New to the sport and front sight questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Fwerk300

New to the sport and front sight questions

Post by Fwerk300 »

We bought my daughter a FWB 8oo Junior and she is doing well with it. The front sight iris is clear plastic(?). It was recommended that the move to on of the sights with the bars to help with the leveling of the rifle. Now looking at the options out there I have some questions. First, I went to Gehmann's page, mostly as I recognize the name and have been happy with their other products. The myriad of options is somewhat dizzying. It looks like the 520-22 would be the correct option.

520-22 Foresight iris M.22
•Infinitely adjustable
•Ring thickness of the iris: 1.5mm
•Horizontal level bars ◦520-22A adjustable from 2.4 - 4.4mm
◦520-22B adjustable from 4.0 - 6.0mm
◦520-22C adjustable from 2.9 - 4.9mm

So do I order the sight with all three iris options and then have her try them? Is this the best way to go, or should I look to another brand? Is there a real benefit to the horizontal bars, she does cant the rifle in to her chest slightly so if can't adjust the lay of the horizontal lines they will not be horizontal with the ground - or is that the point, to ensure the rifle is actually vertical?

So many questions, thank you in advance.
Tim S

Re: New to the sport and front sight questions

Post by Tim S »

Hi,

Horizontal bars can help to monitor the angle of the rifle; in Smallbore we have the luxury of using spirit levels too. The idea is to set the bars so these are level, when the rifle is held at your chosen angle; the rifle may be canted or upright. Rifle cant is partly a matter of personal preference and comfort. However canting inwards (to your head) may allow your head to be more upright. Canting also swings the sightline towards the eye, which can be useful if you have a broad face.

In terms of the adjustment options, I'd only buy the one. Based on current coaching advice the B or C seem to fit best for 10m AR. The A model would be best for prone Smallbore on a standard barrel, as the tighter hold allows a slightly smaller aperture.
Roustabout

Post by Roustabout »

What front sight is on the rifle now? 18 or 22mm? Is it cant adjustable (can you rotate the body). Pull the clear plastic apeture and see what size is stamped on it. To start with, the front iris opening needs to be about twice as big as the bull when looking through the sights in postion. Pick one that leaves room to adjust bigger or smaller. There is not a simple answer on what size to get. It depends on sight radius, distance to target, and target size.
Roustabout

Post by Roustabout »

Take a look at champion choice. Anschutz, gehmann, and Centra all make great sights.
justadude

Post by justadude »

You are focusing on adjustable aperture options. One thing to consider regarding 10m air rifle is that across disciplines and competitions you are pretty much always shooting at the same size black. Just about always indoors, usually with predictable lighting. (Yes, there are some older ranges where things are a bit dim.)

As you are not shooting different size blacks you might consider fixed apertures, 4.2 to 4.6mm in a sight tunnel with angle adjustable or if necessary, removable bars. (Given that 10m Air Rifle limits the sight radius it is much easier to recommend a specific aperture size range) At the same time, assuming young eyes, for air rifle the 1mm ring thickness is where you want to be. I personally shoot a 22mm CENTRA tunnel with high end apertures. This might be a little more expensive than where you want to go at first, so the standard plexi apertures in a tunnel that has the adjustable bars might be a fine place to start.

Good Luck
'Dude
dakota308

Post by dakota308 »

I think that before a sight change is made, more information is needed. You say you bought your daughter a FWB 800 junior and is new to the sport, but neglect some other vital info. I assume she is a junior and is shooting 3P and standing. How much experience does she have? What kind of scores is she shooting? Assuming she is shooting both 3P and standing, does she cant in all positions and is the cant the same in all positions? How many times a week is she shooting?

My first impression is making a sight change for cant is a advanced change and since you say your daughter is new to the sport, may beyond her ability at this time. Generally most juniors need to work on technique, position and hold, rather than chasing equipment.

Corey
Fwerk300

Post by Fwerk300 »

Very sorry to all for falling, work and all... let me answer some of the questions...

The front sight is 22mm.

My daughter is a J3. She has been shooting since for 4 years now. 3 years of BB which overlapped with 2 years of sorter and some precision. Now we are all precision and preparing for smallbore. She is shooting 3P and standing and generally shooting 570+ in 3P and 550+ in standing. The cant is only in Standing. She generally shoots 3 to 4 times a week. She has done two rounds of CMP summer 3P camp and we are off to standing camp. We made the regional match with her team.

Thank you.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Thinking out loud for a minute.....
1) She is doing really well, good on ya.
2) On 3 p gun, the bars on a front sight will not usually be horizontal in all 3 positions for a single adjustment point. The idea that it helps you repeat a solid standing position is valid, but once you get fully adjusted and used to holding a rifle, its need is greatly diminished.
3) Guys and gals think differently, so MAYBE she should ask a highly rated female shooter what sbe thinks about it, they think the same and I bet tbere are insights there that could be best communicated with a girl chat..... She migbt even find a mentor, you never know, Phone calls are cheap and maybe she will get to a place where she starts asking you for what she needs....... I hope this helps.....
Fwerk300

Post by Fwerk300 »

Thank you for the thoughts and insight.
Hunterdude

Post by Hunterdude »

Hello, I am Not a competitive match shooter, however I have owned some Feinwerkbau match air rifles and Really like the clear front sight insert. I am a machinist and make my own on a lathe with different size holes to allow experiments with amount of white I see around the black...as these are so easy to make, and she is shooting well with them all ready, a horizontal line could easily be scribed in the clear plastic as a reference. Just a thought, I would personally prefer not to go back to metal inserts after shooting the clear version....of course your milage may vary. -Ben

PS: the sight picture might look like this. -o-