Morini 162ei air cylinder dates

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
grofteevan

Morini 162ei air cylinder dates

Post by grofteevan »

Just started shooting 10 meter three months back and am interested in competing. I bought a second hand Morini 162ei and the cylinders say “10 year max - 2017” on them. Does that mean they can’t be used in competition now, or in 2027?
David Levene

Re: Morini 162ei air cylinder dates

Post by David Levene »

If there is only one date then that is the date of manufacture/test. Under ISSF rules add 10 years.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

So mine read "03.10". Does that mean March 2010 or does it mean October 2003?

Dennis in Prescott
spektr

Post by spektr »

Gentlemen
The 10 year rule is NOT something ISSF invented.
It is in compliance with European Pressure Vessel Law for internally uninspectable vessels which are also adopted by reference by the DOT in tbe USA.
The law requires the manufacturing date to be listed by the Quarter and tbe year.
If it is marked, 03/10. It is allowed to remain in service until the end of the 3rd quarter
of 2020.
The Morini Cylinder referenced has a non standard production date, and defaults to 1st quarter
of 2017, this cylinder may remain in service until tbe end of tbe first quarter of 2027....
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

spektr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:52 pm The law requires the manufacturing date to be listed by the Quarter and tbe year.
If it is marked, 03/10. It is allowed to remain in service until the end of the 3rd quarter
of 2020.
You learn something new every day; thank you.
spektr

Post by spektr »

The Specifics on tbe law are here

PED 97/23/EC

Annex 1 Article 1 (1)
Article 1 (2.3)
Article 1 (2.5)
Annex 3,. 1.1

What you will find after digesting this is your answer...... Pay special attention to tbe 10 year record keeping requirements for cylindersdesigned without dedicated internal condition inspection access.
Rover

Post by Rover »

grofteevan wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:44 am Just started shooting 10 meter three months back and am interested in competing. I bought a second hand Morini 162ei and the cylinders say “10 year max - 2017” on them. Does that mean they can’t be used in competition now, or in 2027?
Unless you're competing at the Olympic Training Center or Ft. Benning, I would just fuggedaboutit,
spektr

Post by spektr »

If you believe in the law, it is actually illegal to refill the tanks past their end of life dates.....
The law is inadequately enforced.
The ISSF rule that some pooh pooh is in fact the right way to do it.
We as gentlemen can agree to disagree, but it is intellectually dishonest to knowingly break the law and flaunt what we feel is its absurdity.
We should perform to the requirements or cause the requirements to be officially changed. Spec reading is a large part of my job in the Aerospace
game, and I am very wary of the impacts of unintended consequence......
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

I respect SPEKTR's opinion regarding following the law. The world would probably be a better place if more folks adhered to it. However, there are some cases where the law is absurd. Think of any dictatorship in recent history for many examples. Or any democratic country for that matter. Of course, changing it is the proper way to approach the problem.

I'd feel a lot better if I understood the reasons behind the current rules. Although I'm not a long time AP shooter, I seem to have NEVER noticed any rash of exploding AP tanks. Someone please correct me if I have missed something, but the current rules seem overly cautious, and, given the cost of new tanks, must be putting a fair bit of change in the manufacturer's pockets. And please don't tell me how cheap a new tank is when amortized over the service life of my existing tank. I get that. Nevertheless, using my old tanks when they become outdated is still WAY cheaper than buying new ones.

Dennis in Prescott
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Before the current rules/laws went into effect, several air pistol vendors rated their cylinders for a 20 year service life. If you believe that those cylinders suddenly became unsafe with the stroke of some bureaucrat's pen, they you are free to spend your money buying new ones.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

spektr wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:01 pm The Specifics on tbe law are here

PED 97/23/EC

Annex 1 Article 1 (1)
Article 1 (2.3)
Article 1 (2.5)
Annex 3,. 1.1

What you will find after digesting this is your answer...... Pay special attention to tbe 10 year record keeping requirements for cylinders designed without dedicated internal condition inspection access.
Walther's latest pistol (LP500) claims to have a 20 year service life on their cylinders, which are carbon fiber and aluminum. I wonder how they got around both the law and the ISSF rules...?

Check out the fine print on page 3: https://www.carl-walther.com/fileadmin/ ... 280%29.pdf
Rover

Post by Rover »

Walther is a big company; maybe they just want to throw this silliness back in the face of the ISSF.

Perhaps our pal Ulrich will sign in on this and give us a clue.

I do seem to recall a post on TT saying that the cylinders were too small to be covered by the "law."