Value of upgrading to an aluminum stock

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ProdigalSon

Value of upgrading to an aluminum stock

Post by ProdigalSon »

I’ve been shooting a KK300 Universal for a couple of years and I’m continuing to see improvement. However, I’ve had to play with adding stock weights to balance the front-heavy nature of it and the adjustability is minimal, albeit still better than the 1903 I first learned on. I’ve looked at getting a better stock but they’re quite expensive. How valuable would an Alutec or similar be for someone that is on the more experienced end of being a beginner rifle shooter? Can anyone hear speak to any experience they have making a similar upgrade?
Tim S

Re: Value of upgrading to an aluminum stock

Post by Tim S »

I switched from a Standard stock (Anschutz 1407) to a Free Rifle (Anschutz 1813) then an alu (System Gemini) some years ago. Fundamentally a stock has to fit and let you aim consistently and transfer recoil consistently. For me the 1813 and Gemini did these better than the 1407.

The Walther Universal is based on the old ISU Standard rifle, and has limited adjustment, and that thick fore-end. The Alutec stock will place the barrel a little lower in your hand, so you may need sight raisers. The Alutec also allows you to refine the fit of the butt, cheekpiece, and grip.

The value depends on you. If you want to be very competitive, and shoot for many more years, an alu stock should allow you to shoot more consistent scores. The old Standard stocks can shoot very high scores, but for most you have to work a little harder. In this case the cost is a good long term investment. However if you're a club shooter, who is happy with your current performance, you may not see your money's worth back. An alu stock needs to be properly adjusted. Doing this yourself if you aren't experienced can be a slow and frustrating process - not always though. If you have access to a coach/instructor, or an experienced shooter who is familiar with these stocks, that helps.