That black dot at 50m ....

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
prowling

That black dot at 50m ....

Post by prowling »

I'm wondering if anyone else uses practice targets that have no scoring rings. I started doing this many years ago, to stop focusing on scoring and instead focus on performance.

I simply cut the exact size of the target's bull (the black section) out of a sheet of cardboard, and used the remaining portion as a stencil. I saved other pieces of flat, white cardboard and boxboard, and would spray a couple of them with flat black paint the night before heading to the range.

I typically would shoot 20 shots per target, and it allowed me to pay attention to my process, kinesthetic sense, optical awareness, and follow through.

So, does anybody else use a similar technique as part of their practice regime?

BTW: the majority of my trigger time with both Free Pistol and Air Pistol is dry fire, but I love being on the range!

Life Member USAShooting
Life Member NRA
Ramon OP

Re: That black dot at 50m ....

Post by Ramon OP »

I've seen French documentation recommending cutting of different portions of the black depending on your skill , to focus on getting everything in and not just tens, and to improve the sense of success.
Ramon
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

Plus, at least in some electronic target systems (like Disag) you can choose training exercises where you get a smaller black target on-screen (without changing the paper target) and you get a point if you land your shot within it.
Ramon
jerber

Post by jerber »

Ok
I'm a little confused here
Why not use a target and just don't add your scoring?
Just look at your group
It's not like you can see the scoring rings at 50 m so what's the difference?
prowling

Post by prowling »

One could do that too I suppose Jerber, if they can look past the rings. I know that, for me personally, that is damn-near impossible. If there are rings, I start tallying the score ... can't help myself.
Without scoring rings, it's obviously not an issue.
Your results, of course, will likely vary.
prowling

Post by prowling »

Ramon OP wrote:Plus, at least in some electronic target systems (like Disag) you can choose training exercises where you get a smaller black target on-screen (without changing the paper target) and you get a point if you land your shot within it.
That sounds pretty cool Ramon, do you shoot on a range with electronic target systems? I'd love to, but am just happy to have a 50m covered outdoor firing line with benches!
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

I'm a member of two ranges. The Disag targets are installed in the air range in my main club. They have Kongsberg targets for 22/38 for 25m and in my other range they have Meyton targets for everything. I have not figured out (not really tried) how to do it in the two latter ones yet.
Ramon
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

A great way to train. I simply color on the lines af all but the nine ring. I trained this way for years just focusing on grouping
prowling

Post by prowling »

I hear that Greg. It really seems to work for me, my focus has shifted from scores, to repeat performances, and that allows me to relax into the process and let go of the distraction of math ...
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

You can see scoring rings at 50m? I certainly can't if I'm focusing on the sights.

And changing the size of the black dot? Might work to help you up the difficulty if you're using a center aim, but seems if you aim sub six it won't be helpful at all.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
siordian1

Post by siordian1 »

Try it with no dot at all. Just like dry fire on a blank target. You want your groups to get smaller and smaller. I do that from time to time. It does help.