Olympic BREAKDANCING ???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

69Dart

Re: Olympic BREAKDANCING ???

Post by 69Dart »

I only have one question. When did breakdancing become a sport?
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

69Dart wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am I only have one question. When did breakdancing become a sport?
Ever since people decided to hold competitions. Then they (https://www.worlddancesport.org/) did everything necessary to get themselves recognised by the IOC. Which makes them one of the members here:
https://www.arisf.sport/members.aspx

All of which are federations with disciplines that could be added to the Olympics.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

The real problem is the Olympics have lost sight of the difference between a sport and an organized activity. When you need a panel of judges where they throw out the highest and lowest score and average the rest to determine the winner vs. reading the time off a stop watch or counting the points scored; it stops being a measurable achievement and becomes a popularity contest or judge’s opinion to determine the winner. They might be enjoyable to watch, but that does not make them a sport.
69Dart

Post by 69Dart »

SlartyBartFast wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:05 pm
69Dart wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am I only have one question. When did breakdancing become a sport?
Ever since people decided to hold competitions. Then they (https://www.worlddancesport.org/) did everything necessary to get themselves recognised by the IOC. Which makes them one of the members here:
https://www.arisf.sport/members.aspx

All of which are federations with disciplines that could be added to the Olympics.
I suppose we'll see line dancing and two step competition next. Maybe bird watching too.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

69Dart wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 amI suppose we'll see line dancing and two step competition next.
The Dancesport federation represents competition in many dance disciplines. Get over it.
- FAS SP607
69Dart

Post by 69Dart »

SlartyBartFast wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 am
69Dart wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:18 amI suppose we'll see line dancing and two step competition next.
The Dancesport federation represents competition in many dance disciplines. Get over it.
There is nothing to "get over" as I don't have a problem with dance. I guess I'm like lots of other folks that don't consider dance as a "sport". You like it, fine, I prefer traditional sports.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

69Dart wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 amYou like it, fine, I prefer traditional sports.
Considering the history of artistic events at the Olympics, it's a bit hypocritical to consider Shooting "traditional". And I suspect like many others you consider that shooting should have some kind of historical protection that removes consideration of participation, worldwide support, and costs.
I don't particularly like ballroom dance or figure skating or rhythmic gymnastics with the twirling streamers. But all have been or are in the Olympics.
My position is that belly-aching and moaning about other disciplines not being sports (which require as much devotion and practice as Shooting and other sports) isn't doing one whit of good to promote shooting sports and getting more participants and spectators. The Olympics has always been about what is already a widely practised activity and wasn't formed to prop up sports.
Shooting needs all this energy directed at the ISSF to promote competitions and encourage and recognise participation in all disciplines by men and women (a simple start would require all competitions to offer mens and womens events for all disciplines).
- FAS SP607
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

SlartyBartFast wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 am Shooting needs all this energy directed at the ISSF to promote competitions and encourage and recognise participation in all disciplines by men and women (a simple start would require all competitions to offer mens and womens events for all disciplines).
Unfortunately that would be highly unlikely to increase the number of shooting events at the Olympics.

It was a major success to retain 15 shooting medals for Tokyo (albeit with the majority of the mixed team event participants being double-starters - only 4 QPs per mixed event)
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

David Levene wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am Unfortunately that would be highly unlikely to increase the number of shooting events at the Olympics.
Every sport is lucky to KEEP events at the Olympics going forwards. The last time Shooting had more than 15 was 17 in 2000 and 2004. And that was the highest is had been since 1920 FFS.

So again, belly-aching about which sports come in as demonstration sports and whether they're really sports does nothing to help the cause.

We have 15 spots and will maintain those 15 spots only if we remain positive and the events stay relevant to worldwide participation and interest.
It is unfortunate that the number of events goes from 306 in Rio to 336 in Tokyo, busting the idea that the Olympics is too big and the numbers of events and athletes needs to be keep down, and there wasn't room in there to boost EVERY required discipline to an equal number of events to meet the M/F requirements. Then many disciplines, and not just shooting, wouldn't need to invent team events to fill spots so they aren't lost. But with rifle, pistol, and shotgun to balance, shooting needs 18 events to have equal M and F events in all (6/6/6 instead of the current 5/5/5).

But the sports added to Tokyo aren't all required sports. They're added at the request of the host city and may not return for the next Olympics.

In the end keeping up participation of Shooting sports in 75 countries on 4 continents is on us, our national federations, and the ISSF. As is keeping our participation at levels higher than events in other disciplines already in the Olympics or the dozens of recognised sports such as bowling, bridge, Kerfball, and all the others that are awaiting their chance to become demonstration sports and then full fledged sports at the Olympics.

To repeat myself: "Shooting needs all this energy directed at the ISSF to promote competitions and encourage and recognise participation in all disciplines by men and women (a simple start would require all competitions to offer mens and womens events for all disciplines)."
- FAS SP607
69Dart

Post by 69Dart »

SlartyBartFast wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 am
69Dart wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:28 amYou like it, fine, I prefer traditional sports.
Considering the history of artistic events at the Olympics, it's a bit hypocritical to consider Shooting "traditional". And I suspect like many others you consider that shooting should have some kind of historical protection that removes consideration of participation, worldwide support, and costs.
I don't particularly like ballroom dance or figure skating or rhythmic gymnastics with the twirling streamers. But all have been or are in the Olympics.
My position is that belly-aching and moaning about other disciplines not being sports (which require as much devotion and practice as Shooting and other sports) isn't doing one whit of good to promote shooting sports and getting more participants and spectators. The Olympics has always been about what is already a widely practised activity and wasn't formed to prop up sports.
Shooting needs all this energy directed at the ISSF to promote competitions and encourage and recognise participation in all disciplines by men and women (a simple start would require all competitions to offer mens and womens events for all disciplines).
And I suspect you give yourself too much credit for knowing what I'm thinking. I simply asked "when did break dancing become a sport". As far as it being "artistic", well that's subjective. Also I understand Olympic events changing to try keep pace with the world as it changes too, it doesn't mean that I'll be one of those watching. That being said more people in the US will probably watch break dancing than any of the shooting sports.
Not bitching, moaning or complaining, just simply stating my view as anyone else here has the right too.
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Considering the history of artistic events at the Olympics, it's a bit hypocritical to consider Shooting "traditional".
It seems a bit arrogant to equate his, or anyone's, definition of "traditional" to have anything to do with what appears in the Olympics. I know that's not my definition.
SlartyBartFast wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:29 am My position is that belly-aching and moaning about other disciplines not being sports (which require as much devotion and practice as Shooting and other sports) isn't doing one whit of good to promote shooting sports and getting more participants and spectators.
As I tried to imply previously, you seem to be the only person here "belly-aching and moaning" about anything. I don't really understand why you seem to have an axe to grind for anyone that has an opinion or comment about different Olympic events.

marky-d
sparky

Post by sparky »

SlartyBartFast,
The Olympics have historically had a martial component to them, whether it was wrestling in ancient Greece, or the modern pentathlon mimicking the skills required of a 19th century soldier in the modern games since 1896. Artistic events are very much a recent change, in comparison.

Between your comments here, telling others to "get over it" and others you have made in the last year or so that you've taken up the shooting sports, it appears you delight more in complaining about and berating those who compete in various precision pistol events (NRA and ISSF) than actually participating in them...which you don't, if I recall correctly (maybe once or twice?).

Perhaps you might find greater happiness in selling your firearms and taking up dance or one of the other more artistic pursuits.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Fun Olympic trivia: They once awarded an Olympic medal for sculpture.

More fun Olympic trivia: The man who won that Gold, Walter Winans, also won an Olympic Gold for rifle shooting.

Chaser to both: Winans was primarily a pistol shooter...and a noted painter of watercolors. Excellent writer, too.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

sparky wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 pmPerhaps you might find greater happiness in selling your firearms and taking up dance or one of the other more artistic pursuits.
Well, FU.
I'm perfectly happy to participate as I can in shooting. I'd be happier if everyone shooting spent less time playing the victim and more time doing something to improve local, regional, national, and international competition and representation.

As for the traditional martial component? Some sports certainly. But many others not. WTH does it matter? Doesn't give any sport protected status.
- FAS SP607
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

So after that last comment, I guess this would be an inappropriate time to suggest a new Silhouette Event: