MEC Duplex on Feinwerkbau 800 rear sight-help!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bberg7794

MEC Duplex on Feinwerkbau 800 rear sight-help!

Post by bberg7794 »

Greetings,

I just received a MEC/Centra Duplex and Lenshood II that I purchased for my new Feinwerkbau 800W. I shoot 4-position with this air rifle and have difficulty controlling the occasional unwanted '9' in the steadier positions, which I attribute to cheek misalignment. I was very much looking forward to trying the Duplex ring in an attempt to solve this problem, but the Lenshood that the MEC Catalog says is for the Feinwerkbau rear sight (p/n: 19918811) will not fit inside the elongated slot at the front of the sight.

Does anyone know if there is a modification required to the rear sight prior to this lens hood fitting? Or if there is a different lenshood that will fit inside the elongated slot?

Who has been down this road?

Any advice appreciated,

Brian
justadude

Re: MEC Duplex on Feinwerkbau 800 rear sight-help!

Post by justadude »

The FWB rear sight does have that big blocky hood on it.
This sight gets the job done but is not particularly robust so changing it out for one of the more robust aftermarket sights is a very viable option.
Failing that solution, there is a small screw on the side of the sight, remove that screw and the hood comes right off. You might be able to screw the duplex in with the hood removed.
This does leave the guts of the sight exposed and they are not particularly pretty to look at so this is a marginal solution but a solution.
'dude
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

One item that seems not to be addressed in the various replies is the need for the Collimator, item 19918814. That has the correct thread for the FWB sight.

Also, once you install the Collimator and Duplex please insure you have an insert for the duplex. This is a very necessary item. Depending on your sight radius and front sight size (18mm or 22mm) you will usually prefer something in the 3.4mm-3.8mm range.

Mark Trew
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Hi Mark,

I purchased a 4.0 mm duplex insert with the duplex and lenshood, but have not yet purchased a collimator. Adding the collimator will not cure my initial problem because the lenshood (item 19918811) is 0.468" in diameter and the opening at the front of the sight is 0.445". The lens hood is 1.342" away from the threaded portion of the sight where it needs to attach. P. 29 of the current MEC catalog shows what appears to be my rear sight with the lenshood/duplex installed, but after a closer look, the rear sight on my rifle does not have round adjustment knobs, but five-sided or pentagonal shaped knobs. I must have a newer version of the Feinwerkbau rear sight than the one illustrated in the catalog. My rifle has the 22mm front tunnel that came with the rifle currently installed and I have the system length is adjusted to the legal maximum, so the sight radius is approx. 33 1/2".

Dude-I was hoping to keep this rear sight on the rifle so I could save up to purchase an excellent rear sight for my smallbore rifle. But, I don't like that there is no printed scale on the sight, so I cannot tell by looking if it is where it needs to be for either 10 meters or 50 feet. I shoot both distances, sometimes both distances weekly, with this air rifle and it would be nice to be able to tell by looking at the sight where it was set. It would also be more convenient than counting 56 or so clicks up or down each time I was switching distances. Even so, if I could buy the correct lenshood, that would be my preferred solution for this indoor season.

Thanks guys. If anyone knows the answer, please share. Otherwise, I guess I have to email MEC.

brian