Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Barrel?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Scrench

Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Barrel?

Post by Scrench »

On your competition Olympic 10 Meter pistol, how often do you clean the barrel?

1. Before every round of a match.
2. Before every match.
3. Only when I notice accuracy decreasing.
4. Never.
5. Other.

Bonus question:
How many shots do you have to fire on average to get the barrel shooting accurately again?

Thanks for your participation!
Scrench
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: Poll: How Often Do You Clean Your Barrel?

Post by atomicgale »

Never. EVER!

3 felt pellets at end of each practice.

$13.00 for 500. Champions Choice: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... &item=V761
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

atomicgale wrote:Never. EVER!

3 felt pellets at end of each practice.

$13.00 for 500. Champions Choice: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... &item=V761
Seconded ...
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Never. Not even felt pellets. After 15 years since I bought it, I sent it off to Pilkguns for a complete overhaul. I don't know if they cleaned the barrel or not...
greentangerine

Post by greentangerine »

Gwhite wrote:Never. Not even felt pellets. After 15 years since I bought it, I sent it off to Pilkguns for a complete overhaul. I don't know if they cleaned the barrel or not...
To qualify my previous comment, the felts do come out stained and improve the more felts you fire through; as to whether that improves the performance of the pistol, I'd like to believe so but in reality, probably not. It's a smooth bore with no rifling after all.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Last edited by renzo on Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

It’s says 10meter pistol. Which one would assume is air
sparky

Post by sparky »

Never.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

It's a smooth bore with no rifling after all.

You must have a different pistol to mine.....mine certainly has rifling.
David M

Post by David M »

Annually, whether it needs it or not...

A annual intense clean with VFG cleaning felts, rod and paste seems to work.
It is amazing how much lead comes out on multiple felts.
Plus the occasional felt pellet at the end of a match.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

A gunsmith friend of mine who bought a used Morini 162 clamped it into a ransom rest and fired 5 pellets into a target at 10 metres.
It resulted in a group marginally smaller than the nine ring.

He then removed the barrel and plugged one end and filled with Hoppes 9 bore solvent and left it to stand overnight .

After releasing the bore solvent and scrubbing the softened residue, and putting patches through until clean the ransom test was repeated.

The result produced a 5 shot one hole group.

Now I don’t know what others draw from this experiment but I patch my bore occasionally with solvent and ensure there are no lead deposits remaining and accuracy is at a premium.
Last edited by deadeyedick on Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
j-team

Post by j-team »

deadeyedick wrote:A gunsmith friend of mine who bought a used Morini 162 clamped it into a ransom rest and fired 5 pellets into a target at 10 metres.
It resulted in a group marginally smaller than the nine ring.
Hmmm... Do you know that you can put the pellets in backwards or squash them between your fingers and they will still shoot within the 10 ring? I find it hard to believe that a dirty barrel can cause a group "marginally smaller than the nine ring". The only way I could get the groups to really open up when testing in a machine rest was to get a knife and cut a portion of the pellets skirt off before firing. Maybe your friend didn't tighten the rest up properly first time? Or the barrel was loose in the pistol for the first test but then tightened properly once it was refitted after the Hoppes treatment?

BTW, I never clean my air pistol barrel, but I hardly use it these days so so that's not really surprising. I have a packet of those felt pellets, have had them for 20 years, still looks full.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I cleaned mine once, after I stuck a couple pellets on top of each other,
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Do you know that you can put the pellets in backwards or squash them between your fingers and they will still shoot within the 10 ring?
That’s quite a statement ..had you said the 8 ring I might not have had such a large smile and temptation to squash some pellets and then do the ransom rest test.....

Let’s assume your claim were to be true...It sure makes a mockery of the argument regarding pellet quality and 4.49 versus 4.50 etc.

Hell you could empty the tin into your toolbox, let them rattle around with tools and pick them out when needed to shoot with confidence, let alone spending heaps on trays of selected batches.

By the way I would like to hear from other AP owners that have smooth bores ( apart from those owning pistols made for kids ). I feel quite privileged having grooves and lands.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

When accuracy starts decreasing and when I don't plan on using my airpistols for an extended period of time.

I clean the bore until the patches come out white, leaving a thin coating of grease, when using the pistol again, I remove the excess grease and "reseason" the bore if necessary.
j-team

Post by j-team »

deadeyedick wrote: Let’s assume your claim were to be true...It sure makes a mockery of the argument regarding pellet quality and 4.49 versus 4.50 etc.
Here: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... up#p223989
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

And silly me thought the group shown was from squashed pellets or maybe pellets inserted backwards.

However after reading the text I instead found it was from legitimate unmolested pellets.

Come on J...you can do better...show me the ransom squashed and reversed test !
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

deadeyedick wrote:By the way I would like to hear from other AP owners that have smooth bores ( apart from those owning pistols made for kids ). I feel quite privileged having grooves and lands.
Speaking of smooth bores, it would be interesting to see a FX smooth twist pistol barrel concept having pinpoint accuracy at 10 meters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPF6dWAqfhY
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Regarding the SMOOTH TWIST YouTube above: Are marketers utter and complete IDIOTS?

These marketers state their Smooth Twist will "increase the ballistic coefficient." So, that means their barrel will actually change the shape of the projectile? REALLY?

And WTF does "this boosts the Precision Ratio of each shot" mean?

Maybe bring back the Flobart Competition where competitors shoot at each other. This time it's the Team Event: Marketers vs. Physicists.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Fun stuff!

Once in a while I'll break the ends off a Q-Tip and shoot them into a waste basket. Usually there's some black crap on them. I haven't seen any "accuracy" effects, but I haven't really looked.