High velocity ammo in a TOZ 35.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
samg

High velocity ammo in a TOZ 35.

Post by samg »

Is it OK to use high velocity ammo in a TOZ 35. I have a bunch of high velocity ammo to use up so I wanted some opinions about using it in a free pistol. I checked the manual and there is nothing in there about ammo restrictions. Thanks.....
gimgim

Re: High velocity ammo in a TOZ 35.

Post by gimgim »

Precision may be lower, but I don't think there are other issues.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

At one point in time I used Federal Ultra Match which was a higher velocity ammo. It also grouped well. I consider a free pistol more like a scalpel than an axe so I personally would not shoot junk ammonout of it just to get rid of ammo.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

> I personally would not shoot junk ammonout of it just to get rid of ammo.

I ended up buying a ruger precision rimfire to my 9 y/o son to get rid of some high velocity ammo I bought by mistake.
spektr

Post by spektr »

It isnt the ammo velocity that is the issue, per se.
The issue is the hardness of the case.
Standard velocy ammo seems to have softer cases which is easier on the firing pin.
Aguilla ammo in particular is harder than many others, and firing pin life seems to suffer
Rover

Post by Rover »

Coming out of a pistol barrel, it's "Standard Velocity" anyway, so just shoot the stuff. It may be just as accurate as the "SV" you're using.

"Case hardness"? That's a new one on me!
samg

Post by samg »

Hi guys. Thanks for the opinions. That's exactly what happened. I bought two bricks of American eagle a while ago, without checking, and they turned out to be high velocity. So much for a good buy. I thought I remembered one of the school coaches posting a while ago that they used high velocity ammo in the free pistols when they received donated Ammo. I tried a box in the TOZ and it seemed to work OK, but I wanted to get some advice before I messed it up.
joel

Post by joel »

I could throw the American Eagle ammo better than I could shoot it. Total crap and I either give it away or shoot it out of the 10/22. Think I am finally down to 2 boxes.

Joel
Rover

Post by Rover »

It doesn't matter how crappy it is. It will work perfectly in your TOZ.
sparky

Post by sparky »

It’s a strong action for a .22. You’ll be fine.
BEA

Post by BEA »

The comment on brass hardness is new to me as well. For the manufacturers of 22 RF, it would be a nightmare to have to make different grades of brass and keep them separated. As for velocity, the optimum barrel length for a 22 LR is 12" to 14". Longer barrels actually start to cause drag on the bullet because the energy produced by the powder charge has been expended.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Have y’all seen a Toz-35 firing pin? It’s not exactly dainty.

I get the impression Russians aren’t big on delicate firearms.
spektr

Post by spektr »

The Russians had a wonderfull way of building things. Where it was important, they designed simple elegant mechanisms that bordered on jewelry. Where it didnt matter, they made things that looked like Thor hammered them out of recycled rebar across old tree stumps. The Toz is a perfect example of this. Magnificent trigger mechanism tripping a garish somewhat tubular firing pin that still has grinder marks on it. And lets not even talk about the frames, no 2 of them really the same, and the grip holes tossed in where they fit.... A beautiful thing really....
samg

Post by samg »

Thanks again guys for the valuable input. I guess I will go ahead and use the ammo. I agree that the action is strongly built and should be able to handle it. Have a good weekend all.....