FWB P8X

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jerber

FWB P8X

Post by jerber »

I'm just curious on how well or bad the latest FWB P8X AP is doing?
I remember when I used to compete back in the early 80's,FWB were the only pistols used (there might of been some others but not many)
I do realize the Styer LP is the most used this days but how is the FWB doing?
Are they getting more popular?less?
I don't know why but always like the FWB line of AP/AR
Any thoughts?
Thanks
kevinweiho

Re: FWB P8X

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:09 pmI do realize the Styer LP is the most used this days but how is the FWB doing?
FWB's international championship medal count for AP in 2018 (ISSF Weltcup Fort Benning) was only one silver for men, I think it was won with a P44 instead of a P8X.

I still have a lot of respect for FWB, and I hope they will become the major player once again in the future. Their after market and customer service is second to none. I still own a P34 short, 103 and an 80, very reliable and accurate pistols, however, I like the feeling of my Steyr LP10 better and that's the pistol I use when I am training and competing against my friends.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I have been shooting a FWB P8X for two years. Great pistol , excellent adjustability. I sold my Steyr LP10 and seldom shoot my Morini. All of the top tier pistols are competitive, it's like buying shoes, it has to feel right to you.
Gort
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I wish FWB would get off their duffs and get back into making black powder revolvers.
High Left

Post by High Left »

I can't disagree, although I think its single shots. Preferably flintlocks.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Forget, the black powder single shots and flintlocks, FWB should get into the small arms business, just like their closest neighbor, H&K...
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

FWB entered the top level for AP with their M65, back in the 1960s. A reliable and god gun of its day.
Later, as FWB got on the CO2-bandwaggon, they offered the singe-shots: C2, C10, C20 and C25.
The first, the C2 (no pressure regulator, but was ok), the C10, C20 and C5 feature pressure regulators.
Of the FWB CO2 pistols, the C25 is my favorite. A bit front heavy (even with no conterweights), but acceptable.

Then, FWB started offering pcp pistols: the P30, P34,P40, P44, and the present P8X.
The P30 to P44 evolved issues.
I have owned most, and used all, FWB models, except the P80.

I think the FWB P8X is gaining favour these days.
May FWB offer an electronic trigger version of the P8X in the future?
jerber

Post by jerber »

kevinweiho wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:11 am Forget, the black powder single shots and flintlocks, FWB should get into the small arms business, just like their closest neighbor, H&K...
Well yes it would be nice,but I don't think it would be wise for them to get into small firearms
They're so many out there and not many people knows the name Feinwerkbau other than those who competes
They will need to make a good and reliable guns at a reasonable price
jerber

Post by jerber »

Mike M. wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:01 pm I wish FWB would get off their duffs and get back into making black powder revolvers.
I used to see that on their website few years ago
What is going on with this black powder pistol?
Was/is there some kind of discipline with those pistols?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:10 am
kevinweiho wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:11 am Forget, the black powder single shots and flintlocks, FWB should get into the small arms business, just like their closest neighbor, H&K...
Well yes it would be nice,but I don't think it would be wise for them to get into small firearms
They're so many out there and not many people knows the name Feinwerkbau other than those who competes
They will need to make a good and reliable guns at a reasonable price
Not necessarily, many folks that are into firearms also have quality airguns and have heard of FWB. For a company to thrive, they must diversify, if you build it, they will come...well, a niche market...

They already have decades of expertise on making precision components, they should have no problems making quality handguns or rifles. Look at Korth or Janz, their revolvers have hefty price tags, I don’t see them going out of business.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Speaking of being unfamiliar with FWB, are you aware that they already make .22 pistols & rifles?
jerber

Post by jerber »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:08 pm Speaking of being unfamiliar with FWB, are you aware that they already make .22 pistols & rifles?
Are you asking me?
Of course I do know
What I was referring is that most people here that shoots larger caliber hand guns don't know the feinwerkbau brand
Sure if you are into AP,a lot do know the brand
I have shot in bullseye league shooting and some people that I met never heard of it
I don't know what type of hand guns Kevin is wishing to see but if they decide to go into polymer or steel frame hand guns like race guns, they're going to need to expand and spend lots of money on something they probably never did
They're so many out there it would be a risk to take
Unless they can make it affordable
Believe me,I would be interested to see some like that
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pm
Gwhite wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:08 pm Speaking of being unfamiliar with FWB, are you aware that they already make .22 pistols & rifles?
Are you asking me?
Of course I do know
What I was referring is that most people here that shoots larger caliber hand guns don't know the feinwerkbau brand
Sure if you are into AP,a lot do know the brand
I have shot in bullseye league shooting and some people that I met never heard of it
I don't know what type of hand guns Kevin is wishing to see but if they decide to go into polymer or steel frame hand guns like race guns, they're going to need to expand and spend lots of money on something they probably never did
They're so many out there it would be a risk to take
Unless they can make it affordable
Believe me,I would be interested to see some like that
Being both a firearm and airgun enthusiast, and owning three FWB air pistols, I am quite familiar with FWB and their humble beginnings... The .22 pistols and rifles you mentioned are made specifically for ISSF shooting events. I am referring about them making centerfire handguns and rifles like most firearm manufacturers...
Last edited by kevinweiho on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:26 pmthey're going to need to expand and spend lots of money on something they probably never did They're so many out there it would be a risk to take
Unless they can make it affordable Believe me,I would be interested to see some like that
Two things that take a BIG chunk outta a company in making a new product is R&D and marketing...The risk is necessary, if they want to take the next step up, and yes, it would be wise for them to make a line that is affordable...
jerber

Post by jerber »

So Kev,
What are you thinking?
A line of firearms like Walther offers?
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

jerber wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:02 am Was/is there some kind of discipline with those pistols?
Yes. The Muzzle Loading Associations International Confederation (MLAIC) is the international governing body for black powder shooting. They hold a World Championship every other year - about 25 nations field team, around 400 competitors.

FWB made a replica of the Remington 1863 revolver for Hege (a German company), and marketed a repro of the Rogers & Spencer revolver under their own name. Both are top-rated guns in the revolver matches.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Getting back on topic, I wanted to go back to a mechanical trigger and selected the P8X for its wide range of grip adjustability.
As a bonus I got a gun with the nicest trigger I have ever pulled, and an absorber that really works (now I know what they are for).
jerber

Post by jerber »

jbshooter wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 pm Getting back on topic, I wanted to go back to a mechanical trigger and selected the P8X for its wide range of grip adjustability.
As a bonus I got a gun with the nicest trigger I have ever pulled, and an absorber that really works (now I know what they are for).
What pistol (s) did you have before?
And do you see the P8X a good competitor?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I started with Anschutz LP@ when they first came out about 2003 I think, had that for a couple of years, then Morini 162EI for more years and my scores went up and I entered more regional and national competitions with it. Bought a second hand LP10 but didn't keep it for long. Then I sold the Morini and bought a new LP400. Sold that and bought a new mechanical LP10 which I only kept for four weeks before going back to a new Morini 162EI. Then last year I traded the Morini for a Walther SSP and bought a new P8X which I can see myself staying with for a long time to come.
I can't see why they aren't already in the World Cups - I believe they would be every bit as competitive as a Steyr or Pardini.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

jerber wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:20 pm So Kev,
What are you thinking?
A line of firearms like Walther offers?
FWB could offer what Walther has, but they will have to start from scratch which is extremely difficult, (they only have 160 employees since 2007)
or they can joint venture with a renowned firearms manufacturer to formally enter the market.

I think they should first start out with ONE product, (either a centerfire handgun or rifle) when people start to realize how great the gun is, they will spread the word like wildfire...Ok, back to the P8X...