Change of forum name?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
prowling

Change of forum name?

Post by prowling »

Out of respect for the dearly departed Free Pistol from the Olympics after 120 years, perhaps changing the forum name to "International Pistol" or "ISSF Pistol" would be more correct? Just a thought.

(Sorry, still seething at the IOC's decision to drop 50m Pistol in 2020 ...)
Last edited by prowling on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life Member USAShooting
Life Member NRA
tray999

Re: Change of forum name?

Post by tray999 »

Agreed, bad decision by the IOC..... I would like to keep talking about Free Pistols, so maybe a name is in order.
prowling

Post by prowling »

BTW: I will make a donation to the TT efforts if this forum name is changed to ISSF Pistol, International Pistol, or something along those lines ... Seriously.
Life Member USAShooting
Life Member NRA
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Are you "THE" P Rowling?

PM please
prowling

Post by prowling »

Indeed, I am me ... PM sent.
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

air pistol, rapid fire pistol, and sport pistol are still current Olympic events
prowling

Post by prowling »

Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

prowling wrote:...
samg

Post by samg »

Prowling. Do you think there is any chance the event could be brought back? What would it take? Cheers...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

samg wrote:What would it take? Cheers...
An absolute miracle. Not a hope in Hades of it getting back into the Olympic programme.
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about bribes. They've worked in the past.
prowling

Post by prowling »

What David said ... or Rover, I suppose. Actually, the latter is more likely than the former.

But all kidding aside, there has never been a dropped shooting event that has returned in the history of the Olympic Games, to my knowledge. The graveyard includes 300m and 600m rifle events, Running Target (in various forms), Revolver and Military Rifle Matches, Double Trap, etc.

The only silver lining is that a grassroots, national and international interest will keep the event alive, and in competition at Olympic-level events such as the World Championships, World Cup Final, Pan-Am Games, Euro and Asian Championships, Commonwealth Games, etc.

I personally am trying to get a core of people at my local range interested in an occasional "Vintage Free Pistol Half Match" ... using the pre-finals rules, on paper targets, over a 30 shot course of fire (3x10 shot target strings), with x-count to break any ties. Open to anyone with a .22LR pistol that conforms to the limited number of rules for the discipline. Practically everyone that I shoot pistol with has a S&W 41, hot-rodded Ruger, or an old High Standard in their safes. And when you can pick up a Toz new for under $500 now, there is no reason for even the casually interested to not have a go at it.

My 2 cents, adjusted for inflation ...
Life Member USAShooting
Life Member NRA
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

prowling wrote:The only silver lining is that a grassroots, national and international interest will keep the event alive, and in competition at Olympic-level events such as the World Championships, World Cup Final, Pan-Am Games, Euro and Asian Championships, Commonwealth Games, etc.
Certainly not in World Cup Finals and unlikely in Commonwealth Games (even after Birmingham)
prowling

Post by prowling »

It would be a shame if it was dropped from the Commonwealth Games, but hey ... That's progress. Or, something.