Single or two stage triggers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Giddaymate

Single or two stage triggers

Post by Giddaymate »

Ok the question is what is the preferred method in precision shooting 1 or 2 stage triggers and why?
Tim S

Re: Single or two stage triggers

Post by Tim S »

Giddaymate wrote:Ok the question is what is the preferred method in precision shooting 1 or 2 stage triggers and why?
Most folks use a two-stage. A two stage does allow allow a lighter release, or rather makes a light release safer. You can feel the trigger, with much less chance of a Negligent Discharge. Most match rifles have had a two-stage trigger as standard since the 1970s. This may be a factor in the popularity, as club shooters often don't touch the trigger.

That said some very good shooters prefer single stage; Warren Potent and Guy Starik spring to mind. I believe that most current two stage triggers can be set as single stage if you want.

In practise most two stage users will take up the first stage as they exhale, and release it as a single stage.
dc.fireman

Post by dc.fireman »

My initial preference was for a two stage trigger.

As I got better, I grew to appreciate a very light single stage trigger. The slight change in geometry, when pulling through the first stage, makes getting the finger in a consistent spot somewhat difficult. With a very light single stage, I've found my finger placement to be far more consistent. I also have zero over travel in the trigger.

If you have an adjustable trigger, play around with both settings, to see which one you prefer. There's a reason they make chocolate & vanilla ice cream!
Giddaymate

Post by Giddaymate »

Good answer. Thanks