How does the Match GUn MG-1 compare to other pistols?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
StevenL

How does the Match GUn MG-1 compare to other pistols?

Post by StevenL »

IT seems like a good deal...Morini created pistol for around $1000. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this pistol?

Thanks
Steve
omegaman

How does the Match Gun MG-1 compare to other pistols?

Post by omegaman »

Steven:
MG-1 has excellent grips and ample adjustability. It is accurate, has excellent balance and a decent trigger. The staked balls and spring that hold the loading lever came out on mine. This allowed the loading lever to pop up after each shot. (put the balls and spring back in and re-stake them with a 3/32 nail setter) Other than that it is a great gun. To your question; I have an LP-10 that I bought used from another forum member, a Pardini K2s (2005) and an IZH-46M. I had extensive use of an electric trigger Morini that belonged to a team member. I shot one against the other for several weeks. I admit to being a poor shot and found only a few points difference between each of those mentioned. I didn't like the feel of the Steyr as much as the MG-1 but over the length of my "test" the Steyr recorded higher scores. My preference (and that is all it is) is in this order: LP-10, MG-1, Pardini, Morini, then IZH-46M. Any of these can win for you and your list could be the reverse of mine. Hope this helps.
Carlisle
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Caveat Emptor---is my motto when it comes to Morini---Their Free Pistol and Air Pistol---the 84E and 162EI---are without equal. The rest of Morini's stuff, the MG series and CM 22 have issues that frankly IMHO smack of poor engineering and/or manufacture. Additionally which Morini is making which Morini guns---is it Swiss or Italian???? Another point is after the passing of Don Nygord, who is going to handle the Morini importation and servicing???? I have the Morini electronic trigger AP and I think it is the best I have every owned---others swear by the Steyr AP's---those are your top AP's IMHO---it's a crap shoot. As far as FP is concerned TOZ, Morini CM84E, Pardini are basically all that's out there with the TOZ winning hands down in being the gun to shoot in FP.

Post by Guest »

Having shot the MG-1 for a little over a year(15,000 rounds) I have found it to be a decent AP. When you could get these well made APs for around $825 it was a no brainer. Now that they are closer to $1000 other pistols start to become a factor. The only problem with the pistol I have had was with the loading gate lever. The sides of the lever sprung a little and wasn't engaging the balls very well. A little compression and I have not has a problem since. Nice gun, easy to load, great balance and trigger. Like Lance Armstrong says "it ain't the bike". This pistol is as accurate as any of the other high end pistols and the few hundred dollars that you save will keep you in pellets and targets for several years to come.

Post by Guest »

Bob Riegl wrote:Their Free Pistol and Air Pistol---the 84E and 162EI---are without equal. The rest of Morini's stuff, the MG series and CM 22 have issues that frankly IMHO smack of poor engineering and/or manufacture. Additionally which Morini is making which Morini guns---is it Swiss or Italian????
Cesare Morini (the man) helped establish the company (initially in Italy) which bears his name as the primary designer of its products. The company then moved to Switzerland to avoid the bureaucratic laws surrounding the manufacture of firearms in Italy. After nearly bankrupting the company with expensive esoteric designs which weren’t getting past prototype stage, and developing a reputation of being a difficult man to get along with, in 1995 investors in Morini (the company) bought out Morini's (the man's) share. They also bought the rights to continue to use his personal name as the company's - and thus Cesare Morini can no longer name a company after himself.
Morini (the man) returned to Italy, designed some firearms for SAM, (in association with Hammerli and also Anschutz), then established Match Guns.
There is now no working or financial relationship between Morini (the company based in the Italian speaking part of Switzerland - producing pistol models prefixed "CM") and Cesare Morini the man designing pistols in Italy under the name Match Guns (producing pistol models prefixed "MG").
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Ah so desuka! Thanks for that explanation Guest, it helps me to understand the rigamarole I went through when I bought one of the first MG-2's that Don Nygord imported---that was the biggest machinists nightmare and complex gun I have ever seen in my long life---and additionally the biggest piece of crap I have ever used bar none. This gun was so-o-o-o bad that Don gave me my money back, you have never seen a cartridge jam-up until you witness one in an MG-2. His "re-design " of the Hammerli FP in the FP-10 was another Morini beaut. I will refrain from making any further comments on the man or the gun whether it came from Switzerland or Italy. My lips are sealed in this matter forever.

Post by Guest »

I remember that there was a problem with the early MG-2's feeding corectly. I believe that problem has been fixed and many folks are quite happy with the MG-2 now.

I have been shooting an MG-1 for a while now (12,000 rounds) and have had no difficulties or problems at all. I shot several different models of FWB over the years and find the MG-1 to be every bit as good as the FWB's. I know two other people who own MG-1's and one had a problem with the loading lever the same problem as another poster on this thread. But all and all a very well made AP and easy to shoot well.
Darren M

Re: How does the Match GUn MG-1 compare to other pistols?

Post by Darren M »

Hi this is a very late add. If anyone can help that would be great. My MG1 is now suffering from the same lever issue. I was wondering if anyone in the thread or anyone else can advise how to patch or fix it. When it is minor it isn't a huge issue but sometimes it will pop up after a shot and it's annoying and I'm not shooting well at the moment so anything to rub salt in the wound is bad. Can anyone explain what the post about compression means?
Any ideas will be appreciated. Match gun states I need a whole new lever. It seems a bit over the top if others were talking about other fixes.