LP10 Front Sight Adjustment

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ihasagun

LP10 Front Sight Adjustment

Post by ihasagun »

I have a used LP10 on the way from Pilkington. I wanted the compact but he did not have the parts to convert it for me, and the price was too good to pass up. I will be using it with compact cylinders for reduced weight. I'd like to know if there is a way to mount the front sight further to the rear than is accommodated by the holes. I notice some grooves with holes behind the front sight, which I think are for adding weights, so I am hoping there is a way to use one of those, maybe by mounting an adapter.
Rover

Re: LP10 Front Sight Adjustment

Post by Rover »

Fuhgeddaboudit!

In my experiments with front sights with two different guns, I found no difference in performance.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

the 3 holes in the grooves are not threaded. They are there to allow the vented barrel to do its thing and expel air.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Thanks. I will just move it to the rearmost position.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I drilled and tapped a hole further back on my LP10. The front sight sits a bit higher this way, but it's manageable with rear sight adjustment. I've been shooting this way for years.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Did you have an issue with front sight width? My BF has his LP 10 front sight set as far as possible to the rear using the positions provided, and it is already almost too wide to detect centering between the two rear posts. So I thought maybe the compact comes with a narrower front sight or a wider opening for the rear sight?
Rover

Post by Rover »

On my LP1, I bought a wider front sight. On my SAM10, a wider front was not easily available, so I moved it all the way to the rear as I tried with my LP1. As I said, there appeared to be no difference in performance. Both guns have adjustable rear notches. For me, all guns come with a too narrow front sight. I have also cut U-notches with a chain saw file in sights that were not adjustable and been perfectly happy.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

The front sight came installed all the way forward. When we tried to remove the screw to relocate the sight rearward the head of the screw stripped. We were careful to use the correct bit size, and my friend works on mechanical stuff professionally, so I’m wondering if the previous owner used the wrong color thread lock. So it’s stuck in the front position for now. My friend says he knows how to fix it.
JariN

Post by JariN »

I had the same problen with my LP10. You could try to remove the socket screw with torx T8 bit if you can find one that small. This has done the trick many times when I have destroyed a socket with allen wrench.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

I noticed my friends LP10 has a socket screw for his LP10’s front sight, but mine is mounted with a screw that takes a philips head screw driver. So maybe it’s the wrong screw and that’s why it is stuck?
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Probably. Now that it's cammed out though, you'll need to drill the head. The lower part of the screw will probably come right out once it's gone. It's very common in many guns for the front sight screw to stick like this. The screw literally stretches when tightened, and the threads lock. Once the stretching force is released, the threads do too.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you can, use a left hand drill bit. That way the drilling forces will try to unscrew it. Also, a drop or two of Kroil penetrating oil will often help a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penet ... B000F09CF4

This stuff works better than any other penetrating oil I've tried. How many things on Amazon have a rating of 4.8 stars with almost 800 reviews?
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Thanks. I ordered that oil. Well see about getting a left hand drill bit this weekend along with a replacement screw. Luckily, we can take the screw out of my friend's LP10 and go look for a match at Home Depot or Lowes. That approach worked recently in finding a screw to attach my LP10 grip, as discussed in another thread.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

I predict it's an M3 flathead, and you'll need it to be quite short. Sometimes this means grinding down the tip of the shortest screw you can find. You can use a hex key in the socket to stabilize the head in order to achieve a square angle when doing this.

Go easy when using Kroil on the airgun. It "creeps" and can really get into places far from where you apply it, over time. You don't want it in the seals! Use some non-petroleum solvent to wipe up if needed.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Tried to get one locally but there is nothing that small. It does look to be an m3 though.
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

Getting that screw out was an ordeal. We got a left hand bit but it didn’t work. I tried the Kroil too, but it turns out that I grabbed a can of stillhouse mint whiskey by mistake. The Kroil was sitting on my counter in an almost identical, but smaller, can. Oh well. Eventually, we just drilled out the head, then drilled a hole in the remaining shaft, inserted a hex head, and unscrewed it. It was pretty drunk, so it squealed with glee before throwing up. Anyway, mission accomplished, I guess.

There was some copper colored foil under the sight that came out in two pieces. I blame the whiskey. Am I supposed to use that foil for something?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The foil may have been to raise the front slight slightly so the rear sight didn't bottom out on the grip.

I've had to shim a Morini front sight so the rear wouldn't bottom out (mechanically, not on the grip).
ihasagun

Post by ihasagun »

That makes sense. I’ll save the foil in case I need a shim. Pilkguns is sending me a pair of new screws for the front sight and a screw for the grip along with the compensator that I ordered, so I will be sighting it back in soon.