Am I expecting too much

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Tangohammerli

Am I expecting too much

Post by Tangohammerli »

As mentioned in another post, I started shooting AP back in oct of 18. I have been shooting regularly since about mid november but practice only 30-50 shots almost every day.
Is it impractical to believe that my recent 527/600
is substandard for my experience?
I don't have a coach available to me..
BTW I am no spring chicken at 53..
william

Re: Am I expecting too much

Post by william »

Without a coach or somebody like one, chances are you're only repeating and reinforcing mistakes.

What are your expectations? Are there physical considerations? When do you practice? Have you read any of the numerous threads here dealing with the differences between practice and training?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Tangohammerli wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm As mentioned in another post, I started shooting AP back in oct of 18. I have been shooting regularly since about mid november but practice only 30-50 shots almost every day.
is substandard for my experience?
I don't have a coach available to me..
BTW I am no spring chicken at 53..
I help coach a collegiate team. We have about 15 shooters who started air pistol in September, never having shot anything before. They typically practice for about 3/4 of an hour several days a week. Very few of them are close to averaging 527/600 at this time.

Given the lack of a coach, I think you are doing just fine. Just having a coach isn't a magic cure. You need a good one, and you need to listen to their advice. The target you posted doesn't show an consistent pattern to the poorer shots, so it doesn't look like you've developed any particularly awful bad habits.

You could probably learn a lot if you invested in an electronic trainer like a Scatt.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Given the lack of a coach, I think you are doing just fine. Just having a coach isn't a magic cure. You need a good one, and you need to listen to their advice. The target you posted doesn't show an consistent pattern to the poorer shots, so it doesn't look like you've developed any particularly awful bad habits.
Realistically truthful.....enjoy the journey and reap the rewards in time.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Tangohammerli wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:46 pm I started shooting AP back in oct of 18. … practice only 30-50 shots almost every day.
is substandard for my experience? Image
527 is slightly above expectations, i think.
Do you really need any coach? With an intelligent, analytical approach you may do well without. (You, yourself are probably your best coach).
And, read instuctions for proper shooting technique at internet.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

When I started trying 10m AP in 2011 it was with a Gamo Center spring-piston air pistol, which I modified in a number of ways to perform better and to fit my hand. After several months my scores climbed from around 400/600 to just over 500/600, whereupon I bought a used Baikal 46m. With that one it was easy to score 535/600 immediately, primarily owing to the extreme focus I'd had to bring to the weird little springer pistol, which had a diagonal recoil to contend with. The Baikal was like a scalpel by comparison. That's when the much more difficult phase started. Getting from 535 to 553 took another couple of years, and a Pardini K10, then a K12. During those couple of years I typically trained with the pistol an hour per day, plus weights and stretching. In the end I hurt my shoulder and had to stop. A shame, as I really hoped to advance to 'Master' status, but couldn't quite get there in competitions.

I'd suggest caution as regards overdoing the physical stuff. Train smart, not excessively. Read and watch videos and listen to advice and do your best to find out a method which works best for you. I tried every sort of sight picture, variations in arm/shoulder posture, longer and shorter front sight placement, various grip modifications, all sorts of stance/angle stuff... this is a complicated sport. But your progress in such a short time seems just fine to me.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd say that you are doing OK. Things could be worse...you're headed up. I've been bleeding points for four years.
Tangohammerli

Re: Am I expecting too much/ new match result

Post by Tangohammerli »

latest 60 shot match shows improvement from last..
I did change pistols from a 162ei to the K12.
And a change in pellets from Meist. Pro 4.50
to some very old Nygord packaged 4.49, that I purchased from Don Nygord, prior to his passing.
My coaches are other shooters who have been down this path and currently shoot or have shot at the International level in Great Britain and Canada.