Practicing with Mid-grade (as opposed to match-grade) Ammo?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mhampel

Practicing with Mid-grade (as opposed to match-grade) Ammo?

Post by mhampel »

My Walther KK500 shoots many lots of mid-grade ammo pretty well. (SK Standard and Rilfe Match, Eley Club, RWS Rifle Match, etc) . I have been practising with less than match grade lots. I feel that I get accurate enough feedback to determine when I break a less than perfect shot. I just ignore fliers - especially the occasional straight out the bottom low shot.
I am curious about what others do. I know some competitors are using their best ammo for practice. I guess I'm frugal.
coaching

Re: Practicing with Mid-grade (as opposed to match-grade) Ammo?

Post by coaching »

I am also a little stingy and if the less than top notch ammo works for practice, use it!! Don in Oregon
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Yeah, go for it.

I've used RWS Rifle Match for training with good results, along with Eley Match and Team/Edge. Especially for indoor/short-range training where there is no wind and less dispersion.

The Tenex or R50 is hoarded for competition or specific training activities where I want to prove something with tested ammo.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

SK+ is currently my practice and good ammo. I had a pretty good performance at a conventional prone match this summer with SK+, with almost all shots at least in the 10 at 100. If I get more serious about prone, I may have to upgrade. Mostly, I shoot indoors, so I think the SK+ is great.

I have used some Norma Match before, but it is nearly gone and I don't think it was any better than SK+ for my new rifle.

Unfortunately, my new rifle does not like to chamber CCI SV, otherwise that would be my practice ammo. I am going to try Federal 711 and see if that chambers and shoots well at indoor distances.
methosb

Post by methosb »

At high level shooting at some point it can be hard to tell what can be attributed to tiny details of position or process and what is just ammunition inconsistency. This is why some higher level shooters will be using higher level ammunition in practice eg. Eley Match. But this is people who are concerned with shooting 10.4+ not just 10s. So just use ammo that makes sense for your level. As you get better you will begin to realise when you need to upgrade when you can't tell if it was you or the ammo that are causing your shots to go where they are going.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

imo, 10 shots with good ammo for good feedback is better than 20 shots with "so-so" ammo and questionable feedback.
btw: some of my best practice sessions were 20 or 30 shots total for the day.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...