don't think this is legal, but you could check with Levene.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Download the rulebook for free at issf homepage.
You can have any curves you want if they go in the direction with the barrel. Sideways is not allowed upwards for the palmshelf, or downwards over thumb or hand.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

About five or six years ago there was someone in these forums making customizable blanks that could be dremmeled down to a custom fit for the Baikal pistol. Does anyone remember who that was?
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh